Questions about Jackson and Thomas

We named our first son [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] ([name]Thomas[/name] being my wife’s maiden name). Now working on names for our second boy, and two of our classic choices are [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] (I like the boyish sound of [name]Tommy[/name] and the adult sound of [name]Tom[/name]).

Our questions are:

1. [name]How[/name] do people feel about using one child’s middle name as another child’s first name?

2. Would it be unwise to have two sons named [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Jackson[/name]? (Presidential?)

Or would we be better off using one of our more unconventional names (such as [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Edric[/name], or [name]Jasper[/name]).

• Thanks
  1. Normally, I do not care for the idea of using one child’s middle name as another child’s first name. However, in this case, since [name]Thomas[/name] is both a classic boy’s name AND your wife’s maiden name, you have justification for doing so, in my opinion. It is understandable to me that that parents might like for each son to have this meaningful and versatile name that lends itself to being used as a first, middle, and last name. So, I think it is warranted in your case.

2. If your sons’ first names were [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Jackson[/name], I do think the presidential reference would be very noticeable and people would probably assume that you and your wife were major [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] fans. There is nothing wrong with it, but people would likely comment on it all the time, which could get old pretty fast.

I vote for [name]Thomas[/name] for your second son. [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] make a great sibset.

I don’t see a huge problem with using [name]Thomas[/name] again as a first name. But I’d stay away from [name]Jackson[/name]. [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Jackson[/name] would never live it down, and neither would their parents. Have you considered [name]Timothy[/name]? Instead of [name]Tommy[/name] you get [name]Timmy[/name], and instead of [name]Tom[/name] you get [name]Tim[/name].

I’m not sure how I feel about it, I feel like the Presidential thing might not be a big deal or even an issue but then again it’s [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] people would think of if they did and he’s probably the last President I would want someone to think I was honoring or was a fan of.

Maybe you should do a poll?

[name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Edmund[/name] are both nicer than [name]Jackson[/name] in any case and [name]Andrew[/name] & [name]Jackson[/name] is not a workable pairing [name]IMO[/name]. And [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] wasn’t just a President but a pretty vile one, so there’s real baggage there.

I don’t think [name]Jackson[/name] is nearly as classic as all that, either. It’s popular at the moment - and has spawned [name]Jaxon[/name] and similar - but it’s not anything like [name]Andrew[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name] for longevity of historical use as a FN.

Thanks everyone for your input. In the end, we steered clear of both [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name]: [name]Jackson[/name] for obvious reasons, and [name]Thomas[/name] to avoid stepping on the first son’s toes. In addition to [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Edric[/name], and [name]Jasper[/name] listed above, our other final choices were [name]Henry[/name], [name]Dylan[/name], [name]Zachary[/name], [name]Edward[/name], and [name]Caleb[/name].

We decided to go with [name]Edward[/name], middle name [name]Louis[/name] (family name). As much as I loved [name]Edmund[/name], I had a hard time picturing it in my head. I felt [name]Zachary[/name] sounded too 1990s, and I couldn’t convince my wife on [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Caleb[/name]. [name]Henry[/name] came in second. We liked the strength and sophistication of [name]Edward[/name], plus the fact it actually hasn’t gotten any more popular after Twilight (perhaps even less so!). I’m a history nerd, so it’s associated in my mind with [name]Edward[/name] the Confessor, [name]Edward[/name] the [name]Bruce[/name], and wonderful Edwardian [name]England[/name], and so on; especially fitting since my family’s origin is Irish/Scotch and English. It’s also got abundant nicknames, and it sounds good in combination with our first son’s name, [name]Andrew[/name]: Spelled with mostly the same letters, with a similar cadence, but yet a different sound and not rhyming.

Thanks again!

[name]Edward[/name] [name]Louis[/name] is a great name! Congratulations!

Those are two very well-named little boys! [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Edward[/name] [name]Louis[/name] are such handsome names. Great job, and congratulations!

[name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Jackson[/name] are definitely presidential together, but they sound fine together. I agree with you on the [name]Thomas[/name] / [name]Tommy[/name] / [name]Tom[/name] feeling … love the names! <3 Andrew and Thomas work well together, and if you look at Elvis Presley, his name was Elvis Aaron and he had a twin named Aaron Elvis.