Questions about names

My family’s tradition is to give a Hebrew name as well as an English name. The Hebrew name is not something that she will be called on a day to day basis- my Hebrew name isn’t even on my birth certificate. [name]Even[/name] though it won’t be used often, I want it to be a nice name.

I was wondering whether you think the Hebrew girl’s name [name]Noa[/name] sounds silly because of the popularity of the boy’s name [name]Noah[/name], even though [name]Noa[/name] is a very popular girl’s name in [name]Israel[/name], and has nothing to do with the boy’s name [name]Noah[/name] ([name]Noa[/name] means motion).

Could [name]Noa[/name] work for a girl in the US or would people roll their eyes and think that I was giving a name like [name]Michael[/name] or [name]David[/name] to a girl? Can you see a girl named [name]Noa[/name] liking her name?

Some other options for her Hebrew name:

[name]Tali[/name] or [name]Talia[/name] (means dew)
[name]Maya[/name] (means water)
[name]Shira[/name] (means song)
[name]Tova[/name] (pn TOE-va - means good)
[name]Aya[/name] (pn like [name]Maya[/name] w/o the M - means bird)
[name]Galia[/name] (means wave)
[name]Adi[/name] (pn [name]AH[/name]-di- like ‘open ah’ - means jewel)
[name]Ariel[/name] (god’s lion)
[name]Ziva[/name] (splendour)
Nitzan (pn knee-TZAN- means bud)
[name]Bina[/name] ([name]BEE[/name]-na- means wise)
[name]Ayala[/name]- (means deer)

Which one do you like best?

Not a fan of [name]Noa[/name] myself, but if you like it, that’s all that matters.
I love:
[name]Tali[/name]
[name]Tova[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]

My favorite is [name]Tova[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Noa[/name]! It is on my list of favorites as well. I think it is sophisticated, gorgeous, and even a little edgy. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about the similarity to [name]Noah[/name], they are two completely different names that are even pronounced differently when said correctly in Hebrew - [name]Noah[/name] is pronounced no-ACH, and [name]Noa[/name] is pronounced NO-ah. The spelling and sound are very feminine.

Also, if you consider how many girls in the US have been given flat out boy names like [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Taylor[/name], etc. and no one really thinks twice about that anymore, why not name your daughter a legitimate girl name that is absolutely beautiful. If people ask about her name being a boy name, it’s a great opportunity for them to learn about the name’s history in the Hebrew language and your heritage. I would also mention to people that [name]Noa[/name] is the name of a woman in the Old Testament - she was the daughter of Zelophehad (Numbers 26:33). [name]Noa[/name] is a beautiful name & wonderful conversation starter/cultural lesson!

[name]Talia[/name] is another of my favorites, although I find it a little harsh, not as soft sounding as [name]Noa[/name].
[name]Maya[/name] is very pretty but rather popular with all the [name]Mia[/name]'s, [name]Mya[/name]'s, and [name]Maya[/name]'s.
[name]Shira[/name] is unique and beautiful. Great alternative to [name]Noa[/name].
[name]Tova[/name] is a little harsh as well.
[name]Aya[/name] is nice. Doesn’t have much spice to it, making it rather plain.
[name]Galia[/name] is beautiful. Very exotic looking and sounding.
[name]Adi[/name] is very nice when said correctly, but everyone will confuse it for another misspelling of [name]Addie[/name], [name]Addy[/name], etc.
[name]Ariel[/name] is strong and sweet. I love the meaning. Another great form of this is [name]Aria[/name], although that is not the original Hebrew name.
[name]Ziva[/name] is very unique and exotic.
Nitzan isn’t pretty sounding.
[name]Bina[/name] is cute, but I don’t see it aging well.
[name]Ayala[/name] is simply stunning. It is up with [name]Noa[/name] and [name]Shira[/name] in my opinion!

Thank you. We were thinking about [name]Aria[/name] as well. I think it’s between [name]Talia[/name], [name]Noa[/name], [name]Aria[/name]/[name]Ariel[/name], [name]Ayala[/name] and [name]Maya[/name].