Questions on twins?

It seems like there are so many sets of little twins around these days! I’ve come across quite a few who’ve been gifted with great names, but there seems to be two different approaches to naming twins.

The parents who look to match the twins names, giving them the same meanings or same initials or same sounds.

The parents who treat it no differently than naming two siblings.

What approach would you take if you had twins? What would you call them?

Also the names that inspired this

[name_f]Marilee[/name_f] and [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] (Girls)
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Althea[/name_f] (Also Girls)
[name_u]Bran[/name_u] and [name_m]Jax[/name_m] (Boys)
[name_m]Luka[/name_m] and Melodine (Boy/Girl)
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (Boys)

Naming twins should be approached in the same way as silbings - the names should be different but complementary. It’s fine to mix styles (traditional, mythological, classical or vintage) but the names shouldn’t be so different that they sound like they come from two families who are worlds apart. Personally, I wouldn’t pair a frilly and feminine name with a unisex/surname twin (eg. [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] and [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]). The pair just lack cohesion for me. However, it may not bother other people so much. My mind works a lot with “style matching” whereas other people are not too concerned with it. Twins and other multiples are INDIVIDUALS first and foremost and this should always take precedence over anything else.

These sets are ok.

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Althea[/name_f] (Also Girls) - depending on your “comfort level” this pair could go either way. They share an initial and ending (matchy) and yet they sound different from each other.
[name_u]Bran[/name_u] and [name_m]Jax[/name_m] (Boys) - I don’t like the names but they are fine together
[name_m]Luka[/name_m] and Melodine (Boy/Girl) - They have a European vibe.

These sets are too matchy.

[name_f]Marilee[/name_f] and [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] (Girls)
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (Boys)

I always cringe when I hear too matchy twinsets. I’m actually watching a Danish television-[name_u]Christmas[/name_u]-calender-series-thing right now which stars twin called [name_f]Mille[/name_f] and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] in supporting roles and I think it’s [name_m]WAY[/name_m] too matchy. I’m also really picky when it comes to twinsets. I’ve fallen head over heels for Elladan and Elrohir ([name_f]Arwen[/name_f]'s twin-brothers) as middles in a boy-twinset. I generally really like when the connection is in the middle names, that’s a lot less tacky than having the connection in the first names.

On my list of great twin-middles:
Elladan and Elrohir
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f]/[name_m]Helios[/name_m] and [name_f]Selene[/name_f]
Ivik and Ivalo
[name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] and [name_f]Zenobia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hera[/name_f] and [name_f]Juno[/name_f]
Rhaenys and Visenya

Of the names you’ve listed, I really like [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] together, however, because of the u/o connection, I would probably make them middles.

I wouldn’t give twins names that are too matchy such as [name_f]Leah[/name_f] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f] or [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] and [name_u]Brayden[/name_u]. I would consider giving them names that start with the same letter but are still different enough to be individual such as [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and [name_f]Layla[/name_f] or [name_f]Ardyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. If the twins were identical I would give them names that maybe have the same meaning but don’t start with the same letter or sound such as [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] and [name_m]Garrett[/name_m]

I don’t like it too matchy, but same letter doesn’t bother me at all. I prefer two similar style names on bb or gg. BG is a little more tricky or adventurous depending on how you want to look at it.

I agree with [name_u]Mischa[/name_u]. You are naming two unique individuals who will often be compared to one another. As a twin I would encourage parents to give twins their own names and encourage them to have their own identities.

If your going to do to cute and matchy, use the middle names.

I’m also a twin and I am firmly in the camp that we are siblings and do NOT want matchy names. If I had twins, I would name them as though they were siblings and nothing more. Matchy names are hell for twins (I know two named [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and they hate it).

I agree with previous posters, twin names should be approached the same way as naming siblings. I actually don’t know many sets of twins, but the few sets that I do know have quite good combos in my opinion.

[name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and [name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Anya[/name_f] (I love this one <3)

I like them to be cohesive, but not matchy, which is exactly how I feel with normal siblings. For example, I feel like having two daughters named [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and [name_u]Harper[/name_u] is just odd because they’re so different in style, regardless of whether they’re twins or not. Matchy sibling names make me weep. I don’t mind themes in the middle names, but definitely not as first names.

I would name twins [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_m]Tin[/name_m]úviel [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] Samwise // [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_m]Tin[/name_m]úviel [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] Éowyn // [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] Samwise & [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Micah[/name_u] Faramir

I kinda like it if there’s some connection, and I’d definitely try to match them in terms of beauty and rarity, but sound-alike names are irritating.

My favorite twin combos are:
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f] and [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] (bit weirder but I still like it)
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u]

I’d name them like siblings. Maybe I’d choose names starting with the same letter (something like [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] & [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], Not [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] and [name_f]Antonia[/name_f]).

Two girls: [name_f]Nova[/name_f] & [name_m]Peighton[/name_m]
Two boys: [name_m]Blayze[/name_m] & [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_f]One[/name_f] of each: [name_f]Nova[/name_f] & [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]

Hate wouldn’t do matchy twin names (except [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] for Identical twin boys :)) but I wouldn’t name them like they were two singletons either mostly because their names will be said together more often than not. I would want their names to “match” in terms of style and popularity and be on an be the same “quality”. I know a set of twin girls named [name_f]Calista[/name_f] and [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]. It bothers me a lot that [name_f]Calista[/name_f] is so much rarer than [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] and it means “most beautiful” which could be taken as she is the more beautiful sister. I feel is unfair to [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] whose name is so much more popular and doesn’t have that spectacular meaning.

My favorite twin combos:
[name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] - I know this is kinda match but I love the way they sound together
[name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]

Yep, as a sister of twins I am heartily opposed to the overly matchy twin name thing. They’ll experience enough backward-thinking, twins-are-the-same-person BS in their lifetimes, they don’t need it from their own parents. What it says to me is that the parents didn’t bother to thoroughly research twins and are therefore not going to be very good parents to twins. Which isn’t necessarily true, it’s just what I can’t help but assume.

What constitutes overly matchy twin names is up for debate. I’m kind of with [name_u]Mischa[/name_u] in that I think they should match in style, but no more than a regular, singletons sibset.

I’m kind of on the fence with this one. On one hand, twins are indeed individuals, but on the other hand, their names will more often than not be uttered in the same breath. So definitely no [name_m]Joel[/name_m] & [name_u]Noel[/name_u], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] & [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_m]Michael[/name_m] & [name_f]Michaela[/name_f], or [name_m]John[/name_m] & [name_f]Joan[/name_f]. I like connections such as:

[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] & [name_f]Lark[/name_f]

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] & [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

[name_m]Ian[/name_m] & [name_m]Jack[/name_m]

Rocco & Craig

Where there is a subtle tie, but not an “in-your-face” twin.

I am a twin and hated my name matching my sister’s so closely. However, we went to school with a set of twins named [name_m]John[/name_m] and [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]. What was that more thinking?!

I would name mine names I love that do not match.