Quick Question Thread?!

Not a bad thing at all. Of course, it does depend on the name whether it works or not, but I don’t think it’s bad.

What do you think of the nickname [name_u]Rio[/name_u] for [name_u]Orion[/name_u]?

It’s a stretch, because the sound is not there, even though the letters are in there, but if you enforced it, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work :slight_smile:

What do you think of the combo [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]?

I think that it works really well! [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is classic yet different in modern times and has a lovely quality to it. [name_m]John[/name_m] grounds him with a standard name especially if it honours someone. [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] is lovely. Different and uncommon which is refreshing. A lovely combination overall.

Is it okay to use a name that another berry has used even if you came up with the name independently?

As far as I’m concerned, it is. I think names are fair game, especially if you thought it up independently. I’ve gotten ideas for middles or firsts before from other berries, though not whole names. Any way, names are a lot of things, among which is a form of self expression. Now, if you ran across a berry who had three children and posted all their names on her signature and you went out and gave your newborn triplets the exact same first and middle names, Id say you were going too far. It’s just a matter of moderation, I think :slight_smile:
Is it ok in some cases to use names from book characters? Especially if the character isn’t well known? For example? I like the name Luthien (means of daughter of flowers) from Tolkien’s middle earth books. The character isn’t likely to be known of by anyone other than die hard fans like myself—is it ever appropriate or is it just a guilty pleasure?

bookandkettle, I think that’s fine. I’d cross the line at names like [name_f]Katniss[/name_f], [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and such because they’re totally drawn to the characters themselves.

Do you prefer Winter Rose or Autumn Rose as the two middle names? First name would be Freya. Autumn Rose is more meaningful to me but I don’t know if Freya Autumn Rose flows or not.

@eoxima - [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has better flow in my opinion. (Initials are FAR, let’s pray the last name doesn’t start with a T!) Both seemly overly noun-y though, fairy-tale like, but maybe that’s what you are going for? [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] also works and avoids that problem, I love [name_f]Autumn[/name_f], one of my favourite names!
I also did see your other question, but had no good answers, where I live, if you had a sibset of [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] would seem way out of left field, I just couldn’t think of a name to go with them :frowning: ([name_f]Freya[/name_f] isn’t common in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] at all! I have met 1, ever)

My question is a bit odd, I’m a designer, working on a set of posters for a non-profit, and I’m creating little cartoon dogs, the first one has been named [name_u]Max[/name_u], I need a few more, 3/4 letter names, that are easy to say, and wouldn’t be weird for a puppy! ([name_m]Even[/name_m] just suggest a handful, I don’t need a massive list!)

[name_m]Ned[/name_m], [name_u]Beck[/name_u], [name_m]Sid[/name_m], [name_m]Pip[/name_m], [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Jed[/name_m], [name_u]Lou[/name_u], [name_m]Baz[/name_m], [name_u]Finn[/name_u] ?

Which do you prefer: [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f]. Both look-wise and sound-wise. And if you care to expalin, that would be lovely.

@[name_f]Polly[/name_f], I like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] best. [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] to me has the same feminine-but-to-the-point look as [name_f]Flora[/name_f], and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is really balanced out and just sounds like a charming European woman, perhaps a painter.
What do you think of the combo [name_m]Axel[/name_m] [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]? I’m more concerned about the flow and imagery than popularity/associations.

I really like [name_m]Axel[/name_m] [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. I think it flows nicely and sounds good when said. The imagery I get is a handsome boy with glasses, thoughtful and intelligent; with a little bit of mischief.

Next Question
The name [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], I have it on my list currently, is it too R heavy?

Such a great idea!

@kibby - You don’t need to ask her permission to use Ellen, it’s your grandmother’s name so you have a right to use it if you like.

@Olympia - Axel Isidore Sage is so handsome, such a great mix of names

@jtucker - I love Aurora and it would be on list if I didn’t have a dislike for names starting with the same letter (I have August on my list already) and if two of my girls name didn’t end in A. I don’t think the R sounds is too heavy and I love the nickname Rory for it.

Do you think Luna and Phoebe are okay as names for sisters? Luna means moon and Phoebe is the by-name of Artemis, goddess of the moon and of hunting. I try not to use names that have similar meanings or connotations but do you think that’s too much moon for a sib-set?

I think they sound great as sisters. I do like subtle connections with sibling names, though, so maybe I’m not the best person to answer this. It’s not like you’d be naming them [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u].

Same question as earlier. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f]? And if you would explain your choice, that’d be lovely.

@opheliaflora: I prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]. I think they balance so well! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is especially perfect, I love how the names fit together. I love how the spunkyness of [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] add to the maturity and sophistication of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f]. I know I’m not very good at explaining my choice, sorry!

With [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] ([name_u]Olly[/name_u]) do you prefer [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], or [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and why?

That’s a tough one.

Hm, I think my favourite is either [name_m]Peter[/name_m] or [name_m]John[/name_m] as, while they’re both biblical names, they strike me as classic and timeless rather than religious, which is how I see [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_m]Elijah[/name_m].
However, both [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] (gorgeous names and pair by the way) are have some quirk about them, which [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and [name_m]John[/name_m] don’t really have for me.
(I’m sure you’ve been over that one before, but I really really love [name_m]John[/name_m]'s nickname [name_m]Jack[/name_m] with your boys).

Can you think of other names that fit the vibe of [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]?

opheliaflora: I put them in Nymbler (my little helping buddy when it comes to things like this) and it’s given me a few good ones. [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], [name_m]Hugh[/name_m], [name_m]Godfrey[/name_m], [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Willis[/name_m] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] for boys and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Leontine[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Josefa[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f] for girls.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] make a good sibset?

I think they do. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] share a lot of sounds that [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] doesn’t have, however, so that might be a concern.

Are [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] too similar to be siblings? [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is going to be the name of my first girl no matter what, but I’d hate to drop [name_u]Rory[/name_u].

I love both names. [name_u]Rory[/name_u] is my nickname, and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has been a long time favourite of mine. However, I do believe they’re too close. I know how hard it is to drop a name you love - I use to have [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] before I realised how similar they were. I just had to toughen up and dropped [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] - I still loved it, but realised that I could have them together and loved [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] more. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] are both adorable though.

Having two flower names in a combo too much? I adore [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is [name_m]Heath[/name_m] Ledgers daughter, [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] after the ANZACs and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] from a Waltz for [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] + character), but worry that two flower names is just [name_m]OTT[/name_m].

I don’t think they are too much. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is pretty much the standard middle name so I don’t associate it much with the flower when in the middle spot.

@sturges6 I do think they are too close for siblings. However, you could always go for a longer name for either name and have the problem solved.

What do you think of the three combos I have in my signature at the moment?

I’m so happy you’re considering [name_f]Flora[/name_f] again, and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] is absolutely stunning! [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is gorgeous, too, don’t get me wrong, but [name_f]Flora[/name_f] Fenoveva… wow!
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] has never really been a favourite of mine, but I really like it with [name_f]Ada[/name_f].

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t have a question, I just really wanted to answer [name_f]Polly[/name_f]'s. You should answer hers too aha.

I prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] to [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]. Both are wonderful, but there’s something so spunky and beautiful about [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f]. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] feels older and more mature to me, lacking some of the playfulness that [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] adds.
I’m not overly fond of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Ada[/name_f] is a lovely combination. I also think it sounds great as [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].

What is your opinion on [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]? I worry that it’s too serious sounding or that I want it to flow more than it does.

I think your combo is beautiful and does flow very well actually!

My question is the same one from earlier:
What do you think of the three “trying out” combos I have in my signature at the moment?
And which do you prefer. The pair of Flora Genoveva and Rose Wilhelmina or Flora Wilhelmina and Rose Genoveva?