Quick question

Out of interest would you read a book that had a couple of chapters at the beginning with the MC as a 8/9 year old? Then there would be a time slip to current day (I may make it into a memory or a dream of her past) I just think it’d be a nice way to neatly introduce her and the world, but because children are children, not to over describe or explain. So yeah I just wanted another opinion, also if you don’t think it would work or it would be clunky would you mind suggesting something else?

I think it’s a great idea. I’d love to read a story from a child’s perspective.

2 Likes

I would be interested! :smiley:

1 Like

I have that exact setup at the beginning of one of my WIPs! Right down to the age (8). I would keep it in scene though, shy away from painting it as a dream or a memory, just because readers might feel lied to if they open into this amazing world/story only to find out it’s a dream. So like write it as the scene is happening and then just have like “10 years later…” or whatever when you jump to the present :blush:.

2 Likes

I agree completely with @SparkleNinja18- dreams and flashbacks give me headaches. Which is weird, because flashbacks are a big part of my current WIP- although, they’re short and are long after the character has been introduced. Go for it!

2 Likes

That sounds awesome, would be a really cool read!

1 Like

In all honesty, it would probably put me off initially, though if it was just a prologue it wouldnt be a major deal - in fact I’ve read a loved several books in which the prologue is set in the past, as long as the main body is set in the present day for the character.

1 Like