quirky middle names

I’m due in [name]December[/name], and we’ve been thinking about names. I think that we want an established name for the first ([name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Athena[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Freya[/name]), and a quirky offbeat name for the middle. I figure that middle names don’t need to have the same gravitas as the first, since it’s hardly ever used. This way, she has the option to use a serious name or an eccentric name, depending on her personality and preferences.

We’re also thinking of using a second middle name to honor my grandma. Her name was [name]Genya[/name]. We’re not sure about this though.

I put together a little list of unusual names that I would only dare use for the middle spot. I was wondering if you guys can help me match a first name with these middles. If you think that a middle is just too far “out there”, even for a middle, say so!

Please suggest a first name for each of these middles!
_______Sunrise
_______[name]Winter[/name]
_______[name]Tuesday[/name]
_______[name]Snow[/name]
_______[name]Avalon[/name]
_______[name]Clover[/name]
_______[name]Juniper[/name]
_______[name]Marigold[/name]
_______[name]Willow[/name]
_______[name]Sapphire[/name]
_______[name]Calypso[/name]
_______[name]Thisbe[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you think that using ‘word names’ like these for the middle destroys the first name?

I don’t think you can ever really go too far out there when it comes to middle names. Middles can be as out there or as boring as you like you. They rarely get used in every day life and as an adult they usually get dropped or shorted to an initial (ie. [name]James[/name] P. [name]Smith[/name]- that P could be [name]Patrick[/name]… or [name]Percival[/name]… or Perseverance…). So, that being said, I think any of the middles you listed could work (I’m quite fond of a few, actually). I don’t think using word middles at all destroys the first name. You just have to be careful, for example, pairing adjective first names with wordy middles- like [name]Violet[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name] would be a lot of color, and [name]Scarlett[/name] Sunrise is a bit descriptive, lol. I’ll try to match them with some of the names you listed, since I’m not totally sure what other types of names you’re into:

[name]Annabel[/name] Sunrise (Sunrise is the only middle I’m not totally feeling, but I’d pair it with a more safe fn, like [name]Annabel[/name])
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Tuesday[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Snow[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Clover[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] the alliteration here)
[name]Freya[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Athena[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I love all of the first names that you are looking at, however my favorite is [name]Freya[/name]. my hubby is English and our friends named their little girl [name]Anna[/name] [name]Freya[/name]. I had never heard that name before, however it is popular in [name]England[/name]. I guess [name]Freya[/name] is a Norse [name]Goddess[/name] of love.
Your grandmpother’s name has the same feel and it’s so nice to have a family name. I’m named after my 2 grandmother’s [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (go by [name]Luci[/name]) and I hated my “old lady name” growing up, but like a different name now. Good luck in whatever you choose, I’m sure it will be different and beautiful.

I totally love the idea of a quirkier middle name. I personally love [name]Bluebell[/name] for a middle name, so I think I am probably even more out there! I do not think they ruin a first name at all!

the only thing i think you need to be aware of is which of the first names on your list that are already semi-word names, such as [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]. Because [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Snow[/name] reminds me of like bloody snow for some reason. But [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Snow[/name] is gorgeous. [name]Do[/name] you know what I mean? I hope that makes sense.

from your list i love (with 's on my top favorites)
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Calypso[/name]

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]*
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Winter[/name]*
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Snow[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Clover[/name]*
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Clover[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Calypso[/name]*
[name]Freya[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Freya[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Freya[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Freya[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]*

hope that helps! :slight_smile: let us know what you are leaning towards!

The names I listed as names that I like aren’t ones that I think go well with these middles. I meant to say that I was hoping for some suggestions for first names that would go with these middles, since [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] are too adjective-y for most of these middles.

I love the idea of a grounded first name with an eccentric middle. I know a girl named [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Demeter[/name] [name]Sunshine[/name]. So cute, right? Of your names, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Tuesday[/name]! [name]Annabel[/name] is probably my fav first name of yours. [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Tuesday[/name] is pretty. I really like [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Tuesday[/name], as well.

Yeah, you can totally be creative in the middle spot - it won’t take away from her first name!

_______Sunrise

[name]Julia[/name] Sunrise
[name]Adelaide[/name] Sunrise
[name]Miranda[/name] Sunrise

(Sunrise might be my least favorite…)

_______[name]Winter[/name]

[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name] [name]Winter[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

_______[name]Tuesday[/name]

[name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Tuesday[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Tuesday[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] [name]Tuesday[/name]

_______[name]Snow[/name]

[name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Snow[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name] [name]Snow[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Snow[/name]

_______[name]Avalon[/name]

[name]Bryony[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]

([name]Avalon[/name] isn’t really unusual to me, considering more and more people are using it as a first name.)

_______[name]Clover[/name]

[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Clover[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Clover[/name]
[name]Delia[/name] [name]Clover[/name]

_______[name]Juniper[/name]

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]

_______[name]Marigold[/name]

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]

_______[name]Willow[/name]

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Elinor[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name] [name]Willow[/name]

([name]Willow[/name], again, is a bit on the safer side of your middle name options.)

_______[name]Sapphire[/name]

[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name]

_______[name]Calypso[/name]

[name]Rory[/name] [name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Calypso[/name]

_______[name]Thisbe[/name]

[name]Helena[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Joanna[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestions. I just don’t know anymore what I want in a name. I’ve looked at so many names waay too many times. [name]Bluebell[/name] is cute, but it is a little too celebrity for me.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Here are my favorites that you suggested:

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Snow[/name]: I love this one! [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Penelope[/name] Marinaccio is too much of a mouthful though?

[name]Bryony[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]: [name]Love[/name] [name]Bryony[/name], but bf hates it- he thinks that it sounds too much like [name]Brian[/name].

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]: I like this one too.

[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Clover[/name]: Can’t use [name]Cecelia[/name] because it’s a friend’s baby’s name.

What do you think of [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Clover[/name]?

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]:This one is adorable, especially for a cartoon character. I like it! I’m not so sure how it would work on a real girl though.

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]: [name]Love[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name].

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Willow[/name]: I can see myself using this one. The only thing I worry about is if we move to an area where most people speak Spanish, poor little [name]Fiona[/name] might get called Fea. I worry about [name]Freya[/name] being called Fea too.

[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name]: I like this one. A name similar to [name]Vivian[/name] that I kind of like is [name]Aviva[/name]. What do you think of [name]Aviva[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name]?

[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Sapphire[/name]: [name]Lydia[/name] is pretty.

[name]Helena[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it, but maybe too [name]Shakespeare[/name]? (If I remember correctly, both [name]Helena[/name] and [name]Thisbe[/name] are in Midsummer [name]Night[/name]'s [name]Dream[/name])

Favorites:
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Snow[/name], [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Willow[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name].

I saw [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Plum[/name] in the Telegraph birth announcements the other day, and would love to steal it, except that the m from [name]Plum[/name] would merge with Marinaccio.

Hey,

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Snow[/name], [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Willow[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name] - I love all of these, too! I don’t think [name]Penelope[/name] Marinaccio is terrible, really, and she’d probably go by a nickname, no? [name]Penny[/name] Marinaccio? [name]Poppy[/name] Marinaccio? Cute, especially [name]Penny[/name]. [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Willow[/name] is really cute, but if Fea is an issue for you, don’t use it. Is [name]Fia[/name] any better? Doesn’t Fea have a weird meaning in Spanish? [name]Love[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] Marinaccio so much! And, though [name]Helena[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name] is one of my favorites, you are right about it potentially being too much [name]Shakespeare[/name] in one name. So, I’d choose [name]Phoebe[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name], myself…

[name]Tallulah[/name]'s great, as is [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Plum[/name], but not with Marinaccio, as you said. What about [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Wren[/name] Marinaccio? [name]Love[/name] that!

I ran [name]Fiona[/name] past bf, and he hates it. He says “it’s too Irish”. :? I tried to explain that nobody cares where the name comes from, and [name]Fiona[/name] has definitely been an option for everyone from many ethnicities.

He’s OK with [name]Penelope[/name] though.

I’m still thinking of honoring grandma [name]Genya[/name]. What do you think of two middle names-
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Genya[/name] [name]Snow[/name] Marinaccio. Is this better than [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Snow[/name] [name]Genya[/name] Marinaccio? Does the [name]Genya[/name] part sound too out of place?

Also, I looked up [name]Genya[/name]'s meaning, and it means noble. Other names that mean noble are the [name]Adele[/name] names- [name]Adele[/name], [name]Adelia[/name], and [name]Adelaide[/name]. Using one of these names can take the place of [name]Genya[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Adele[/name] much better than [name]Genya[/name]? (I won’t get offended if you hate my grandma’s name…)

_______ [name]Adele[/name] Marinaccio ([name]Juniper[/name] [name]Adele[/name]? [name]Clover[/name] [name]Adele[/name]? [name]Willow[/name] [name]Adele[/name]?
[name]Adelaide[/name] ______ Marinaccio ([name]Adelaide[/name] Marinaccio too much?)
[name]Adelia[/name] _____ Marinaccio

*they don’t have to be nature/eccentric names.

[name]Hi[/name]!

Honestly, yes, I prefer the [name]Ad[/name]- names to [name]Genya[/name]. I’m sorry! In fact, I’m particularly keen on [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name], pronounced add-eh-line. I think that’s stunning! And, of course, it means “noble” and thus honors [name]Genya[/name]…

Okay, so you aren’t set on [name]Snow[/name]? Good, because honestly, I’m not loving the flow of [name]Snow[/name] Marinaccio. If I’m correctly pronouncing your boyfriend’s last name, they sort of rhyme. Not so good. This is a winter baby, yes? Is that why [name]Snow[/name] was appealing to you? [name]Neve[/name] (nehv) could work, but [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Neve[/name] isn’t good at all. Alright, here are some other ideas, okay - I’m thinking shorter is better:

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Blue[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Cloud[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]East[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Fleur[/name] Marinaccio - I love this one, [name]Amanda[/name]!
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Jay[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Merle[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Rain[/name] Marinaccio
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Sage[/name] Marinaccio - Another cute one!
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]True[/name] Marinaccio

I adore [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Fleur[/name] Marinaccio. It’s the perfect balance of classic and quirky, and I think the combination of the very feminine, delicate [name]Fleur[/name] with the more substantial [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] is really divine. [name]Do[/name] you like any?

We were thinking [name]Snow[/name] because she’s due [name]December[/name] 18th, and it makes me think of [name]Snow[/name] White- a positive image to me. Also, my boyfriend likes [name]Scout[/name], and [name]Snow[/name] is similar.

I’m loving [name]Fleur[/name], and like [name]Adeline[/name] as a way to honor my grandma. I forgot about [name]Fleur[/name]. My least favorite is [name]Jay[/name], because to me it’s a guy’s name. [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Fleur[/name] sounds great.

Other options I’m tinkering with that don’t honor my grandma are [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Athena[/name] (or [name]Athena[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]), [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Aria[/name], [name]Willow[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Willow[/name] [name]Scout[/name].

Maybe [name]Willow[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]? [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]? [name]Just[/name] plain [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Adele[/name]? [name]Adele[/name] seems a bit boring and stodgy to me…like it doesn’t add anything to a name.

You’ve suggested [name]Willa[/name] to me before, but my boyfriend hates it, though he loves [name]Willow[/name]. I like [name]Willow[/name] but for some reason it seems too much like a fad name that will disappear ten years from now, and that it lacks substance. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Willow[/name] is almost done with her 15 minutes of fame? I don’t know why that would matter, but for some reason it does.

I don’t think [name]Willow[/name] is done with her fifteen minutes of fame considering the popularity of nature-inspired names right now, but I do agree that she lacks a bit of substance. My biggest argument against [name]Willow[/name] for you in particular is how it sounds with Marinaccio - not so good.

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Adele[/name] is pretty, but [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] is cute, too! I really love [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Fleur[/name], though…

Oh, and I was going after [name]Jay[/name] as a bird name, but, yes, it does have a slightly masculine sound! Oh, what about something like [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Adele[/name]? [name]Ivy[/name] has a wintry vibe going on!

What about using [name]Noble[/name] as the middle name? Good and quirky, honors your grandmother, what more can you ask for! And have you considered [name]Scout[/name] as a nn for [name]Scarlett[/name]? [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Noble[/name] nn [name]Scout[/name]! That seems to accomplish all of your goals :smiley: