Quotes, sayings and words that ring true

hello! any beautiful quotes you’ve found, sayings you’ve heard; post them here!
although actually they don’t have to be beautiful, also just if they ring true to you and you feel like sharing
:two_hearts:
ella

2 Likes

“dead people receive more flowers than the living ones because regret is stronger than gratitude” - anne frank
:sob: its so true that it made me feel like crying and i resolved to give more flowers to the people i love

12 Likes

I really like this bit of a poem by [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_m]Dickinson[/name_m]

“[name_f]Hope[/name_f]” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

6 Likes

I’ve always liked this lyric from the song [name_m]King[/name_m] by [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] [name_f]Aquilina[/name_f]:

“Glass half empty, glass half full
Well, either way you won’t be going thirsty”

I think it’s such a good way of looking at it-- and something I’d never heard before listening to the song (no idea if she came up with it herself or if it’s a quote I’d just never heard)

2 Likes

Here’s a few!

”When given the choice between what is right and what is kind, choose kind”
— Dr. [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] Dyer

”Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
— [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u]

”In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.”
— [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Frost[/name_u]

”[name_f]Live[/name_f] as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
— Mahatma Gandhi

”It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
— [name_u]Andre[/name_u] [name_m]Gide[/name_m]

And of course,

“may you never be too grown up to search the skies on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]”

:christmas_tree:

8 Likes

for a while i had “normality is a paved road, comfortable to walk on, but no flowers grow” - vincent van gogh , on my instagram profile because i thought it was really beautiful but i took it down because i realised how privileged i was to have a normality that was comfortable on and that not everyone has that. i still think it’s beautiful, but a one sided, blind sort of beautiful that i cant appreciate so fully

i now have “everybody is broken…that’s how the light gets in” by ernest hemingway
,which i love :two_hearts:

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

“i find it amusing that we’re all pretending to be normal
when we could be intensely interesting instead”
- atlas

1 Like

" i kissed her and forgot to breath, it just didn’t seem important at the time " - atticus

“a sky full of stars and he was staring at her” - atticus

“well you still make sense to me, your mess is mine” - vance joy - Mess is Mine
… listen to the whole song because all the words are beautiful, but those words rang really true to me. when you love someone so fully, they make perfect sense, you are willing to take on the mess they come with if it means them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Some of my favourites :yellow_heart:

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” - [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] M. [name_m]Baruch[/name_m]

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” - [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_u]Wilde[/name_u]

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_m]Waldo[/name_m] [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - [name_m]Martin[/name_m] [name_m]Luther[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m] jr

“You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching,
[name_u]Love[/name_u] like you’ll never be hurt,
[name_m]Sing[/name_m] like there’s nobody listening,
And live like it’s heaven on earth.”
-[name_m]William[/name_m] W. Purkey

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” - [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_u]West[/name_u]

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” - [name_m]Mark[/name_m] [name_m]Twain[/name_m]

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Angelou[/name_f]

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” - [name_m]Rob[/name_m] Siltanen

3 Likes

A lyric from [name_m]Bono[/name_m] of U2:
“Yeah, we’ll shine like stars
in the summer night;
we’ll shine like stars
in the winter night.
One heart; one hope; one love.
With or Without You.”

1 Like

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” -Buddha

I’ll probably come back and add more. :slight_smile: [name_f]My[/name_f] kind of thread.

2 Likes

(From the Xfinity short film The Greatest [name_u]Gift[/name_u])
Elves: We’ll give the gift of TOGETHERNESS.
[name_f]Santa[/name_f]: …
[name_f]Santa[/name_f]: That sounds dumb.

FINALLY. REALISTICNESS.
(That short film was really funny btw)

2 Likes

“Happiness can be found in even the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” - J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” - J.K. Rowling
“Maybe some moments weren’t so perfect
Maybe some memories not so sweet
But we have to know some bad times
[name_u]Or[/name_u] our lives are incomplete.” - How does a moment last forever?

2 Likes

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

“If you want a rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain” [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] [name_m]Parton[/name_m]
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams” [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
“Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will” [name_f]Suzy[/name_f] Kassem
“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] [name_m]Richie[/name_m]
“Shoot for the moon, and if you miss you’ll land among the stars” [name_u]Les[/name_u] [name_m]Brown[/name_m]
“Imagination is more important than knowledge” [name_m]Albert[/name_m] Einstien
“I shall take the heart, for brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world” The [name_m]Tin[/name_m] [name_m]Man[/name_m], The [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m]
“Have big dreams, or you’ll end up working for someone who does” [name_m]Unknown[/name_m]
“Believe you can do it, and you’re halfway there” [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel like you have lost an old friend” [name_m]Paul[/name_m] [name_u]Sweeney[/name_u]
“That’s the trouble with the real world, too many people grow up” [name_m]Walt[/name_m] Disney

3 Likes

“the grass is greener where you water it”

3 Likes

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” - [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
“All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men doing nothing.” - [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Burke[/name_m]

3 Likes

4 Likes

“Everybody wants to reach the top of the mountain, but there is no growth at the peak. It is in the valley that we slog through the lush grass and rich soil, learning and becoming what enables us to summit life’s next peak.” - [name_u]Andy[/name_u] Andrews

“I trust the next chapter because I know the Author.” (Not sure who originally said it, but it’s beautiful!)

[name_u]Love[/name_u] those!