R.I.P Oscar, Felix, Eva, etc.

A lot of my very favorite names that I admired for their relative unpopularity as well as sound are now going up or even being replaced ([name]Felix[/name] is the new [name]Oscar[/name]?). What names that you wish could stay undiscovered are becoming popular or have been popular for a while?

[name]Annabelle[/name]. I’m really mad about its popularity! :frowning: I wish [name]Grace[/name] had remained obscure, too, and as [name]Sophie[/name] is a family name, I’m really annoyed about the popularity of [name]Sophie[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name].

My other favorites (such as [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], and [name]Beatrix[/name]) are relatively safe for now, but no name is truly safe!

My boys’ favorites, such as [name]Edward[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], and [name]Nathaniel[/name] are pretty popular, but for some reason, the popularity of classic boys’ names doesn’t bother me the way I’m bothered by classic/vintage girls’ names that become popular.

I’m not too territorial about the names I like, but some do bug me. [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Eva[/name] are both Top 50 material in my state in Australia, sitting at #28 and #38 respectively (and [name]Eve[/name] & [name]Evie[/name] are both in the Top 100, so I’'m pretty sick of her really), and [name]Eliza[/name] sits at #57. Where does [name]Annabelle[/name] sit in the US? Here she’s at #59 - [name]Grace[/name], not surprisingly is at #14!

I agree, for some reason, I don’t care as much with the boys. I named my son [name]Oliver[/name] because it was pretty much the only name DH and I loved, and he sits at #8, shockingly. In my state, [name]Alice[/name] is at #40, which is just depressing, and [name]Matilda[/name] (my 4.5 yo DD) sits at #13 - she would have been barely scraping into the top 100 when we named her!

I’d me more annoyed if [name]Iris[/name] (DD2) shot up to the heights of [name]Oliver[/name] & [name]Matilda[/name]; don’t really know why. But it makes me cringe when I see her mentioned on name boards by people that group her amongst [name]Maddison[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Mia[/name] & [name]Darcey[/name], or whatever :slight_smile:

[name]Elodie[/name] & [name]Aurelia[/name] have been getting quite a bit of attention down here lately too, which makes me a little sad! It seems that nobody in Australia seems to like [name]Clara[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name] & [name]Viola[/name] (my other faves), so I hope they don’t catch on… !

OOps- that sounded a bit judgemental - didn’t mean for it to!

I love your kids’ names, [name]Sophie[/name], and your name, too! :slight_smile: [name]Annabelle[/name] is #196 in the U.S., but [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] have written that it’s only going to become more and more popular, following in the footsteps of [name]Isabella[/name]. (I may love it too much to care, though!)

You saw [name]Iris[/name] lumped in with Maddisyns and Addysynns? Wow…scary!

Oh [name]Jill[/name] I love [name]Annabel[/name] too! But I’m afraid she’d get lost among all the Isabels and Isabellas. I also love [name]Ada[/name], which will probably get a little more popular but also has the misfortune of being very similar to both [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Jada[/name]. And obviously I wish [name]Olivia[/name] weren’t so popular! When I was little I disliked having a somewhat unusual name, then came to appreciate it as a teenager. Now I hear it everywhere, absolutely everywhere!

Other names I love but have scratched off the list due to fears of watching them climb the charts: [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Owen[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Julian[/name].

Oh yeah, I can totally see [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] becoming epidemic! I still don’t know why, but I’m not afraid of sticking with [name]Henry[/name] and my other boys’ favorites even though they’re so popular. Hmm…

I saw your [name]Emilia[/name], and that reminded me of [name]Emmeline[/name], one of my favorites since childhood. I fear one of these will replace [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]. :frowning:

Though I mourn for [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Evie[/name], I’ve sort of resigned myself to their popularity. [name]Evie[/name] is only in the 800s, but I can see it getting more and more popular here in the US. The good thing is, some of the names that I love ([name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name]) don’t SOUND popular to me at least. Also, there are always the timeless girls names- [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Catherine[/name], etc.- that deserve their popularity and feel, I don’t know, special, maybe. Oh well… even if [name]Sophie[/name] was stolen, at least I still have my [name]Delphine[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name]… :slight_smile:

Being one of those who has always been obsessed with names I remember being excited when I was much younger that I had great names in my family that I was going to use some day for my own kids. I had a great grandmothers [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Emily[/name], [name]Aidan[/name] and [name]Abigail[/name] were in my family as well. None of which I will use now. Other favorites were [name]Grace[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Madeline[/name], [name]Greyson[/name], [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name], all of which are too popular these days. Also, my mothers name is [name]Anne[/name], and in honor of her I wanted to use [name]Annabel[/name] (she is bitter that her name is usually a middle name, but hates that its short), but that is on its way up as well. all i have now is [name]Mae[/name] which lies in the midst of [name]Barbara[/name], [name]Gertrude[/name], [name]Morris[/name] and [name]Edgar[/name]. It’s too bad I want either the first or middle name to come from family, cuz its going to be a stretch.

I loved your post, [name]Bluebell[/name]! :slight_smile: I feel your pain about [name]Annabel[/name]/[name]Annabelle[/name]…

I think I have to disagree about [name]Felix[/name]. It has stayed pretty steady for 100 years or so and in the past 20-30 years it has never risen or fallen more than 50 points total. I haven’t met any little [name]Felix[/name]'s and very few older ones. I think it’s still a viable option for someone who is looking for quirky/classy.

i am currently 23 wks preg. with a girl, and before i knew it was a girl i was so intent on naming her Beatirx. My husband hates the name, so it’s just not going to happen, but reading through alot of the posts here i am quite shocked at how many times [name]Beatrix[/name] gets a mention in people’s lists of favourites?! so i am convinced it can only be a matter of time that it’s up there with matilda and ava and violet!

daisyb,

I’m struggling with how much a name is truly going to become widespread, and how much it’s just a “nameberry” name. I am floored by how often I hear [name]Beatrix[/name] mentioned here, and I don’t hear it mentioned elsewhere.

No offense meant to anyone here b/c I’m really enjoying this site, but I think it may be a bit insular? Meaning people with similar tastes gather together - lord help those poor fools who actually LIKE the name Navaeh or [name]Aiden[/name] on this website!!

hmmm…well, if you think about it, I guess it’s just natural that people with similar tastes tend to gather together, but different opinions are always welcome =]. Personally, I despise the name [name]Neveah[/name]. It just seems like a name that a lazy person created by flipping [name]Heaven[/name] around, and the sound of it just hurts my ears. However, [name]Aiden[/name] is one of my top favorites and so is the name [name]Bella[/name]. Popularity lessens the appeal on names for some people, but in the end it’s the parents’/parent’s choice.

I love nameberry <3 and if anyone did step up and say “I actually adore [name]Neveah[/name] or [name]Aiden[/name]” there would be absoultely nothing wrong with that at all. And it’s always good to be honest because it leads to new ideas =]

Wow, it just dawned on me that [name]Sebastian[/name] is #74 and here I am worrying about [name]Felix[/name] (#354)!?!?!?!?! Almost 6,000 babies were named [name]Sebastian[/name] in 2008! Maybe I’ve just been under a rock here, but that really surprised me!

I wish [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name] weren’t popular. And [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name].

I wish [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name] weren’t popular. And [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name].

My rule is not in the top 100. So [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Felix[/name] are still ok! :wink:

Yeah, I’ll probably have to start adopting that rule too, now that so many of my favorites are getting more popular.