Race

I like the name [name]Race[/name] but i would like to lengthen the name or spell it different but i don’t really like the name [name]Racer[/name]
suggestions? Made up names are fine too

The media has made “[name]Race[/name]” a hot and controversial word these days. Truthfully, when I saw the title of your topic, I thought this was going to somehow be about names and different races of people.

I think I would avoid using “[name]Race[/name]” as a name for a child.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I would also suggest you not name your child [name]Race[/name]… for reasons [name]Nephele[/name] stated…

What is your reasoning for wanting to use the name [name]Race[/name]? My teenager is [name]Jace[/name]… which has a similar sound, is that something you would like as an alternative… or…

[name]Chace[/name]/[name]Chase[/name]
[name]Trace[/name]

I think [name]Race[/name] has too many connotations, but you want to use it for a nickname anyway. For the references to racial issues alone, I think I would avoid it, but additionally, I think this sounds similar to a virtue name that some children may not live up to, or not live up to in the way you intended - for example, not being interested or very capable in athletics, or being overly competitive and a poor sport, cocky, or generally a spaz. “Racing thoughts” is a phrase that comes up for me when I hear the word “race,” it’s an unpleasant feeling to not be able to concentrate, or to feel paralyzed and overwhelmed by worry and tension mentally. For a nickname, I’d allow some room for it. I can’t think of anything right now except for more illustrative prose on the matter of the name [name]Race[/name].

It does have name-like quality. Like [name]Jason[/name] or now, [name]Grayson[/name] or [name]Jaden[/name], [name]Chase[/name], [name]Lacey[/name] or [name]Grace[/name] (for girls), a name like [name]Race[/name] almost seems familiar to the current style, the long A, rhymes with [name]Ace[/name], trying [name]Ace[/name] or [name]Ace[/name]-n with a different initial… how about R. Not in love with it. [name]Just[/name] as [name]Jason[/name] can be tweaked to be [name]Jaden[/name] (albeit innocuous), you could, or his classmates could, conjure a few negative substitutions for C.

Also a word name, and in some instances, a positive one, a winner maybe. I do know people with the last name [name]Race[/name], and do not think “race” or words similar to it is an issue, but people generally treat your surname with the respect of generations and lack of choice in the matter, differently from your given name (as if you had any choice about it either).

[name]Race[/name] might be a nickname instead of [name]Ray[/name], like for [name]Raymond[/name], for example. Maybe [name]Horace[/name]? [name]Horace[/name] is awful though. I think [name]Ace[/name] is a much better nickname, and probably easier to find a formal name that isn’t awkward. Cannot say for sure that [name]Race[/name] would be a problem for a nickname, but if it is, the formal name would have to be a decent way out, not an albatross.

Other suggestions:
[name]Rhys[/name] or [name]Reese[/name]
[name]Rafe[/name] - I like the sound of this but still feel it’s too close to words with a different letter than F.
[name]Asher[/name] ([name]Ash[/name])
[name]Dashiell[/name] ([name]Dash[/name])
[name]Mason[/name]

I also wouldn’t use it for all of the above reasons. [name]Ace[/name] seems like a great alternative, though.
Acer nn [name]Ace[/name]
Areceli - for a girl
[name]Candace[/name]
[name]Wallace[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name] - instead of [name]Stacy[/name] maybe [name]Ace[/name] as a nn?

I knew a little boy named [name]Race[/name] at one time (he would be 12 or 13 now). He LOVED his name. He thought of racing cars, naturally. Seeing the name on an actual person avoided the nationality/race connotation from the start.

I could see, however, that establishing the name among friends and family could be a little harder than with other names simply for the race connotation. Once established, though, it will be HIS name, not simply a word any longer.

As for names that are longer that can be shortened to [name]Race[/name], I immediately thought of Gracen.

Good luck!