Rafaela?

What do you think of [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f]?

Any ideas why this and its variant spellings aren’t more popular? I’m surprised to see that none of the spellings rank in the top 1000 in the US or [name_f]England[/name_f] & [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. It strikes me as a beautiful alternative to [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] and other popular -ella names!

I don’t know why it isn’t more popular. I think it’s an adorable name :slight_smile:

I’ve never really been able to decide if [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f] is a name I can get behind. Somehow it feels slightly still, and something about repeating ae vowels with distinct sounds feels a bit clumsy in my mouth. However, [name_f]Paola[/name_f] has that same characteristic, and I like [name_f]Paola[/name_f] a lot, so I suspect I could get over it.

However, that being said, I still don’t think it would ever be my favorite -ela name, or even my favorite uncommon -ela name. I don’t find it any more classic than [name_f]Gabriela[/name_f], it doesn’t have the spunkiness of [name_f]Daniela[/name_f], it doesn’t flow like [name_f]Isabela[/name_f], its not short and concise like [name_f]Adela[/name_f], etc. I would say in terms of the less-used -ela names, my favorites are [name_f]Marisela[/name_f], [name_f]Mariela[/name_f], and [name_f]Gisela[/name_f]. [name_f]Gisela[/name_f] in particular I think has the same feeling as [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f], but without feeling so heavy.

I agree with you that it’s beautiful, and I’ve also wondered, with the popularity of elle and ella names, that this one hasn’t been used more. It would be my favourite ella name I think. I do tend to love ‘r’ names though! Nns like [name_m]Raffy[/name_m] or just [name_m]Raff[/name_m] appeal to me. I also love the alternate [name_f]Raphaela[/name_f] spelling. One of my long term favourite boy’s names is [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], which I’ve seen fairly disliked on these forums, so I wonder if there’s something against this group generally?

I think [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f] is great and I encourage you to go for it! It is both underused and on-trend, to my way of thinking.

I like it!

I love [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f], especially this particular spelling! I don’t think that I would ever use it personally, but it’s an absolutely beautiful name!

It is not common in the area that I live in [name_u]America[/name_u] but it could be the fact that I live more in the Midwest, so [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f] is not super common here, I don’t think. I would use [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f] over [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] any day of the week and I think it’s because it’s a lesser popular name.

I’m not sure why it’s not more used. I like it. It strikes me as exotic yet familiar, unusual yet on trend.

@araminty [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] is such a favourite of mine too (DH said no, boo hiss). I love pretty much all the Raf- names. So jaunty and dashing, girl or boy!

I agree with you about all the Raf names [name_f]Katinka[/name_f]! What a pity your DH says no to stylish [name_u]Rafe[/name_u]! I also love [name_m]Rufus[/name_m] (and was secretly hoping we’d see it in the royal family), and [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] has become a more recent favourite. I also like Raphaele for a girl. Though not a huge fan of [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] and [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], I do like them for the Raph, Raphy nicknames.

I personally just don’t like the sound. It seems very harsh to me. Not that all little girls have to be named dainty, frilly names (or even that they should), but there is just something about it that feels jumbled-up and even a bit mean.