Ramona or Paloma?

[name_m]How[/name_m] would you describe each of these names, and which do you personally prefer?

Edit 2021: Bumping for up-to-date opinions (and to add a poll) Thanks!

• Paloma
  • Ramona

0 voters

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] reads sophisticated and cosmopolitan to me, with an artsy, nature vibe. I prefer it to [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], which I strongly associate with the character from the children’s novels.

I prefer [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]. It’s cute and spunky ob a little girl (like [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_m]Quimby[/name_m]), but as an adult it’s sophisticated and smart sounding

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] feels very Spanish to me. You’d think [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] would too since it’s the female form of a male Spanish name, but it doesn’t. I like [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] more. It just sounds nicer to me. But they’re both fine.

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is a little quirky, very smart, and so lovable. [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] is a bird, flying to whatever height she wishes. I love [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] for the child in me who adored the [name_m]Cleary[/name_m] character, but [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] brings something fresh and different to the table. They are two very different names! [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] would have to be my favorite, though.

@tranquilstars that is a beautiful description of [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]! It’s really been on my mind lately β€” soft and calm and free-spirited, and DH loves the [name_m]Picasso[/name_m] connection.

Thank you all for your input :slight_smile:

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] though. It makes me think of [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] flowers from [name_m]Scott[/name_m] pilgrim but thats a good thing.

I think because I first heard [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] on [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f], I always think of her style. Sort of vintage, pin up, with a good deal of strength, determination and tenacity. I get a very light, cheerful, but also fiery and passionate feel from [name_f]Paloma[/name_f].

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] feels more down to earth, a little more serious and sensible, less of a dreamer, more of a thinker. She’s a touch dark and gothic. I’m struggling a bit to describe [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] to be honest, and there is a sense of mystery/ something hidden about her. I’m also suddenly starting to like [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] as sisters haha.

I like both names, and their imageries both appeal to me. I started off liking [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] more, but now I’m swaying towards [name_f]Ramona[/name_f].

@[name_f]Adelina[/name_f]: I didn’t realise the actress who plays [name_f]Karen[/name_f] is called [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]! I like it even more now!

Bump :dancer:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]!

1 Like

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] is one of my faves so she definitely gets my vote. I can kinda see the appeal of [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and why people like it, but I really don’t enjoy the β€œmoan” sound, and rather than feeling spunky and lively to me, she feels loud and precocious. :sweat_smile:

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f], on the other hand, is soft, free-spirited and slightly elegant too, but in an understated way. I love that it’s a subtle nature name through it’s meaning, and also the artistic connection via [name_m]Picasso[/name_m].

I’ve never known one IRL, but I would love to meet a little [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]!

[name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] and [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] would be lovely together too!

1 Like

Definitely Paloma,Ramona is a bit too vintage for me

1 Like

I love both. I do associate [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] heavily with you as she has been such a longtime love of yours and have always sort of questioned how she keeps getting away. Something to interrogate if she is on the table again this time.

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] I also associate with your search for number 3, but far less so. @vim 's [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u] combo always springs to mind for me with this one. I could never figure out a better combo.

Of the two, [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] is easily the more cosmopolitan. [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is the more zany and self-assured.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] as I like the nicknames of [name_u]Rae[/name_u] and [name_u]Romy[/name_u]. I don’t think their are many pleasing nicknames with [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]. Plus I think if [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f].

1 Like

I don’t often remember name meanings, but [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] definitely brings doves to mind :dove:
Because of the big dove association, it brings feelings of awe, serenity, and beauty to mind. As well as peace, of course! It also reminds me of the song, β€˜When Doves Cry’, and I do like that song quite a bit. Because of my heavy association with the bird, [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] reminds me of everything that I associate with birds. [name_u]Free[/name_u] spiritedness, gentle melodic songs, grace, and freedom. [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] feels like wind in your hair and the warmth of spring air. I really like [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]!

I think I slightly prefer the sound of [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] more though, It’s very snazzy and vivid. [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is loud, bright, spunky, and also a little bit gothic. It doesn’t bring to mind as many images to me, but I think I just love the beautiful β€˜r’ initial!

1 Like

Thanks all, quite an even split!

I love Ramona for its sense of mischief and fun, and the literary connection. I love Paloma for its quirky elegance and artistic links. I vacillate between which I prefer (and clearly have been since at least 2018 :crazy_face:)

This is what I love about it too :purple_heart:

The β€œmoan” sound puts me off a little as well, plus the name sounds a lot like β€œRemoaner”, which was a derogatory term for people who voted Remain in the Brexit referendum and voiced their displeasure after the vote! It’s what ultimately put us off Ramona for our 3019 baby β€” it all just felt a bit close to the bone at the time.

I adore Ramona but I’ll be honest, it’s a husband favourite rather than my top top choice. I do love it, but for me it’s just that bit longer than our other names, Spanish (not a problem, just no real connection), and sometimes I feel it’s just a little… I don’t know, brash?

I sound like I don’t like it and I really really do! But personally, I’d prefer to max out at 2 syllables for a first name, given our 10-letter, 3-syllable surname and short spunky sibling names. I’m aware these are very name nerdy requirements though, and I’m trying to broaden my mind!

Such a great summary! I’m glad we didn’t choose Ramona for #3 in the end. She is definitely zany and self-assured but she’s our wildcard straight blonde haired, blue-eyed child after two olive-skinned, curly dark hair and eyes kids, and it wouldn’t really have suited her.

I like Polly! But yes, I think of Paloma Faith a little too. But mainly Paloma Picasso :dove:

Such lovely imagery! I agree with you that Paloma is a little softer and lighter, and Ramona feels a little spunkier and bolder.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], it reminds me of the book series, so I picture a feisty, mischievous girl with a heart of gold. I’ve also been rewatching Outnumbered lately and the little girl, called [name_f]Karen[/name_f] on the show, is [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] in real life, which is another positive association.
[name_u]Romy[/name_u] could be a sweet nickname.

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] feels a little softer and also a little more Spanish; I do like it but I don’t have any positive (nor negative) associations that would push it into the β€œlove” category.

Fwiw, I think [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] absolutely has the quirkyness necessary to stand next to your children’s shorter names.

𝒄𝒖𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕 π’‡π’‚π’—π’π’–π’“π’Šπ’•π’†π’”

π‘‰π‘–π‘π‘‘π‘œπ‘Ÿ π‘‚π‘‘π‘–π‘™π‘œπ‘› π΅π‘Žπ‘ π‘–π‘™, π΄π‘›π‘œπ‘’π‘˜ πΆπ‘’π‘π‘–π‘™π‘–π‘Ž π‘€π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘”π‘œπ‘‘

π»π‘’π‘”π‘œ π‘π‘–π‘π‘Žπ‘›π‘œπ‘Ÿ πΈπ‘‘π‘šπ‘’π‘›π‘‘, π‘‚π‘“π‘’π‘™π‘–π‘Ž π‘…π‘œπ‘ π‘Žπ‘šπ‘’π‘›π‘‘ 𝑆𝑦𝑏𝑖𝑙

π΅π‘’π‘π‘˜π‘’π‘‘π‘‘ πΆπ‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘ π‘œ, 𝐴𝑑𝑒𝑙𝑒 π‘‡β„Žπ‘œπ‘šπ‘Žπ‘ π‘–π‘›π‘Ž, πΌπ‘£π‘œπ‘Ÿ πΈπ‘™π‘™π‘–π‘œπ‘‘π‘‘, 𝐴𝑖𝑛𝑒 π‘…π‘œπ‘ π‘Žπ‘™π‘–π‘›π‘‘

1 Like

Both are so beautiful! Ramona is fiery :fire: and Paloma is sweet :dove: I speak Spanish, so for this reason I would choose Paloma, since Ramona reminds me too much of the men I’ve met named Ramon. However, I’d be excited to meet babies with both names! I’m sorry if I’m no help lol.

1 Like

Thank you! I agree :hugs:

Thanks for your input! I tend to prefer fiery over sweet but I think Paloma has enough quirk and character that like you, I end up torn!

1 Like

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] feels modern day fashion designer who loves a 50s-80s β€˜vintage’ aesthetic. I get stylish, fun, energetic, but also no nonsense, hard working, and determined too. She’d do, act, say, and dress how she likes, regardless of what anyone else thinks or says, and always pull it off spectacularly. For comparison I get similar vibes from [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]. Also I think [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f] is worth a mention, because I’ve always thought she embodies the name really well. And [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] rolls off the tongue so nicely imo.

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is more mysterious, darker, and quieter. I get more Victorian adjacent vibes, cobbled streets, and darkness only broken by streetlights. Probably something to do with vampires. I imagine a modern day [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] would enjoy reading, wear shirts under jumpers, and always have a book clutched to her chest. She’d seem a little shy and quiet, lost in her own world, and all of a sudden she’d be correcting someone stubbornly refusing to listen to the facts or calmly slamming a bigot (the usual). She knows a lot, but no-one is quite sure if it’s just through books or there’s real life experience in there. Namewise I get the same feeling from [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. And I definitely think I get the mysterious, unknown backstory element because of [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] Flowers in [name_u]Scott[/name_u] Pilgrim.

If the two weren’t too similar sound-wise, I can imagine [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] as sisters who get on each other’s last nerve, but are fiercely loyal and the first to come to the other’s defense or aid (whatever the case may be).

As much as I love saying [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], there’s something about [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] (and Mona?) that keeps calling me back.

I hope this makes some sense!

1 Like