Rank/Rate these first names!

Though DH thinks I’m nuts for thinking about a second daughter’s name when we don’t even have the first yet, I convinced him to play along, and we managed to narrow the list down to these top ten that we (mostly) agree on. He’s still not crazy about [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], although he didn’t outright veto it this time (progress!), and I’m not really in love with [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (though I do like it well enough and could maybe see it growing on me), but the others we both like and could see using.

The middle name will be [name_f]Theophania[/name_f], the surname is one syllable ([name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds fine with it, BTW), and we’re not bothered by popularity. Brother’s name is [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], and her sister’s name will be [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to either rank these names for favorite to least favorite or rate them on a 1-10 scale. Or just comment if you want. Thanks!

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] are the only names I like from this list.
My least favorites are: [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f].

[name_f]Theophania[/name_f] is simply divine as a first name I think! I see your theme of an unusual middle, however it is too good a name not to be in the prime spot.
Mn ideas are
[name_f]Theophania[/name_f] [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Theophania[/name_f] [name_u]Merle[/name_u] (favourite!)
[name_f]Theophania[/name_f] [name_f]Lux[/name_f]
[name_f]Theophania[/name_f] [name_f]Easter[/name_f]
[name_f]Theophania[/name_f] [name_f]Mable[/name_f]
[name_f]Theophania[/name_f] [name_f]Mariel[/name_f]

[name_f]Emily[/name_f]- Cute name
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]- [name_f]Love[/name_f] how this is slightly out there but too long with the middle name
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]- See above
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]- This would work
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]- Despite my comments on the length this is my favourite combination with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] in the middle!
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]- Classic, biblical and my friend’s name so I’m biased!
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]- [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t like this as it is nms
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]- [name_f]Love[/name_f] this also but too long [name_f]IMO[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]- This name is so cute! [name_f]Love[/name_f] the [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] spelling also.
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]- Not keen on this at all.

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] – it’s okay. There are a ton of Emilys out there and that’s made me somewhat immune to the name. Have you considered the similar but less common and more elegant (in my opinion) [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]?

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] – don’t like it. Sorry.

[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] – I should like it since it’s similar to my name, but it’s only okay to me. I’d only use it with the nickname [name_f]Elle[/name_f].

[name_f]Grace[/name_f] – I like this in the middle name spot.

[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] – [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t like it. I’ve never liked the name and the recent trendiness of it just turned me off more, regardless of how it’s spelled.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] – [name_f]Love[/name_f] this! My favorite name on your list. I especially like it short for [name_f]Lucia[/name_f].

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] – I feel like this name needs a partner. If [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], et al make it more substantial to me.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] – I really don’t like this name at all, sorry.

[name_u]Vivien[/name_u] – I like this, but spelled [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. The [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] spelling doesn’t look pretty to me.

[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] – I like this and would rate it second after [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

1. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] - This sounds wonderful. And [name_f]Grace[/name_f] fits well with [name_m]William[/name_m] “[name_m]Liam[/name_m]” and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f].
  2. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] - [name_f]Love[/name_f] the combo, it is stunning and the name [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is just so happy sounding to me
  3. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] - Beautiful! Plus [name_u]Gabby[/name_u], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], and [name_f]Bri[/name_f] are really cute nn!
  5. [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  6. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  7. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  8. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  9. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] - While I absolutely love the name [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] I just do not like it with this middle name
  10. [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] - [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] is a cool name, just don’t particularly love it with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] and [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] just doesn’t seem to “fit” as well with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f].

I really like many of the names. [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] are all in my top 5 for my next baby and my [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] is 5.

1. [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Emily[/name_f]
  6. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
  7. [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]
  8. [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
  9. [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
  10. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

@hanbow - Oh, I would love to use [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] upfront, too, but DH will only agree to it as a middle. He prefers more familiar names in the first spot.

@gabriela - [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is gorgeous, but I don’t like it paired with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] due to the matching -ia endings.

Thanks, everyone! Any more thoughts?

I didn’t see this one yesterday! Sorry Muffy!

[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] - [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] would be spectacular!
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]

I just find these three boring…
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] best. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_u]Vivien[/name_u], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] are nice but I am not keen on others, sorry.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] are my favorites. I think they all sound wonderful with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] and [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] as well. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would probably be my favorite choice with the sibset and the mn. I also really love [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] but they seem a little off with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] to me.

[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]- my favorite name! And I like how it sounds with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f].
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]- my favorite word/virtue name, I like it with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f].
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]- like it, but not sure I like it with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]- love this spelling, a bit too popular for me, it sounds okay with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]- a bit trendy right now, but I like it. I don’t really like it with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f].
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]- classic virtue name, but I like your others better.
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]- I know a bunch of Emilys, so its not my favorite. I don’t like it with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]- see [name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]- Its just a bit boring.
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]- Its boring to me, nms

All of these are beautiful names! Here are my rankings by fit:

1. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  6. [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  7. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  8. [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  9. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]
  10. [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]

If you’re going with a five-syllable name like [name_f]Theophania[/name_f], a shorter first name would be best. [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are all very sleek, short, and classic, so they offset [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] well. [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] is a bit quirkier, but also works. The others are beautiful names (and are some of my favorites), but they’re too much of a mouthful with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f]. You might also like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f], or [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f].

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] is a little too bland and boring for me, sorry.
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is beautiful. Really like this.
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] is really nice, keeps appearing on and off my list!
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] is meh for me. I think I like it but I’m not 100% sure.
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is such a nice name and is my own daughters.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is okay. Not a personal choice though.
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is classic and okay.
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f], nope. Dislike this unfortunately. Like [name_u]Penny[/name_u] though.
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u] is gorgeous.
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] would not of been my personal choice but is okay.

Favourites are [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f].

Hmm…
To be honest I think [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] is a really odd name to have paired with such strong lengthy classics ([name_m]William[/name_m] & [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]) she just doesn’t feel ‘grand’ enough. [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] would work with [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] and [name_m]Liam[/name_m] but [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is just a no. So in my head I would rule out [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] but I really like [name_f]Grace[/name_f] she’s elegant and pretty.

My thoughts on the other names:
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] - I really like [name_f]Emily[/name_f] she’s a sweet underrated classic but I find that she feels a little soft with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] would sound better in this sibling set. 5/10

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] - A lovely classic, she sounds perfect with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] works well together as well, sounds like a very pretty classic combination. I also love the nicknames [name_f]Flick[/name_f] and Fliss their very sweet and work well. 9/10

[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f] she has the length of [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. Visually [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f], [name_m]William[/name_m], and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] look great together, they also sound great too!! I dislike the [name_u]Gaby[/name_u] nickname but I like the nickname ‘[name_f]Elle[/name_f]’ for [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]. I love this sibling set it’s just pure class 10/10.

[name_f]Grace[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Grace[/name_f] she’s elegant and demure. I also love the soft religious imagery of [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. She’s a lovely choice. But lacks the length that [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] have which potentially could be visually strange. Still I love [name_f]Grace[/name_f], I also love the nickname (well nickname lengthening) of [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]. [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] is adorable as well. 9/10

[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] - A very pretty choice. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] has a lot of appeal she’s a pretty, light choice with an easy flow. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] works with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] but in away I would prefer [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] has more strength then [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] just because of [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]'s ‘a’ ending makes her pack more of a punch. 7/10

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - Ugh I dislike [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] it always reminds me of the word ‘loose’ and is just so popular in an annoying way in [name_f]England[/name_f] (where I am) and I dislike how [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] sounds with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. 1/10

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] - A lovely name, she’s underrated and of recent years underused, she’s a classic. Very sweet and humble. I love how [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] look together. But wouldn’t use the middle name [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] I think [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] sounds prettier with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] 8/10

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - Another gorgeous choice, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] sounds so classic and sounds beautiful, I also love how [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] looks with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] visually looks better than shorter classics like for example [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_m]William[/name_m], and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] together - [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] looks visually better as their similar in length. Also [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] works! 10/10

[name_u]Vivien[/name_u] - Not my favourite spelling I prefer [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] or [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] but still [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] is a nice choice she works with [name_f]Theophania[/name_f] but I think the spelling [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] works better with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]. In all honesty I don’t like how [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] looks with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] she feels incomplete 5/10

[name_f]Zoe[/name_f] - Doesn’t work with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] in my eyes 2/10

I think [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] go best with your very classic first names and elaborate middle name, with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as an outlier possibility.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions.

Personally, this is how I’d rate them;
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_u]Zoe[/name_u]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]

As for the baby; [name_f]Mary[/name_f] fits with the other siblings names. So does [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f]!