Rare Boy Names You Don't Know: What's Your Score?

The boys’ version of our rare name challenge is up on the blog today!

79% of you only knew up to 20 of the 134 rare girl names we profiled recently (big :raised_hands: to the 2% who knew almost all of them!)

But how many of these super rare boy names do you know?

Tell us your score, and share your favourite new discoveries below!

• 0-20
  • 21-40
  • 41-60
  • 61-80
  • 81-100
  • 101-120
  • 121-136

0 voters

Great list! I faired a little better than I usually do on these lists and knew (still only) 36, although I never quite trust my own score - I look at a lot of names!
Favourites ~
[name_m]Akello[/name_m], [name_m]Alawin[/name_m],
[name_m]Calesto[/name_m],
[name_m]Elidor[/name_m]
[name_m]Ishmerai[/name_m]
[name_m]Otieno[/name_m], [name_m]Ozran[/name_m]
[name_m]Shyam[/name_m]
[name_m]Talmai[/name_m]
[name_m]Veremund[/name_m]
[name_m]Zindel[/name_m]

1 Like

Only 11!

1 Like

[name_m]Pavao[/name_m] :heart: Thanks for including this gem! Also, I was hoping to see [name_m]Ashbel[/name_m] on this list, I saw that you posted in on a thread about underappreaciated names (if my memory serves me right), and I’ve been crazy about him these past few days!

1 Like

Ooh yes I love [name_m]Ashbel[/name_m] :heart_eyes: I’m such a sucker for pretty boy names. Definitely a good candidate!

1 Like

I’m intrigued by [name_m]Symphorian[/name_m] and [name_m]Veremund[/name_m]! I had 15 names or so, which is less than what I had expected. I should research on boy names a bit more :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I only knew [name_m]Meriasek[/name_m], which was… probably not a surprise, actually.

1 Like

I only knew about 15 of them and I think the only one I’ve come across in real life is [name_m]Badou[/name_m] (but I can’t remember if this was his surname).

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_m]Iakopa[/name_m], [name_m]Ozran[/name_m], [name_m]Saphir[/name_m] & [name_m]Tekoa[/name_m]. I’m also happy to see a Welsh name (Pryderi) on the list!

1 Like

I only knew a few. They were all very interesting! I especially enjoyed [name_m]Emereo[/name_m], [name_m]Saphir[/name_m] and [name_m]Ishvi[/name_m].

1 Like

Only 11! I did better with the girls and even knew a few in real life. The boys not so much!

[name_m]Jacca[/name_m] is a new one for me, I love the cool energetic sound! Reminds me of [name_m]Joah[/name_m] and [name_m]Jedah[/name_m], two other underused favorites of mine!

1 Like

I knew 17- some were familiar from Hebrew names and some are Habesha/Ethiopian/Eritrean names. I used to work with Eritrean refugees and Phanuel/Fanuel was very popular with boys.

Can’t say I love the majority of them for me but as someone with an unusual name, I always appreciate a good rare name.

I like:
[name_m]Akello[/name_m]
[name_m]Arrigo[/name_m]
[name_m]Emereo[/name_m] (this is like a cool spin on Romeo)
[name_m]Jurian[/name_m]
[name_m]Maoz[/name_m]
[name_m]Ogier[/name_m]
[name_m]Ozran[/name_m]

1 Like

I knew 16, many of them the obscure Biblical names like [name_m]Abimael[/name_m] and [name_m]Tekoa[/name_m].

1 Like

I like [name_m]Abimael[/name_m], [name_m]Ahmose[/name_m], [name_m]Ambrus[/name_m], [name_m]Elidor[/name_m], [name_m]Galador[/name_m], [name_m]Haneul[/name_m] (I knew of Mayeul), [name_m]Isaeus[/name_m], [name_m]Madern[/name_m] (I know the name [name_m]Edern[/name_m] or Maden), [name_m]Maoz[/name_m], [name_m]Margus[/name_m], [name_m]Meriasek[/name_m] (I know a boy named Meriadec), [name_m]Odissan[/name_m], [name_m]Phanuel[/name_m], [name_m]Quiel[/name_m], [name_m]Ripheus[/name_m], [name_m]Talmai[/name_m], [name_m]Veremund[/name_m], [name_m]Ysai[/name_m] (I know Isaie), [name_m]Zophar[/name_m] (I know of Zohar).

I knew [name_m]Charlot[/name_m], [name_m]Coriolan[/name_m], [name_m]Iakopa[/name_m], [name_m]Joram[/name_m], [name_m]Lothair[/name_m], [name_m]Mircea[/name_m], [name_m]Nahuel[/name_m], [name_m]Naor[/name_m], [name_m]Pelleas[/name_m], [name_m]Pharez[/name_m], [name_m]Polydore[/name_m], [name_m]Saphir[/name_m], [name_m]Solal[/name_m] (I know several [name_m]Solal[/name_m] in France), [name_m]Stelian[/name_m], [name_m]Symphorian[/name_m], [name_u]Tahoma[/name_u], [name_m]Theodule[/name_m], [name_m]Wandrille[/name_m], [name_m]Xoan[/name_m], [name_m]Zacheo[/name_m]. That makes 20.

1 Like

I was looking for a rare boy name I named my son exactly 13 months ago to the day!l :blush: [name_m]Sylvain[/name_m]. I think it’s so rare that it’s off the radar here in the US.

1 Like

i don’t any of them because they aren’t my style and they are all to hard to pronounce

I had 13 my faves were [name_m]Dalziel[/name_m], [name_m]Dabney[/name_m], [name_m]Eskel[/name_m], [name_m]Garvan[/name_m], [name_m]Pharez[/name_m], & my real fave [name_m]Pryderi[/name_m]!

Now, can I get a link to the Girls list, please?! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I knew 48! The only one I can think of that I know someone irl with the name is [name_u]Nashoba[/name_u].

Some of my favorites (* = names I’ve had on my lists before)
[name_m]Ahmose[/name_m]
[name_m]Alard[/name_m]
Ambrus*
[name_m]Cebrian[/name_m]
[name_m]Coriolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Dabney[/name_m]
[name_m]Elfryn[/name_m]
[name_m]Elidor[/name_m]
[name_m]Emiland[/name_m]
[name_m]Ishmerai[/name_m]
[name_m]Kenver[/name_m]
Pryderi*
[name_m]Redvers[/name_m]
[name_m]Rewan[/name_m]
[name_m]Roronoa[/name_m]
[name_m]Saphir[/name_m]
[name_m]Sendoa[/name_m]
Stelian*
[name_m]Symphorian[/name_m]
Vachel* (glad to be reminded of how much I love this one!)
[name_m]Wandrille[/name_m]
[name_m]Ysai[/name_m]
[name_m]Zindel[/name_m]

2 Likes

I knew 11!

1 Like