Rare Irish Girl Names & Meanings

Hi! I thought it would be fun for my first post to be about some of the rarer Irish girl names (considering my own is quite rare). Feel free to add your own and make this a thread!

Nóinín
Meaning Daisy. I’ve always pronounced it “Na-neen” but I believe that’s a family pronunciation rather than what it’s actually meant to be :see_no_evil: My nickname has always been Nina anyway :joy:

Líadan
Meaning Grey Lady. Pronounced Leah-din.

Caireann
Meaning little beloved, which is adorable. Pronounced more like Cay-reen, rather than Karen.

Sheelin
Named after Lough Sheelin, which means lake of the fairies. So cute! Pronounced She-leen as far as I know.

Eibhlín
Meaning shining. Pronounced Ey-vleen, but I’ve definitely heard it pronounced as the traditional Evelyn.

Cadhla
Meaning graceful. Pronounced like Kyla

7 Likes

Your name is gorgeous! Never heard that before :slight_smile:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] and Caireann!

I like [name_f]Siofra[/name_f] and [name_f]Clodagh[/name_f] :slight_smile:

You have such a special name!!! :heart_eyes::white_heart:

I’ve been obsessed with [name_u]Irish[/name_u] names lately and to be honest I can’t pick which name is my favourite, I love all the names you listed :blush:

Thank you for sharing them with us :snowflake::sparkles:

[name_u]Welcome[/name_u] to Nameberry ! I sincerely hope you enjoy it here, everyone’s quite nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

Your list of names is so beautiful, thank you for sharing ! I especially like yours; the meaning of “daisy” is precious ! I’d like to add Lasairfhíona, my favorite [name_u]Irish[/name_u] name, meaning “flame of wine”. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! I’m loving Líadan!

Ooo ur name is so pretty! [name_u]Welcome[/name_u] to nameberry!!