Rate My Top 25 List

Our boys’ name list keeps shrinking (twice down to only 1 name) and then regrowing again, so rather than just picking one right now we’re narrowing it down to include all those that we’d be happy with, and will figure out THE one in the next stage. I realize it’s a unique list, and for some people there may not really be any names that you like, but let me know which ones you like more than others.

What are your thoughts on these names?

• [name]Cian[/name]
  • [name]Caius[/name]
  • [name]Callum[/name]
  • Kaiyan
  • Caelum
  • [name]Bodhi[/name]
  • [name]Cassius[/name]
  • [name]Makai[/name]
  • Roshan
  • [name]Amin[/name]
  • [name]Conrad[/name]
  • [name]Eamon[/name]
  • Ayman
  • [name]Alaric[/name]
  • Jarrah
  • [name]Phineas[/name]
  • [name]Amias[/name]
  • [name]Soren[/name]
  • [name]Nolan[/name]
  • [name]Rhett[/name]
  • Arius
  • Jedrek
  • [name]Rylan[/name]
  • [name]Alden[/name]
  • [name]Booker[/name]

I love some, like others and dislike some.

I love:

• [name]Caius[/name] – Very handsome with great history. As long as you’re pronouncing it right :stuck_out_tongue:
  • [name]Cassius[/name] – [name]Love[/name] it! Very heroic sounding and handsome. I pronounce it cash-us but either pronunciation is great
  • [name]Conrad[/name] – Very cool but sophisticated name with great literary cred
  • [name]Soren[/name] – I [name]LOVE[/name] this name (and it’s on my own list). Very cool historical reference and the sound is just so handsome.

I like:

• [name]Cian[/name] – There’s nothing wrong with it, I just don’t like the sound too much.
  • [name]Callum[/name] – I could never love this name, but I do this it has a handsome sound.
  • [name]Alaric[/name] – While I think this name is very cool, I tend to prefer it as a middle name.
  • [name]Rhett[/name] – I love Gone With the Wind, and [name]Rhett[/name] is handsome, but not really my style
  • Jarrah – I actually know someone named Jarrah, and I think it’s very cool, but so much better for a middle name. He pronounces it jahr-rah (so like Jar for the first syllable, not like Farrah (fair-uh)) I only like it pronounced like he does.

I don’t like:

• Kaiyan – Again, I like [name]Kai[/name], but this seems like a trendy version.
  • Caelum – Dislike the sound, but maybe it’d be a good middle name. [name]Callum[/name]'s better though.
  • [name]Bodhi[/name] – Nothing wrong with this name, it just always seems immature to me
  • [name]Makai[/name] – I love just [name]Kai[/name], but this name seems a little…meh to me.
  • Roshan – This one has an interesting sound, but I don’t like the look at all. Maybe you’d like [name]Rohan[/name]?
  • [name]Amin[/name] – Again, the sound just grates at me a bit
  • [name]Eamon[/name] – This just isn’t my style. It sounds sort of whiney to me
  • Ayman – This seems like it should be the same as [name]Eamon[/name] but a weird spelling?
  • [name]Phineas[/name] – This one makes me think of the cartoon, and I can’t get past it at the moment >.<
  • Amias – This sounds like a biblical name, but I’ve never heard of it. It’s nms
  • Nolan – There’s nothing wrong with this one, I just can’t like it for some reason. There’s something about the sound that bothers me
  • Arius – I’ve never heard of this. I think it would be a cool middle name, but I don’t know for a first name.
  • Jedrek – This one sound make up to me, but I’m sure it’s not. There are better Jed names
  • Rylan – This one seems trendy and just blah compared to a lot of your historical/literary and handsome names
  • Alden – Just like Booker, it sounds fine, but I just don’t like it
  • Booker – There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just really nms but it’d be a cool middle name

Hope I wasn’t too harsh.

I’ll use dantea’s format for this :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name]:
[name]Caius[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name] - lovelovelove, this and [name]Cassius[/name] are the best
[name]Rhett[/name]

Like:
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
Arius - never heard of it before, but there’s something appealing about it

Ambivalent:
[name]Cian[/name]
[name]Bodhi[/name]
[name]Amin[/name]
[name]Alaric[/name]
[name]Amias[/name]
[name]Soren[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Booker[/name]

Dislike:
Kaiyan
Caelum - brings to mind caecum
[name]Makai[/name]
Roshan
Ayman - this spelling conjures the image of a stoner with the whole “hey man”/“ay man” thing. Much prefer [name]Eamon[/name]
Jarrah
Jedrek
[name]Rylan[/name]

I’ll do my list the same way Dantea did hers. I like:

• [name]Makai[/name]- I’ve loved this as a name since I found out “Gul [name]Makai[/name]” was Malala Yousafzai’s pseudonym on her blog for the BBC.
  • [name]Cian[/name] - Though pronunciation could be tough
  • [name]Eamon[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this one!
  • [name]Caius[/name]- I really like it, and [name]Cai[/name] is a great nn.
  • [name]Callum[/name] - [name]One[/name] of my personal favorites, and I like the meaning, “dove,” and the peace associations with that.
  • [name]Alden[/name]- I really like this name! I also like [name]Auden[/name]
  • [name]Bodhi[/name]- I love the enlightenment association and I think it’s a great sounding name, but personally I’d make sure I was extremely knowledgeable about many forms of Buddhism before I used [name]Bodhi[/name] because the two are so closely associated.
  • [name]Amias[/name] - Great meaning
  • [name]Phineas[/name]
  • [name]Soren[/name]
  • [name]Nolan[/name]

These are so-so:

• Roshan- I don’t dislike it, I just feel completely neutral about it. No strong feelings either way.
  • [name]Amin[/name]- is this ah-MEEN, [name]AH[/name]-min, AY-min? I don’t dislike any of them, but I’m confused. However, if it’s pronounced like [name]Eamon[/name], I’d just use [name]Eamon[/name].
  • Caelum - Its astronomical associations are really cool, but the pronunciation, SEE-lum, is really not intuitive and KAIL-um is pronouncing a dictionary word wrong, so I don’t like that either. I think [name]Caelin[/name] or [name]Caelan[/name], two legitimate Irish names from separate but related roots, work better.
  • [name]Alaric[/name]
  • [name]Cassius[/name]

I don’t like:

• Kaiyan- I quite like Caian, which is actually the name of an obscure saint, but I’d either use that spelling or drop the name. Kaiyan looks bad to me.
  • [name]Conrad[/name]- it’s very nerdy grandpa to me, even though I know a teenage [name]Conrad[/name]. I can usually get over that (I like [name]Arthur[/name], which I’d say is kind of nerdy grandpa) but this is just too clunky for me.
  • Ayman- I prefer [name]Eamon[/name].
  • Jarrah- [name]Just[/name] not my taste, and a little too similar to [name]Farrah[/name], [name]Sarah[/name] and the like.
  • [name]Rhett[/name]- Harsh to me.
  • Arius - Sounds too much like “aryan” to me.
  • Jedrek- Sounds like a mash-up, not very appealing to me.
  • [name]Rylan[/name] - Very tryndee. It doesn’t seem to fit with the other names on this list.
  • [name]Booker[/name]- Too last namey for me. I agree with dantea, though, it would make a great middle.

Appreciate the detailed responses. They’re very helpful.

[name]Daisy[/name]- Where did you find information about the name Caian? I’m curious about that one.

The correct pronunciation is like [name]KYE[/name]-us, yes? (like rhymes with eye-us). I ask cuz I know sometimes it’s also pronounced as ‘keys’ (at least in the UK).

I love:
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]

I really like:
[name]Booker[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Soren[/name]
[name]Amias[/name]
[name]Alaric[/name]

I quite like:
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Amin[/name] (but [name]Idi[/name] [name]Amin[/name] is about as bad an association as they come)

I’m not keen on the others.

Good luck!

Yes, [name]Caius[/name] would be pronounced [name]KYE[/name]-us ([name]Kye[/name] rhymes with eye). It’s such a handsome name.

He doesn’t seem to be much of a saint, and the only real evidence for his existence seems to be a Church in [name]Wales[/name], but it does give credence to the name itself. If you’re looking to name after a [name]Saint[/name], I don’t think Caian is a great choice, but if you’re just looking for an interesting and attractive name it could work.
Also, I pronounce it [name]KYE[/name]-an, but that’s a complete guess- I haven’t found any information on pronunciation.

I’ve left the ones I like below…and I love [name]Conrad[/name] and [name]Nolan[/name]! :wink:

• [name]Caius[/name]
  • [name]Callum[/name]
  • [name]Bodhi[/name]
  • [name]Cassius[/name]
  • [name]Conrad[/name]
  • [name]Eamon[/name]
  • [name]Alaric[/name]
  • [name]Phineas[/name]
  • [name]Amias[/name]
  • [name]Soren[/name]
  • [name]Nolan[/name]
  • [name]Rhett[/name]
  • Arius

I do like the name (Caian) quite a bit, it has the pronunciation of Kaiyan (which I really like) without the awkward spelling. It feels like a Latin name too, which is always cool. If I did end up going with this name it wouldn’t matter to me that the saint is unknown and didn’t do much, I’d mostly be using it cuz I like the name. But it’s hard for me to use a name I don’t know the meaning to and don’t know the for sure pronunciation. I would also pronounce it [name]KYE[/name]-an, but that’s just cuz of my familiarity with [name]Caius[/name]. I’m also not finding any information out there in the internet world to get more info about the name itself. If you ever come across anything let me know. I’ll do some more research on it a bit later. But I do like it. If I can find more info, it’ll definitely get tossed into the possibility list.

I love [name]Alaric[/name] and [name]Amias[/name] the most. These are amazing as well: [name]Caius[/name], [name]Cassius[/name], [name]Amin[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Eamon[/name], [name]Phineas[/name], [name]Rhett[/name].

Caian would be pronounced [name]KYE[/name]-an. Like how you want it. The [name]Caia[/name] part would be pronounced the same way as in named like [name]Maia[/name], [name]Gaia[/name], [name]Caia[/name]/[name]Kaia[/name] (the girls name). So [name]KYE[/name]-an is correct. :slight_smile:

• [name]Cian[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this Irish name and I’m glad that you have the correct spelling with a “C”.
  • [name]Caius[/name] - An ancient [name]Roman[/name] name that I find appealing.
  • [name]Callum[/name] - Getting popular - very quickly! I used to like it now I’m iffy.
  • Kaiyan - looks like a trendy spelling
  • Caelum - [name]Love[/name] the name but pronunciation may be an issue.
  • [name]Bodhi[/name] - A little too hippyish for my taste.
  • [name]Cassius[/name]- Gorgeous
  • [name]Makai[/name] - Not sure about this one. It looks like [name]Malachi[/name] messed up!
  • Roshan - Ok
  • [name]Amin[/name] - I would advise you to research [name]Idi[/name] [name]Amin[/name]. He was a very bad character in African history.
  • [name]Conrad[/name] - strong and manly
  • [name]Eamon[/name] - love it
  • Ayman - not a fan
  • [name]Alaric[/name] - too harsh
  • Jarrah - too feminine
  • [name]Phineas[/name] - an underused Biblical gem
  • [name]Amias[/name] - I like this and it’s not common
  • [name]Soren[/name] - Ok
  • [name]Nolan[/name] - I see this name a lot on other sites. It’s a little too trendy now.
  • [name]Rhett[/name] - Strongly association with Mr [name]Butler[/name]
  • Arius - OK
  • Jedrek - Harsh sounding
  • [name]Rylan[/name] - trendy
  • [name]Alden[/name] - a great nature name
  • [name]Booker[/name] - All I hear is “book her”. Not a fan.

Faves: [name]Cassius[/name], [name]Cian[/name], [name]Caius[/name], [name]Eamon[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Amias[/name], [name]Phineas[/name] and [name]Alden[/name].

These are my favorites from your list. Really love these names!

• [name]Bodhi[/name]
  • [name]Cassius[/name]
  • [name]Conrad[/name]
  • [name]Alaric[/name]
  • Jarrah
  • [name]Rhett[/name]
  • [name]Rylan[/name]
  • [name]Alden[/name]
  • [name]Booker[/name]

Great thanks! [name]Do[/name] you have any idea what it means? I see that a similarly spelled word means ‘to collapse’ in Spanish, but I’m thinking it might have a Welsh meaning as well (?) since it’s the name of a Welsh saint from long ago. Can’t find any info though

Thanks for the responses everyone, the ones that are most likely holiding the top spots seem to be getting quite a bit of love, which I find confirming. These ones seem to be most likely holding the top spots:

[name]Caius[/name]
[name]Amias[/name]
[name]Cian[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
Caian (maybe, if I can find more info about it)
[name]Conrad[/name]

[name]Caia[/name] means “rejoice” so assume it means the same (only a male version). He was a saint, the son or grandson of a [name]King[/name].

So, based on the beginning of it, [name]Caia[/name], I assume it means “rejoice” like [name]Caia[/name] does.

I definitely wonder if it’s related to [name]Caia[/name] or [name]Caius[/name], but since he was an ancient Welsh saint, perhaps it’s an unrelated Welsh sound-alike? There’s also a Caian river in Romania.

I like [name]Callum[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Soren[/name], and [name]Rylan[/name].