Rate my top names/suggest some others?

We are expecting a boy soon and need a name to go with big sister [name_f]Daphne[/name_f].

I have a few I love but my husband is indecisive. Here are my faves:
-Hector
-Horatio (or Horace)
-Constantine
-Lucian
-Ernest.

We are also considering [name_m]Griffith[/name_m] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m].

Any thoughts or other ideas? Which name would you go with?

Our surname is two syllables ending on -son (think [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] or [name_u]Wilson[/name_u] etc) so I’m slightly concerned a name ending in -n will sound weird.

1 Like

-Hector - a strong and solid name, though I find it a tad harsh for my tastes

-Horatio - I know a lot of people here don’t like it (especially because of the first syllable) but I do love this. It has a cool meaning, I love the [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] association and the sound :slight_smile:

-Constantine - this had grandeur and flair

-Lucian - do you pronounce it Loo-shun or loo-see-un? Both are good, the first feels warmer, the latter sleeker, but both are arty and cool

-Ernest - clunky cute, and underused these days! [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] is so fun!

I find [name_m]Griffith[/name_m] a bit hard to say personally, but I love the grandeur and meaning of [name_m]Solomon[/name_m].

A few suggestions:

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_u]Sylvester[/name_u]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_m]Jerome[/name_m]

1 Like

-Hector- my first thought was “harsh,” but it’s got a cool, quirky old-fashioned (1920s?) feel to it that I sort of like.

-Horatio (or Horace)- I wish I liked it, but I really, really don’t, sorry :pensive:

-Constantine- I love this one, but this spelling with the c and e has always looked more feminine to me (probably because it reminds me of Constance). I prefer [name_u]Konstantin[/name_u] or [name_m]Constantin[/name_m] for a boy.

-Lucian- depends on the pronunciation. I’m not the biggest fan of Lu-shun (though I totally get the appeal- it feels warm and artistic), but I love the sleek, mysterious feel of Lu-see-in.

-Ernest- for some reason, this gives me major “train conductor wearing a monocle” vibes :joy: but I actually like it and it feels cool, sleek, and vintage.

[name_m]Griffith[/name_m] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] are both really cool!

From @Greyblue’s suggestions, I second [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]!
I would also suggest [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_m]Roland[/name_m], and [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m].

1 Like

[name_m]Ernest[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Griffith[/name_m] & [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] best from your list.

Other ideas:

[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_u]Franklin[/name_u]
[name_f]Irva[/name_f]
[name_u]Joseph[/name_u]
[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u]
[name_u]Sylvester[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_u]Watson[/name_u]
[name_u]William[/name_u]

[name_m]Ernest[/name_m], nickname [name_m]Ernie[/name_m] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: