Ray, or Oscar/Ozzy?

I want opinions from Americans on whether [name_u]Ray[/name_u] or [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] (with [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] as a nickname) will be an easier name for a baby both to live with.

(Normally I’d love an international perspective, but I’m asking from Americans only as I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] in particular is a name perceived differently in the US than elsewhere!)

The name is for a little white American boy growing up in [name_u]Southern[/name_u] [name_u]California[/name_u].

I say [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]. Neither are hard to really live with. [name_u]Ray[/name_u] is over common in my opinion and I feel like [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] fits the SoCal vibe much more than [name_u]Ray[/name_u] does

Both seem like normal names that a boy would be perfectly fine with having! Personally I prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] “[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m],” and I think it works really well for a little boy in CA.

Within the context of [name_u]Southern[/name_u] [name_u]California[/name_u] I would think an [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] has Hispanic background. However, it’s a pretty international name so no particular imagery comes to mind. There is the [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] the Grouch connection but I wouldn’t let that phase me

Ray reads older and kind of nickname-y to me. I have trouble seeing it on a baby personally but no reason it couldn’t work… I would prefer it as a middle to a more complex name personally. Within the SoCal context (given that I’ve never been), will the [name_f]Marina[/name_f] del [name_u]Rey[/name_u] connection be annoying? I can’t say

Overall, I agree both are easy enough to live with but I do prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

I prefer Oscar nn Ozzy (love Ozzy!). I agree that it is typically much more common for people a Hispanic background here. But not exclusively; it’s a fairly international name, so I wouldn’t let that stop you. Ray feels very dated to me, although I do kind of like it.

(I’m in southern ca too btw! And I know a little boy named Ozzie :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

I’m married to an American who lived in the States till 2015 (so maybe not the most up to date view?) who thinks that [name_u]Ray[/name_u] is a completely normal, very usable name (she has an Uncle [name_u]Ray[/name_u], I just learned).

She also wasn’t sure why you’d be hesitant about [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] as that sounds normal and usable to her, too. After thinking hard about it she wondered if it’s because of [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Mayer[/name_m] Wiener? (I don’t know what that is, as an European!) She said that wouldn’t stop her from using [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], though.

I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] fits the vibe more for a little boy in SoCal

And plus ozzy is such a fun nickname!

They’re both cute and easily wearable names! I know of a little [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and it’s also on my own list. (I’m in the US)

Both seem usable! [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]/Ozzy is more on trend at the moment, and I prefer it personally, but both are definitely usable

I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]! [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is such an adorable name :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] “[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]” is adorable, and I think it might age a little better than [name_u]Ray[/name_u]!

I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] so much but this is from the perspective of an American who wants to name their future kid [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. [name_u]Ray[/name_u] works too!

Midwest American…
Unpopular opinion- I don’t love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] or [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]. I think of [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] the grouch or [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] [name_m]Osborn[/name_m].

But I’d love to meet a little [name_u]Ray[/name_u]! I think it’s more of a simple, no-nonsense down to earth yet masculine name.

Good luck

I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]!

Thank you all for your honest opinions, even the “unpopular” ones! I value all of the opinions! Keep them coming :slight_smile:

I’m from [name_u]Southern[/name_u] [name_u]California[/name_u] and [name_u]Ray[/name_u] gives me middle aged man vibes (just because I’ve met so many). Neither would have issues here, but I prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m].

I much prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m].