Raya

I’ve recently watched a movie called “Raya and the lost dragon” and fell in love with this name. I wonder what do you guys think about it? Is it too tied to a movie? How do you pronounce Raya?What spelling do you prefer?

Pronunciation
  • Rye-ah (like Eye)
  • Ray-ah (like Ray)

0 voters

Spelling
  • Raya
  • Raia

0 voters

Any middles that you can think of?

1 Like

The middle that i think sound good are-
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Lyanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] Maelin
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Ellina[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] Lelani
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Kennady[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Fatima[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] Taliya
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Inaya[/name_f]

hope this could help you!!

1 Like

I had a friend in high school named [name_f]Raya[/name_f] who pronounced it the same way as the character in the movie (like [name_f]Maya[/name_f] with an R). She was the first person I ever heard of the name. It was probably 50/50 whether teachers pronounced it correctly but they usually tried both ways. I wonder if that would be different now with the movie.

2 Likes

I would say it like the movie and I think that will be a lot of people’s defaults now because of it. The disney princess is my only association with the name but I don’t think it will become an [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], more like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] or [name_f]Belle[/name_f] as far as being my first thought but not too strong that they’ll get constant comments about it

I much prefer the [name_f]Raya[/name_f] spelling

I know a [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] said ray-a like ray rather than like [name_f]Maya[/name_f]

[name_f]Raya[/name_f] is bright and pretty

[name_f]Raya[/name_f] Luelle
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Raya[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]

I’m bummed the movie pronounced it Rye-uh cause I used to the love the name spelled like [name_f]Raya[/name_f] and pronounced like Ray-uh.

I’d be inclined to say [name_f]Raya[/name_f] as Ray-uh and [name_f]Raia[/name_f] as Rye-uh. But from my experiences with Mayas and Maias, I’d say and spell it however the person tells me (I’ve lost track of what pronunciation/spelling is supposed to be which). Personally I like [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] (Ray-uh) best.

1 Like