Real life Meet cute stories

I love hearing how couples met. [name_m]How[/name_m] did you and your SO meet? Or your parents, grandparents, or anyone else? [name_f]Share[/name_f] here.

My grandparents only knew each other 5 weeks before they married. This was very common during war time. He was shipping out to the Philippines, so they got married.

He was in the [name_u]Navy[/name_u] and stationed in [name_u]California[/name_u]. One of his buddies wanted to go see his girl (my grandmother’s older sister) & took my grandpa with him for the weekend. That’s how they met. They got married at the courthouse and had a small reception. She got pregnant on their honeymoon & called him overseas to tell him.

1 Like

My mom was 19 yrs old and taking out the trash at her job at McDonald’s when she first met my dad. He was 21 and still in his dirty work clothes from his job at a chemical plant and his buddies dared him to ask for her number. They were married 3 months later and have been together 40 years now. :blush:

11 Likes

My parents were set up on a blind date! They had a mutual friend who thought they would get along- sure enough, they did!

4 Likes

Some of my family members had a really cute story!

My aunt went on a high school trip to [name_f]Italy[/name_f] from the US. She was travelling with a group when she stopped to tie her shoe. Her group didn’t notice and left without her. She didn’t know how to get to the hotel, and she didn’t speak fluent Italian. She was starting to panic when she saw a boy with bright red hair that she recognized as another high schooler from a different state staying at the same hotel. She walked over to the group he was in and explained what had happened, and she ended up spending the rest of the day with him and his friends. That night, she reunited with the rest of her group.

The next day, she went sightseeing again and lost her group AGAIN. Ten minutes later, she spotted the red-headed boy again and had to explain what happened. They spent the rest of the day together again.

When they were about to go their separate ways, they agreed to become pen pals. A year later, he wrote to ask her to be his prom date. She flew to his state to go to the dance with him, and a few years later, they married.

They’re still married and have two kids.

9 Likes

Technically the first interaction I had with my boyfriend was after I saw a short play he’d written and went up to him afterwards to compliment it. What we consider how we met, however, was several months later.

My friends were working on a play he was in and told stories about him all the time so I wanted to get to know him so I could be in on the stories. He walked past us at lunch (this was in college) and my friends invited him to sit with us. He and I kept talking, even after my friends left, then met up with them again for [name_u]Midnight[/name_u] Breakfast on campus that night. We started off as a large group in a large crowd until eventually [name_m]Rob[/name_m] and I were the last two people in the entire place and got asked to leave so they could close down. Been dating over 5 years now.

6 Likes

My father dreamt about my mother for a year before they met. He and a best friend were travelling the country to raise funds for a feature film. During the trip, his best friend ran into my mother at her architecture firm. Told my dad later, “I met the woman you described to me from your dream.” [name_f]My[/name_f] dad somehow got her number, rang her up, and left a ridiculous message (not sure if answering machine or with someone), inviting her out. Anyway, my mum thought the funny message was from a coworker at her firm, or she’d never have returned the call. On the date, they hit it off instantly. Much to the dismay of my grandfather, my mum dropped everything, leaving her job and her apartment to move cross country, following my dad.

5 Likes

My partner is 5 years younger than I am.
[name_f]My[/name_f] partner and younger brother are best friends and attended private school together. One day my brother brought my partner home after school and apparently it was love at first sight for my partner when he seen me for the first time. I would just laugh it off as a crush kind of thing over the years, especially as I felt he was a lot younger than me at the time! We are talking me being 19 and him 13. [name_f]My[/name_f] bro would always tell my partner off for lusting after me lol… Anyway fast forward 5 years later I randomly bump into [name_m]Dan[/name_m] on a night out in town ( only this time he has really matured!) And has a stupid amount of confidence. He comes strutting up to me in my circle of friends and asks me for a kiss. He said I promised him a kiss on his 18th birthday… ( I really don’t remember this) but I laugh and tell him he has grown up a lot and that he will have to convince me some more of this story… The night draws on… Anyway come the end of the night I see [name_m]Dan[/name_m] again for a second time and he tells me he never forgot the promise… ( Well I am pretty tipsy at this point) but attracted to him and the minute we kissed I knew we were going to be partners for life. There was just a spark there and we still have it 8 years later.
Many, many dates later we are are still together and parents to two young boys. I’m still unsure whether I made that promise or not lol but his confidence paid off and I am glad I kissed him all the same :rofl:

3 Likes

My SO and I are so lucky to have a modern rom com meeting story.

We had both randomly moved to this small town in Australia about a year earlier. It’s actually quite a funky, hippie little town so it wasn’t totally weird that we were there but it has a very small population and we had a lot of mutual friends before we actually met!

I lived very close to the shops so I used to wake up early and wander into town to buy a coffee. I used to go to this one quite hipster cafe that had a lot of sun but for some reason that day I was out a little earlier so it wasn’t open yet. I had to walk down a little further to another cafe where all the tradies would get their coffees in the morning. It was about 7am!

I ordered my coffee and sat outside on a bench and started journaling. I noticed a man walk past but I didn’t look up, there were lots of people coming and going. But this dog stopped and sat with me and asked for pats so I was giving her attention. Then the man walked back out and laughed. She was his dog!

I literally looked at him and thought “there you are”. I gave him my number as he was on his way to work. He messaged me straight away and came round that afternoon to help with some gardening. I made him dinner and he played my favourite song on guitar (without knowing it was my favourite). We kissed that night and have been together ever since (3 years and now engaged).

3 Likes

This is the craziest story ever!! I’m not sure if this is a myth, but they say you only dream about faces you’ve seen before, so he could have seen her one day and his brain processed that they were soulmates? [name_m]How[/name_m] romantic!

3 Likes

My dad is an epic story teller. It can get a bit Big [name_m]Fish[/name_m], if you’ve seen that film. But, importantly, including the ending, which I won’t spoil.

My skeptical mind interprets the story this way - he describes dream to friend, friend sees girl who meets general description, Dad meets her later and either the memory of the dream is malleable or hazy. [name_f]My[/name_f] Dad is convinced, and convincing, that it was exactly her.

5 Likes

Big [name_m]Fish[/name_m] is a fantastic movie, but I understand what you mean about a healthy bit of skepticism.

2 Likes

Hahaha, awesome. Ignorance is bliss, I’m gonna believe the god-ordained, romantic version :)))

2 Likes

I have a story to tell here !

So I had been sort of crushing on someone in my friend group and on the evening of my 19th birthday his feelings for me seemed mutual. That night however, he started openly flirting with another girl in our group. I left, upset, and he came by to my room. I’d never been very close to a guy before and he got up so close to me that I thought he was going to kiss me. He convined me to come back out of my room that evening so I did… and then he continued to behave as he did before. I left for good after that and had a real cry about it that night. I was very upset as I hadn’t really been a situation like that before. But for a long time I had been learning my self-worth and what it was that I was truly looking for in a guy. I knew that his behaviour toward me was a sure sign that he was NOT IT. I totally cut him off as a potential significant other.

A week and two days later I met the love of my life, my soulmate.

P.S. Might I add, the crush I had on the guy before was a crush that existed because I wanted to be him. It wasn’t really about him at all - it was about me. He was confident and funny and popular and those were all the things I thought I wasn’t. What I thought was a crush, was really an illusion.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this was a bit of inspiration for you all. :wink:

5 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandpa worked at a little amusement park while in high school. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandma was babysitting and took the child there. This is how they officially met, but they went to school together. So they started dating.

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandpa was the guy that would cut class and then ace the test. It was the 50s and he and his squad were the bad boys of the school (think [name_u]Danny[/name_u] and his guys from Grease). They drove fast cars, wore leather jackets and rolled up cigarettes in the sleeve of their white tshirts. People moved out of their way when they walked around campus.

They went to senior prom together and she showed off her engagement ring. But, she said she wouldn’t marry him if he kept cutting class!

They were married until her death last year, two months short of their 65th wedding anniversary.

6 Likes

Not mine yet but my grandfather’s cousin and her family were regular churchgoers, so she met her husband when bellringing at the age of 13. They had been married for over 60 years before he sadly passed away last year.

My grandparents met on a cruise ship because my grandma wanted to know where the refreshments were and my grandad guided her. They were married until she sadly passed away after a battle with cancer in her early 60s.
[name_f]My[/name_f] parents were more boring - they met at a house party, lol.

1 Like

My sister met her husband on a cruise

I met my SO in a book store in the town where we both lived. I was looking at a copy of [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] by [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Joyce[/name_u], he noticed and started talking to me about it because it was one of his favorite books. At the time I just got engaged to my now ex-husband, so I wasn’t looking for a boyfriend. I didn’t even think he was that attractive :joy: But he enjoyed our conversation in the book store a lot, as did I, so he asked for my number and we met up for coffee the next week. I was very clear to him that I only wanted to be friends and he said he wanted the same thing. We became very good friends.
Then when I got divorced he was very supportive and helped me out with a few practical things, like moving into my new house and looking after my son. One thing led to another.
He later told me that he was attracted to me from the moment he saw me, but quickly realized he didn’t stand a chance. He was perfectly happy being friends, it’s not like he was pining for me all the time until we got together, but he always had a soft spot for me (as he likes to say it).

8 Likes

Ahh, a bookstore meet cute and a friends to more story! The romantic in me is dying :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

My parents were in the same high school social studies class. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad geeked out over some history fact and my mom was smitten.

My family friend uncle was my dad’s best man and ended up marrying one of my mom’s bridesmaids! They had met a couple of times before the wedding but they call that their meet cute.

My cousin was stage manager for his colleges theater group and his now wife was one of the actresses. They’re super cute together and definitely some of my favorite cousins.

3 Likes

My grandpa’s friend was married to my grandma’s cousin. They decided that my grandparents would get along nicely (guess they were right!). So they went on a blind date, and the couple who set them up went too. It was a short road trip, but they were somehow all stuck in traffic for many hours. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandparents hit it off and started dating. After less than a year, they were married! They are still the loves of each other’s lives after 50 years (51 this [name_f]October[/name_f]!).

6 Likes