Rebekah & Renee: Firsts, or Middles?

Would you even consider using either of these in the FN spot, or are they the “too-dated-MN-spot-only” kinda names?

I wouldn’t use either of them, sorry. [name]Rebekah[/name] is very popular in the area where I live, and it’s usually accompanied by the nickname [name]Becca[/name]. I hear it so often during roll call that the name has lost it’s appeal. Plus, I dislike the [name]Rebekah[/name] spelling. If I were to use the name, I would spell it the classic [name]Rebecca[/name].
[name]Renee[/name] isn’t as used around here, but it seems very 1970’s-1980’s. Neither are my style.

I hope I wasn’t too harsh!

• [name]Athena[/name]

I would use [name]Rebekah[/name] as a middle name for sure, but [name]Renee[/name] is just too dated for me.

I have never heard of anyone with the middle name [name]Rebecca[/name]/[name]Rebekah[/name] so yes I think that works as an fn, but I would spell it [name]Rebecca[/name]. It looks much cleaner. It’s a biblical classic and I think its a nice first name.

[name]Renee[/name] is not my style. It sounds dated and too pretentious. It reminds me of my elementary school music teacher, mean and snarky.

[name]Rebekah[/name] is a Biblical name and I like it. It’s neither my most favourite Biblical name nor a contender for one I find the most dated. It neither is “weird Bible” like, say, [name]Tirzah[/name]/[name]Yael[/name]/[name]Kezia[/name] (which are names I like but are a lot to wear) nor as popular as [name]Abigail[/name]/[name]Hannah[/name] are at the moment nor as mom-ish as [name]Deborah[/name] and [name]Judith[/name].

And I actually will come out swinging in defense of [name]Deborah[/name]/[name]Judith[/name] but they have a pretty thick '50s [name]Debbie[/name]/[name]Judy[/name] feel at this point.

[name]Renee[/name] is a bit difficult, it would be handy in my family if I liked it more than I do.

I love them both! I would probably use both as MNs, though–firstly, my sister is [name]Rebecca[/name], so I just don’t think [name]Rebecca[/name] as a FN is very usable for me. But I just like [name]Rebecca[/name] as a MN more, anyway. But I really, really adore it. :slight_smile: I’ve had a thing for [name]Renee[/name] for a while, too, and would love to see it used. I think both would be great first names, although I’d use them in the MN, personally. :slight_smile:

As for the [name]Rebekah[/name]/[name]Rebecca[/name] spellings, it’s a Hebrew name, coming from [name]Rivka/name, I believe, and it came from Hebrew characters, so I don’t really think [name]Rebekah[/name] or [name]Rebecca[/name] is more classic than the other. [name]Rebekah[/name] was used in the Bible, but [name]Rebecca[/name] seems to “look” more classic. I have to say I prefer [name]Rebecca[/name], it just looks softer, but I don’t have a problem with [name]Rebekah[/name].

I have an ex-boyfriend named [name]Ren[/name]é, so the name is ruined for me … but at one point in my life, I would’ve used [name]Ren[/name]ée for a first name or a middle name. [name]Rebekah[/name] (with the spelling [name]Rebecca[/name]) is a name I’ve considered for first name spot. They’re both pretty names … I don’t think I would use either one of them now.

Our 4 year old is named [name]Renee[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]. I didn’t like it at first but I love the meaning and love that she is the only little [name]Renee[/name] around. We get lots of compliments on her name, which surprises me. She’s a firecracker and a comedian, that girl, so I guess I now view the name as spunky.

I’m a [name]Renee[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]. Despite people thinking it’s very '70s or '80s, it actually capped in popularity in the late '60s and by the time of my birth in late '84 was pretty unheard of. Since then it seems a very popular middle name, and like [name]Marie[/name] I think it would look really nice up front. When someone brings up the name, someone always brings up that it’s pretentious somehow, which I really don’t get. My name has served me well.

[name]Rebekah[/name] with this name makes me think you might have a Jewish lineage or very [name]Christian[/name], while [name]Rebecca[/name] just makes me think of a regular American kid. That being said, I’m fond of [name]Rebekah[/name] and [name]Rebecca[/name]. [name]Both[/name] spellings are less common than in the past than [name]Deborah[/name] or [name]Susan[/name]. It really doesn’t feel that dated to me. I’d like to see it as a first name.

So both are good first names and I’d prefer to see them as first names rather than middle.

I actually really like [name]Rebekah[/name]. I’d only spell it this way as a middle name, if I were using it as a fn I would go with [name]Rebecca[/name] though. Mainly because she would constantly have to correct people and that would get old.

As for [name]Renee[/name]. I can take it or leave it.

I love [name]Renee[/name] as a middle name. It is most likely what my first daughter’s middle name would be. It may be a little dated, but it is my mom’s middle name and she is my best friend on top of being my mom so it’s got all these wonderful happy feelings associated with it.

[name]One[/name] of my dearest friend’s is named [name]Rebekah[/name] and she constantly had to correct the spelling. As much as I love her, I don’t care for her name and she doesn’t either. Her middle name is [name]Kate[/name] and she has told me she really wishes her parents had gone with that as a fn. For me the [name]Rebekah[/name] spelling is more classic, but I like the look of the [name]Rebecca[/name] spelling. It looks softer and less harsh.

I actually love [name]Rebecca[/name]/[name]Rebekah[/name], but I’ve ruled it out as a fn because I hate [name]Becky[/name] and [name]Becca[/name]. As far as it being dated, I think the [name]Rebekah[/name] spelling feels dated while [name]Rebecca[/name] feels classic. I know that sounds silly, because [name]Rebekah[/name] is biblical, but I that with a lot of names that we popular in a certain decade. This is because that’s the only time the alternate spelling was ever popular ([name]Rachael[/name], [name]Kara[/name]), so the alternate spelling becomes associated with that era.

As the mother of a [name]Rebecca[/name], I want to point out that the spelling “[name]Rebecca[/name]” is both classic AND Biblical. The ancient Latin Vulgate version of the Bible from the 4th Century used the spelling “[name]Rebecca[/name]” exclusively. When the Bible was translated into English in the 1600s, the translators used the spelling “[name]Rebekah[/name]” in the Old Testament, and “[name]Rebecca[/name]” in the New Testament (see Romans 9:10). So, [name]Rebecca[/name] was the older Biblical spelling, but both are in the original English Bible.