Recently Discovered A New Name (new to me)

I thought I had made up the name Isalena (pro “ee-sah-len-uh”), which I love because it would honor 3 people in my family ([name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_u]Lisa[/name_u], and [name_u]Glenn[/name_u]- it’s a combination of their names).

Then I discovered that it is actually a Dutch name pronounced “ee-sah-lee-uh”. Pronouncing it this way isn’t an option, since it takes away from the “len” part. Does anyone know if it is ever pronounced the way I say it?

[name_f]My[/name_f] other option is to spell it Isalenna (“ee-sah-len-nuh”) but I’m not sure I like that spelling as much.

What do you think? Any comment or help is much appreciated. Thank you.

What about Isalena with the correct pronunciation and using the middle name to honor [name_u]Glenn[/name_u]? You could do Isalena [name_u]Glenn[/name_u], or even Isalena [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]?

I think you will get a lot of people pronouncing it Is-uh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-nuh. Like a combination of [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] et all and [name_f]Lena[/name_f], like [name_f]Lena[/name_f] [name_m]Dunham[/name_m]. I think I like it as Is-uh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-nuh better than your pronunciation. The honoring could still be there. I think it will have you correcting people all the time as it is not intuitive to some pronouncing it ee-sah-len-nuh.

I love this name, never heard of it! I personally like the pronounciation like this: Is-ah-lee-nah - so classy, unique, and beautiful!

“ee-sah-len-uh” is what I hear in my head when I see Isalena written down ("[name_f]Lena[/name_f]" in Polish is "[name_m]Len[/name_m]-uh), but actually I like “ee-sah-lee-uh” better. As for the spelling, I prefer Isalena to Isalenna.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]. Thanks for the suggestion but this won’t work because we are going to use my husband’s gma’s name as a middle name. :slight_smile:

Well I’m Dutch and I’ve never even heard of this name, but it does sound like it could be an actual name, like there’s these [name_u]Isa[/name_u]-something smoosh names around here (Isalinde, Isaluna, Isanne) so Isalena would fit right in. We’d pronounce it ee-sah-[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-nah though.

I would keep it the first way and same with the pronunciation! I think it is a wonderful name and indeed it does incorporate all 4 names! :slight_smile:

I never heard of it before either, but I love it. So much nicer than [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

Melusine - That is good to know. Thank you for the info. My source may have been misinformed but I can’t remember which baby names site I read it on now because I had just googled the name. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone else too for the comments. I am reading and considering everything carefully.

I like Isalena and while I would say EEN-ah and I’m guessing the majority of others would too, I think you could definitely get away with [name_m]LEN[/name_m]-ah…you just might have to correct people a fair bit.

I definitely prefer Isalena to Isalenna - the latter takes away the romance and class of the name and makes it feel much more trendy for me.