Recommend a boy name!

I’ve been thinking more about it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think Theorem could work as a name too? [name_u]Or[/name_u] is that one too commonly known as just a word?

Yes! I love [name_m]Fabian[/name_m] but it never gets a very good reception, no idea why!

Rafa! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think it fits with the short nickname names that are in fashion in some countries right now. I also notice more and more people liking softer boy names, with a less strictly masculine feel. The Spanish vibe might also add to its appeal as well as the lovely meaning: ‘to heal’.

7 Likes

I don’t think Theorem or [name_m]Axiom[/name_m] are good names at all. Unless you are a real math nerd and you know your kid will really enjoy this association, but how could you know that? However, I did major in math & physics so I’ve seen them a lot in context. Another thing is that theorems and axioms get named for people just like Pythagoras’ theorem…

2 Likes

One of my faves :heart_eyes: It’s just slightly too close to my beloved [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] to make the shortlist, but I think it’s gorgeous.

1 Like

Walden

I’m surprised there aren’t more Waldens out there, considering the popularity of [name_m]Thoreau[/name_m] and [name_m]Walden[/name_m] Pond and nature.

I love the nns [name_u]Wally[/name_u] and [name_m]Den[/name_m] and [name_u]Denny[/name_u] and I love the nature associations of the name. It’s a nice way to get to the -en ending without the name sounding made up.

7 Likes

I feel like Theorem is more well-known to the general public than [name_m]Axiom[/name_m] because everyone is familiar with the word theory (I say this as a person with average knowledge and understanding of mathematics, not sure what it’s like from ‘the inside’ so to speak). It sounds cool and looks like a name in theory (pun not intended :wink: ) I think there would also be the issue of it inevitably getting shortened to [name_u]Theo[/name_u], and then people assuming 24/7 that he is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].

My little sister has a name that sounds very similar to a popular name but is different. When she tries to explain that she isn’t ~insert popular name here~ people have a really hard time getting their heads around it for some reason. And her name is an actual, reasonably familiar name. I can imagine Theorem would have this issue but worse.

2 Likes

Tarquin

I love this name. It is easy to spell and say and has a heroic quality.

I like the nn Tarq or Tark and there’s [name_u]Quin[/name_u] or [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] as a nn, though those aren’t my favorites.

I think of a dashing, good-looking, sophisticated man, but I also think of an adventuresome, lively boy.

6 Likes

Tarquin is soo dreamy. It makes me think of great fantasy adventures over a treacherous land… :mountain: :leaves: :crossed_swords:

2 Likes

Yes, exactly!

Ambrose - LOVE and feels so soft yet strong! I personally think [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] can be a cute nickname on a boy but have the benefit of meeting a very charming male [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] who modeled this to me; before meeting him, I think I would have balked at the idea but now [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] nn “[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]” sounds dreamy!

13 Likes

Ornette

The name of a famous musician and a cool word/name.

I love [name_u]Orrie[/name_u] as a nickname, have ever since first reading the [name_m]Nero[/name_m] [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m] mysteries in my 20’s.

To me it is a decorative name, I guess because it sounds a bit like ornate.

Male name (in my mind anyway).

2 Likes

Saxo! It’s such a handsome and cool name. It means dagger or sword, and it’s not on the site! @Katinka could you please add this awesome name to the database? :blush:

3 Likes

So I’ve actually found two names recently which I thought don’t get much lime light at the moment. First one is Ellion/Elian which is quite similar to [name_u]Elias[/name_u] but with different origins and meanings. The other is [name_m]Otis[/name_m] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: this name especially gives me the same vibes as [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m] - so so so adorable!

2 Likes

This is so underappreciated but gorgeous! And I love [name_m]Otis[/name_m] and [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m] too :heart_eyes: Definitely cuddly, wholesome names. [name_m]Chester[/name_m] gives me similar vibes and is seriously underused in the US.

And [name_m]Rufus[/name_m]! [name_f]Adore[/name_f] that name too.

1 Like

Douglas is my #1 favourite name for a boy! I’m so glad you like it too :grin: I love the nn [name_m]Dougie[/name_m] as well. So sweet & handsome at the same time!

2 Likes

Most seem to hate [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], so I’d glad to meet fellow [name_m]Dougie[/name_m] lover!

2 Likes

Gus! It’s what I would have been named if I were a boy, and so I’ve always had a soft spot for it. With older names coming back into fashion, I think it’s ready for a revival. Although personally I’ve never thought of it as an old man name. I think it’s perfect for all ages, and it’s a great nickname, but I love it best on its own.

1 Like

Crowley! It’s a cute name that could work on a child or an adult. It has that dashing, Scottish-forest vibe and such a wonderful sound. This name should definitely be used more.

4 Likes

Aloysius. Such a handsome, whimsical and amazing name! It also has the incredible meaning “famous warrior”. It’s one of my favorite names :grin:

7 Likes