Recommend a boy name!

Aloysius. Such a handsome, whimsical and amazing name! It also has the incredible meaning “famous warrior”. It’s one of my favorite names :grin:

5 Likes

Gardener. Such a beautiful meaning, sound, and look. I love [name_u]Gardie[/name_u] and [name_m]Den[/name_m] as nns. It is a [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_f]England[/name_f] classic but sounds fresh and green. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thinking about [name_m]Digby[/name_m]! Perhaps sort of in your vein, @katkabet?

2 Likes

hmmm maybe!! ive never thought about it before haha

1 Like

This is my dad’s middle name! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s awesome!

Ransom! I used it for my first son, so I’m doing my bit :slightly_smiling_face: I wouldn’t say it needs to transcend the piratical image its Nameberry entry describes, because I know [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] has that side, but he has other facets too. [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] first went on my list after I read C.S. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]’s Space Trilogy, with ([name_m]Elwin[/name_m]) [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] as the protagonist. He’s a sort of [name_m]Christ[/name_m] figure in the 2nd and 3rd books, so for Christians there’s that reference plus the idea that [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] is our ransom.
There’s also [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] [name_m]Stewart[/name_m]’s character in the movie The [name_m]Man[/name_m] Who Shot [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] Valance, another cool reference. He goes by [name_m]Rance[/name_m]. One of my brothers also suggested [name_u]Randy[/name_u] as a nn for [name_m]Ransom[/name_m], which we don’t use but I thought was a great idea for something “normal,” at least here in the US.
It’s also not only an [name_f]English[/name_f] word name, but a Germanic patronymic surname, a contraction of “Ranulf’s/Randolph’s son” (which is probably why it made the Top 1000 briefly years ago.) The “[name_m]Ran[/name_m]” syllable means “shield,” so the name could also carry the idea of protection.

5 Likes