Remus?

What are your opinions on Remus?

Do you like the name? Do you think it’s usable?

Is it too tied to Harry Potter? If you met a Remus, would you think the parents were Harry Potter fans?

Thanks for all opinions :slightly_smiling_face:

PS. I know about the controversial character but nobody knows it where I am so I think that connection would never be made.

edit: Should it be pronounced Ree-mus or Ray-mus?

1 Like

I don’t know anything about HP so it’s totally usable to me! nn [name_u]Remi[/name_u]? Sooo cute!

1 Like

I love the name, and the historical associations with the legend of [name_m]Romulus[/name_m] and [name_m]Remus[/name_m], the twins cared for by a wolf who became founders of ancient [name_u]Rome[/name_u]! But I do think of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and the uncle R character, which is a bummer…the HP association somehow overshadows the much older antiquity associations.

BUT if some brave people started using this name, maybe HP would no longer dominate the vibes? I’d be excited to meet a young [name_m]Remus[/name_m], and think the association would probably start to fade if I knew a real kid with the name! But I’d hesitate to use it myself, if that makes sense

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was [name_m]Romulus[/name_m] and [name_m]Remus[/name_m]. I think it’s a very accessible name with its similarity to the popular [name_u]Remy[/name_u]. I completely forgot about the HP association but now that you brought it up, ugh… HP associations are so hard to shake! I still think [name_m]Remus[/name_m] could work.

1 Like

I think it’s a really great name but would probably assume the parents had chosen it because of HP. I’m not personally a fan any more but I used to love that character which has possibly influenced me liking the name so much. I don’t know of any other controversial character, would have to look that one up.

I really second this as I think this is exactly what has happened with Luna! Would be great if it could come back in its own right.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of HP either so the only thing I’d worry about is that people would assume that’s why I named my son [name_m]Remus[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] main reference for [name_m]Remus[/name_m] is the [name_m]Romulus[/name_m] and [name_m]Remus[/name_m] story of how ancient [name_u]Rome[/name_u] was founded. That’s where I first encountered this name. There’s also a menswear brand where I live called [name_m]Remus[/name_m] Uomo.

I’m aware of the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character but at the same time it’s not my only association. Would I assume a young [name_m]Remus[/name_m] was named after HP? Not necessarily.

Ree-mus is the only pronunciation I’ve heard in [name_f]English[/name_f]. Other cultures probably pronounce it more like Reh-mus or Ray-mus.

To be honest, the sound of this name does not really appeal to me but if it’s meaningful for you, I think it’s fine.

I do really enjoy the name [name_m]Remus[/name_m]. It has a pleasant sound and an interesting look - gentle but cool.

I do associate it with HP and would wonder if the parents were fans, but I probably wouldn’t ask or mention it. I know of someone who has a son called [name_m]Remus[/name_m] and I can easily separate the kid [name_m]Remus[/name_m] from HP vibes…

I’ve only heard it pn Ree-mus and that would be my instinct

Honestly, yes and yes.

I do think it’s a lovely name, but to me it’s inseparable from Harry Potter and will be for a while.

It is unusable? To me, yes. But I wouldn’t begrudge someone else for using it. It’s a cool name, and whether or not the pop culture association is an issue is up to you. There are much worse characters a name could be tied to.

(I do think the origins and mythology of the name are interesting; I just don’t think it’s enough to shake the pop culture association.)

I think it’s usable but I definitely have the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association. That said, I don’t think everyone would have that association. It’s not like [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], for example. I would pronounce it Ree-mus.

I think [name_m]Remus[/name_m] is a cool name. The HP association wouldn’t bother me, and I’m not sure how strong it actually is. I feel like most casual book/film fans just know the character as [name_u]Lupin[/name_u]. The Uncle [name_m]Remus[/name_m] ties are what would give me pause, but that’s just because of where I live.

I actually know a little [name_m]Remus[/name_m], he’s the same age as my oldest son (7). I think it’s perfectly wearable. It’s unexpected, but not weird or overly complicated. They pronounce it ray-mus, which feels instinctive enough to me, but my first thought would be reh-mus or reh-moos.

I’ve never read HP or seen the movies, so that’s definitely not an association I have. I’m not sure how obvious that connection would be to most people. I often feel like here on NB we overestimate how big an association is because this forum serves a specific demographic, but out there in the “real world” most people just don’t know about it.

In general I think [name_m]Remus[/name_m] is a nice name that deserves more love.

I’ve never seen or read [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is Uncle [name_m]Remus[/name_m] of the Br’er Rabbit stories.