Remy Steele? Is the TV Show Connection Too Much?

Alright, so, I’ve never seen [name_u]Remington[/name_u] [name_u]Steele[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO is 10 years older than I am and when I suggested [name_u]Remy[/name_u], he said, “Our last name is [name_u]Steele[/name_u].” I promise, I just blinked at him, confused. I had to look the show up. It’s literally not something anyone in my family even watched. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents love the name [name_u]Remy[/name_u] (my Dad is a big X-Men fan…) and say that most people don’t even think of that show anymore.

I need your opinions, guys! Would you chuckle a little if you met a little boy named [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Steele[/name_u] because of the old TV show? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think people even recognize that show anymore? Thank you so much ahead of time!

It did sound familiar, but I couldn’t place it until you said something. And even then I’ve never seen it, just heard of it. I don’t think the connection is that strong anymore, especially not with kids he’ll grow up with.

1 Like

I made the connection as soon as I read “[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Steele[/name_u]” in your post title. (If it matters, I’m 30, and I’ve seen maybe five minutes of the show.) I think some other adults and relatives may get a laugh, but the kids in his class will have no idea.

ETA: And for what it’s worth, I think [name_u]Remy[/name_u] goes well with your kiddos’ names!

Thank you! [name_u]Remy[/name_u] doesn’t necessarily have the same meaning vibe as my two older boys, but my SO is a huge fishermen and during this pregnancy, he’s actually been fishing for the first time in nearly 5 years because life has finally slowed down a little. Seeing as how he’s been fishing from a kayak, he’s definitely an “oarsmen” these days!

I’m nearly 30 and I’d heard the name before, but had no idea what it was, haha. I think that enough teachers are closer to my age (or even younger), especially in my area, and they may not make the connection either unless their families really dig police shows. [name_f]My[/name_f] ex husband is a huge military/police guy and he’d never seen it either. Maybe that bodes well?

I’ve heard of Remington Steele but never seen the show, as far as I know.
I didn’t make the connection when I first read Remy Steele. Although, I’m in my early 20s so I imagine those my age and younger would be unaware of the reference, since it’s before our time

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that reference before, so it wouldn’t phase me one bit if I met a [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Steele[/name_u]! I doubt anyone your son’s age would know it, so it isn’t like he’d be bullied for it. However, if your husband can’t move past the association, I don’t think you should use it.

I definitely thought of [name_u]Remington[/name_u] [name_u]Steele[/name_u], and I’m 25 :grimacing: I don’t know if it’d be that widespread of an association, but I agree that if your husband can’t move past it, it’s not a good idea imo.

@may.rose @leafsgirl44 I don’t think it was something he “couldn’t get over” or anything like that, he was just like, “Hey, remember that’s a thing.” Huh? It is? Hahaha, I still have quite a while and a lot of other options, but I can’t get over how cute [name_u]Remy[/name_u] is. I’d love to meet a little [name_u]Remy[/name_u]…

1 Like

I’m in my early 20s, and thought of [name_u]Remington[/name_u] [name_u]Steele[/name_u] as soon as I saw “[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Steele[/name_u].” I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen it, but the association was still there.
However, I think that connection is probably fading, and kids his age most likely won’t know the show.
[name_u]Remy[/name_u] is sweet! I had a friend growing up with that name. I think that if you don’t mind some references to it, you should definitely continue to consider it!

Thank you all so much for your responses!