Renaming characters for third time

So, I have two characters that I have now renamed twice, and I just can’t find names that feel right to me. I wanted to stick with specific initials, but I wonder if that is perhaps too strict?

Character #1 is a 23 year old female. Very short, redhead, empathetic, intuitive, uses humor as a defense mechanism, doesn’t know what to do in life because she wants to do everything, hopelessly in love with character #2, she hopes that he doesn’t know it but he probably does because subtlety is not one of her strengths. Surname is Walsh.
Her name was Veronica, then Victoria. Neither one feels right to me. Other choices were Valerie, Vienna, Vanessa, and Valena.

Character #2 is a 37 year old male. Half Mexican on mother’s side. Funny, strong build but not overtly muscular, kind, masks shyness by pretending to be an extrovert, generally welcoming and friendly personality. Head over heels for character #1 but doesn’t want to admit it because he’s afraid that it will make him just like his dad. Surname is Winter.
His name was Jonah, then Joseph. Other choices were, Judah, Josiah, Jethro, and Jody.

Am I being too strict with the V & J initials, or are other names on my list just better suited to these characters? Do you have other name suggestions for these characters?

I like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] a lot for #1. Both seem to fit her personality and appearance. I could also see her as a [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] ‘Viv’ or a [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] (particularly with the nn [name_f]Ginny[/name_f], though a redheaded [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] does seem very [name_u]Harry[/name_u] Potter-esque to me.) I don’t think a V name is too restricting, though I can also see a few H names like [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], or [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] fitting her.

For #2, I think [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] fits him. As for other J names, I can see him as a [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], or [name_u]Jack[/name_u] as well. For non J names, maybe [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_u]David[/name_u], or [name_u]Cody[/name_u]?

Do you think it would still be Harry Potter-esque if she went by Gin instead of Ginny?
Also, I’m not a huge fan of Cody, but do you think Casey would work?

1 Like

I don’t think [name_f]Gin[/name_f] would be too [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]! Especially when [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] is the first name rather than [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f].

And I do think [name_u]Casey[/name_u] works!

Thank you so much for your perspective! I definitely like the vibes of Gin and Casey, I’m gonna keep thinking on it.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Valerie[/name_f]. I like the red vibe it gives. The name itself means strong and brave (valiant). I see that in a red-headed character. Not be stereotypical or anything. [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] [name_m]Walsh[/name_m] sounds nice.
The boy I like [name_u]Jonah[/name_u]. [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] sounds nice to me.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts. I was leaning towards Valerie, as far as V names. I’m also now thinking about Virginia, Georgenia, and Eugenia.

For character 1 I really like [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gin[/name_f], [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgenia[/name_f]!

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Violetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeva[/name_f]
[name_f]Heather[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]

I love [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] and [name_u]Julian[/name_u] for character 2!

[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Caledon[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_u]Daniel[/name_u]
[name_m]Diego[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicolas[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Chase[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]

1 Like

Thank you, I like a lot of these suggestions. I added Heather, Jesse, Julian, Daniel, and Diego to my list.

Do you guys think that Gin would still work as a nn for Georgenia or Eugenia?