Renaming Myself, Need Advice

My name has never really felt like my own. When people call me by my name, [name]Olivia[/name], it never feels as though I’m the one they’re calling. When I was younger I begged my parents to change my name, but my mother wouldn’t hear of it. Her mother (who passed away) is the one who chose my name and my entire name is a homage to her, so to my mom changing my name was never an option, but I’ve finally made my mind up to do it myself.
The name has been bothering me more and more as time goes on; I can’t go to a grocery store without hearing a parent calling their three year old [name]Olivia[/name].
My last name is Neale, so any name I take on can’t end in an N.

Names I like but am not completely sold on:
Harper --I really like this one, would love any suggestions like it. Am wondering what it would sound like in an English accent, as I will be spending some time in England.
Audrey
Romy

I want something unique but not something overly feminine; I’m a bit of a tomboy.
My middle name will be Anne, and I’d prefer more than

What do you all think? Any suggestions?

Perhaps you could shorten it to [name]Olive[/name]?
[name]Do[/name] you get called [name]Livvy[/name]?
[name]Eliza[/name] is similar sounding too [name]Olivia[/name] and has a nn [name]Lizzy[/name]. Which would feel familiar yet different.
I wonder if it is the fact that the name was chosen under sad circumstances that makes it feel incomfortable?
[name]Do[/name] you like your middle name? Is that an option?
[name]How[/name] does your mum feel about you wanting to change your name? [name]How[/name] will she react?
I would stick with [name]Neale[/name]- seems too far a leap to change everything.
Another idea: add a new middle name and then use that name.
Did you have any type of feel you want for yourself? Classic? popular? unusual? unique?

emiliaj

I do like [name]Olive[/name] but I feel as though it falls a little flat for me. Also, you’re definitely right; the name has always felt like a weight on my shoulders, like this big expectation.
Most of my friends call me [name]Liv[/name], but are all very supportive of a name change. My father thinks it’s my choice. As for my mom, she thinks it’s silly and doesn’t take me seriously.
In a name I’d like something unique. Examples of names I like (but not for myself) would be [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Rosetta[/name].

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your name. I think it is special that your mother honoured her mother by naming you Olivia.

I also think it is a very glamorous name. I think Neale is a lovely surname and I would definitely keep it.

Now if we are going to suggest some names for you we need to find out what kind of names appeal to you the most.

Do you like frilly names, short names, unisex names, traditional names, classic names?

I think Olivia is a frilly name, short name Naomi, unisex Bellamy, traditional Clare, classic Elizabeth.

rollo

PS Looks like we posted at the same time!

Some ideas

[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Marianna[/name]
[name]Colette[/name]
[name]Yolanda[/name]
[name]Jacinta[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name] nn [name]Lilah[/name]/[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Alessandra[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Sabina[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name] nn [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Teal[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name]

rollo

[name]Olivia[/name];
I have a great friend in [name]Italy[/name] called [name]Livia[/name], that’s just so classy and different. [name]Ofra[/name] -that’s deer in Hebrew or Maayan - spring another way to go with very different unisexnames.
I truly understand how you feel; I changed my name as a teenager. Beware of the trendy ‘different’’ name, I chose one and now years later it’s the trashiest name ever. Think Kardashians…So go with simple and elegant.

So now I’ve decided to change my first name again. I was thinking of [name]Marianna[/name], something untrendy & classy. Any suggestions along this line I’d be grateful for.
corrie

If you want a familiar sort of sound, [name]Lydia[/name] is similar, but much less popular. So do [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Elva[/name] (I actually know a girl with this name!), which can yield the nn [name]Liv[/name].

But if you really want a name that’s unlike [name]Olivia[/name], here goes…
Strong, masculine-rooted names like [name]Harper[/name]: [name]Lennox[/name], [name]Pepper[/name]/[name]Piper[/name]/[name]Fifer[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Romy[/name], Hathaway, [name]Murphy[/name], [name]Miller[/name]
Classy & classic, sturdy names like [name]Audrey[/name]: [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Ellinor[/name], [name]Katharine[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Marion[/name], [name]Eliza[/name]
Expressive, trend-setting names like [name]Indigo[/name]: [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Promise[/name], [name]Calypso[/name], [name]Clio[/name], [name]Evadne[/name], [name]Araminta[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Remember[/name]

I’d at least keep [name]Olivia[/name] in the middle, though, to continue honoring your grandmother. Or, you could consider looking into variations or names with similar sounds to hers that you like?
Also, another plus about [name]Olivia[/name] becoming popular now is that people may automatically assume that you’re younger in later years - it couldn’t hurt when you’re a forty year-old pretending to be thirty. (:

NameGoddess

Aww that’s such a cute story! :slight_smile: But your name belongs to you and you shouldn’t feel a burden to bare a name which you dislike. My name is also modern, trendy and I dislike it greatly. I know what you mean by expectations to live up to a name! I’m planning on changing my name this [name]Summer[/name] :smiley:
Livianna is cute which you could consider.
I’m considering changing my name to [name]Sadie[/name] it’s kind of spunky, cute with that old fashioned themed to it :smiley:

Has anyone ever told you you ‘look’ like a certain name? For instance, my first name is [name]Leslie[/name]. However, I’ve been told I look like a [name]Rachael[/name], a [name]Zadie[/name], etc. by different people. Something I find fun is to ask someone what they might guess your name would be if they did not know you. And if they don’t know your name, that can be even more revealing, in my opinion! If you’re not a very shy person, you could try to get unbiased/fresh opinions on what name a bunch of random people think you embody or ‘look like’. A way you might accomplish in a safe sort of manner may be to bring a notebook & a friend with you to the mall or a park, say, and tell the people you ask that it is for a project (which it is!). Write down their responses; you might be quite surprised! It’s just an idea, but it may give you a lot of direction/inspiration at least!

Hello! I’m also changing my own name. :smiley: I know what you’re going through, my mother will not hear of me changing my name. Which is ridiculous because she’s gone by 3 other names in her life besides her legal one. So…
Anyways.

[name]Harper[/name] [name]Neale[/name] is lovely! If you want to know what it’ll sound like, just google for videos of [name]Victoria[/name] and [name]David[/name] [name]Beckham[/name] talking about their own daughter [name]Harper[/name]. Then you can get a feel.
When I put on a fake one, it sounds like Hah-pehr.

[name]Audrey[/name] [name]Neale[/name] is lovely too! I really like this, because [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Anne[/name] [name]Neale[/name] spells out AAN. Which is close to [name]ANN[/name].

[name]Romy[/name] is a boys name or a nickname to me, so I’m not to keen on this one myself.

Suggestions:
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Romilda[/name]
[name]Harley[/name]
[name]Hailey[/name]

And I think a name ending with n would be fine with [name]Neale[/name]. [name]Haven[/name] [name]Neale[/name] for example.
[name]Feel[/name] free to message me anytime about your renaming journey. :slight_smile:

I completely back you up on this, I actually plan on changing my ln and adding a mn when I’m older so I’m sort of in the same boat although I like my name.

I think [name]Harper[/name] [name]Neale[/name] is beautiful! Are you at all influenced by the literary background of the name or do you just like the sound? [name]How[/name] masculine do you think you could go? I think [name]Thomas[/name] is gorgeous on a girl, but most think I’m crazy so I want to know how far off the unisex deep-end I can go haha Also, do you like greek/latin mythos names? They’re some of my favourites!

[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Remy[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]

Good luck!

I have a friend who has changed his name… multiple times. The problem wasn’t the name, it was his image of himself. Before you change your name, I would take the time to understand why this is such a problem for you. Your name doesn’t define who you are. You do.

Well said Penguin.

Very well said, I hope the op takes your post to heart.