Renaming our daughter. Help us find "The One"

My husband and I are in desperate need of help. Our daughter was born in [name_u]August[/name_u] and we hadn’t really found any name that we were totally in love with, but while in hospital, my family and the staff kept pressuring us to choose a name and I just got so stressed. I ended up deciding that [name_f]Mae[/name_f] was a cute nickname and since our last name starts with an “M” we needed a longer form, which led us to [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]. While [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is a cute vintage name, it was never on our list, has no personal meaning for us, and is not our style at all.

Now, our daughter is almost 3 months and I am panicking. Within a few days, I regretted the name choice and have been looking ever since for her name. I tried to find other [name_f]Mae[/name_f] names, but I don’t like any and [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is to insubstantial for me. We mostly call her [name_f]Sissy[/name_f] now, with the occasional [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]. So keeping [name_f]Mae[/name_f] isn’t important to us.

My daughter is 1/4 Japanese, has dark brown hair, and blue eyes that look like a clear starry sky. When I see her, I picture pinks, purples, and a flowery meadow with a light wind. I had a miscarriage a couple months before getting pregnant with her and in between that time, I had a dream of our daughter running and dancing around a meadow, laughing, so that’s always how I’ve seen her. That may seem silly, but I really want a name that feels like those images…

Names that resonate with us and give me similar images to that are:
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]: [name_f]Love[/name_f] the myth and positive associations, but what would you name a future sister of a goddess?
[name_f]Serafina[/name_f]: [name_f]Love[/name_f] meaning and literature connection, but not sure the images match?
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]: [name_f]Adore[/name_f] all the connections, especially [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], and this is Hubby’s favorite, but is it too linked to HP? (we live in US) Also, I’m unsure if I can detach the name from the character, as I’m a huge HP fan.

I’m still unsure of these, though, so opinions on them would be helpful :).

Some names we like, but for one reason or another don’t fit are; [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], [name_f]Melisande[/name_f]

We have a 3 year old named [name_m]Kenji[/name_m]. His name has a lot of personal meaning for us and I would like the same for our daughter.

Some future sibling names: Sayuri, Theoden, Michio, Isamu, [name_m]Roland[/name_m], [name_m]Alaric[/name_m]…

We’re still looking for other name options, as I’m still not sure on those 3 above. We like names that have good meaning, and have links to literature, history, mythology, art, science, math, and astronomy. Any names you can think of?

Also, sibling cohesiveness isn’t that important to us, but I definitely don’t want any of our children feeling left out, so opinions on that would be helpful :).

If you’ve read this far, Great! Any advice on our names or more you’d like to add would be much appreciated :). I’m a complete over analyzer, to the point where my brain can’t think straight anymore when it comes to names, so I need outside opinions.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]?

It has a great history, it contains [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and it has a fabulous meaning - she who intoxicates.

I can absolutely picture this name on a lovely girl with blue eyes and dark hair, and I’ve always assumed a girl named [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] would be a lively charmer.

[name_f]Poet[/name_f]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Vespera[/name_f]
Hesta
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
Fiametta
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Aqua[/name_f]
[name_m]Aries[/name_m]
Oaklyn

I also love [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]! [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Hera[/name_f] are other options X

I really like [name_f]Serafina[/name_f]. [name_f]Mae[/name_f] would also be a great middle for [name_f]Serafina[/name_f] (even though you don’t insist on keeping it, maybe you’ll change your mind if you liked it before). And you will be able to continue calling her [name_f]Sissy[/name_f] and [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]. :slight_smile:
[name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] are really nice names too, they’re a bit too heavy, you know. The images don’t match. Besides that, [name_m]Kenji[/name_m] is too different from [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

About [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and future sibling names, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. As long as all of your children’s names are equally as dear to you, I would say that is good enough. I can think of a lot of names that would match up to [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Aliena[/name_f] ([name_m]AL[/name_m]-ee-ennuh)
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Augustina[/name_f]
Clarimond
[name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiorella[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Magali[/name_f]
[name_f]Malvina[/name_f]
Melpomene
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Selma[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]

What about [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] ([name_f]Ginny[/name_f] Weasleys full name!)?

I am seconding another berry’s suggestion of [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is a beautiful name, and I can picture your little dark haired blue eyed girl as a [name_f]Maeve[/name_f].

Adelheide nn of [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]

rollo

I like the suggestion of maeve. I also really like the suggestion of [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is light and airy, and brings to mind fields of flowers, but is still just as strong as the other three names that you listed. I’d also like to suggest [name_f]Celine[/name_f]. [name_f]Every[/name_f] time I hear celine, I think of a moon lite meadow.

I second this!:slight_smile:

Here are some of my favorites:

[name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_f]Midori[/name_f]
[name_f]Marin[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Arielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Bree[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a few ideas… :slight_smile:

I think the three names you’ve got there are all wonderful.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - great name, great [name_f]Goddess[/name_f]. You can call a future sister anything you want, as long as it’s lovely and mean something to you. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] also lends herself to [name_f]Sissy[/name_f]. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] feels a bit darker to me than what you described… but no problem. I can see flowers and fields.

[name_f]Serafina[/name_f] - this is lovely, [name_f]Serafina[/name_f]'s a very beautiful name and very girlie. It’s easy to get [name_f]Sissy[/name_f] from. It’s all taffeta gowns and braids. And lots of bunnies and happiness, balloons and laughter.

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - this gets my vote. It sounds like your only concern is [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] but you obviously love those books, it’s your husband’s favourite and it fits your dream. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] sounds like a little girl in a white cotton dress running through flower meadows, making daisychains, wind in her brown hair and her laugh like a silver bell. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]'s a great character, she’s lovely, caring, emotional, smart and level headed. Great namesake. Then there’s the Shakespearean queen and Greek mythology. I think [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] would be sweet.

As someone who’ve done this, I’d like to share with you some thoughts. First of all, for the love of something, try the names out. Call her by these names and see how it feels. One a day, something like that. Use the full name and whatever nickname you’d use. Take your time, see how you feel calling her the names, and make your husband do the same. Secondly, go with a name you’ve loved and considered before, like these three on your list, you obviously love them and you won’t fall into a trap being swept by your feet by a name you’ve not considered before, only to wake up later realising that was a dumb idea. You don’t want to experience name regret later.

If you want suggestions though I find these fitting to girls running through flowery meadows:
Aglaia
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Carina[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Charis[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]/[name_f]Clemency[/name_f]
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
Illyria
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Letitia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Meissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Perdita[/name_f]
[name_f]Talitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_u]Vega[/name_u]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Violetta[/name_f]

Good luck!

I love [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] for you. I wouldn’t worry too much about future siblings - I think there are plenty that go well with [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

Other ideas:

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelia[/name_f]
Ebelina
all meaning “life”

[name_f]Acacia[/name_f]
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacinta[/name_f]
all flower names

[name_f]Mariam[/name_f] could give you [name_f]Mae[/name_f], as could [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or [name_f]Mara[/name_f]. If you don’t like those, then I love all three of your names and second [name_f]Athena[/name_f].
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_u]Frost[/name_u]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]

Oh, I hate for you to drop [name_f]Mae[/name_f]! I think it is beyond precious and in my mind, your imagery fits [name_f]Mae[/name_f] to a tee. What could be more “flowers and running in a meadow” than [name_f]Mae[/name_f]? However, I tend to like simple sweet vintage names, where you seem to like more daring names.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] are all beautiful names

Something intresting, the [name_f]Mai[/name_f] spelling of [name_f]Mae[/name_f], even though on Nameberry it is listed as being coyote, on all other sources I have seen listed [name_f]Mai[/name_f] as being a Japanese name meaning dance. Although the only longer forms I can think of for [name_f]Mai[/name_f] are Mailli (and its variant spellings) and [name_f]Maisy[/name_f]. Given how you seem to be proud of your child’s Japanese heritage and the imagery you desire for her name is that she is dancing in a meadow, I thought you might find that to be more reason for you to love [name_f]Mae[/name_f]/[name_f]Mai[/name_f].

[name_f]Mai[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f]/[name_f]May[/name_f] is a strong enough name on its own. With one foot in her Japanese heritage one in her American.

I don’t love [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], while a beautiful name I can’t get over the meaning. To kill or murder or destroy. Also to me [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is a very tragic figure. Not a great association for a girl in a cotton dress running through flowers.

But love both [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]!

Good luck and congratulations!

[name_f]Mari[/name_f] or [name_f]Marianna[/name_f]?

It keeps the M sound.

You say you picture her with flowers in a meadow.

It is a lovely word and a lovely name.

I am also fond of [name_f]Maple[/name_f].

What about [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]?