Renly, Remy, Ronan, Renan

I need help. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner and I cannot come up with a boys name we love and he’s due to arrive very soon. We do not want a name that is popular/ on any “top 100” lists and are looking for something that is unique or unusual but not too out there. We have read so many nameberry threads and other lists but nothing “feels” right. Our shortlist oddly enough has many R names, so maybe that’s a sign, but we are still very open to any suggestions.

At the moment we have [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] as a placeholder middle name (family connection) but we are not stuck on it. Last name is Scottish - Chisholm. What are your thoughts?

[name_m]Renly[/name_m] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] Chisholm (I keep coming back to [name_m]Renly[/name_m] and like it but I’m afraid its going to be too GOT)
[name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] Chisholm
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] Chisholm (is this too Avengers?)
[name_m]Renan[/name_m] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] Chisholm (short e - REN-an)

Other names that we have liked include [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_m]Cullen[/name_m], [name_m]Alder[/name_m], [name_u]Briar[/name_u]

Thanks!

I really like [name_m]Renly[/name_m] and [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] from your list! The only [name_u]Remy[/name_u] I know is a girl (spelled [name_u]Remi[/name_u]), so it feels very feminine to me. It also makes me think of Ratatouille. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite R name for boys is [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], but it’s getting rather popular. I’ll also suggest [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_m]Rider[/name_m], [name_m]Ryker[/name_m] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u]. Good luck on your name hunt!

I love [name_u]Remy[/name_u], it’s one of my favourite names!

For me it’s the other way round: I know one [name_u]Remy[/name_u], a boy, so to me it feels more masculine.

[name_m]Renly[/name_m] is interesting but I thought immediately about Game of Thrones. I still like the name though!
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] reminds me of [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] [name_m]Lynch[/name_m] from the [name_u]Raven[/name_u] Boys, not of avangers. I think it’s a nice name.
[name_m]Cullen[/name_m] is very tied to twillight to me and I haven’t even read the books. But I still like the sound of the name.
[name_m]Renan[/name_m], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_m]Alder[/name_m] and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] are really cool!

Maybe you like [name_m]Remus[/name_m]? Most people are going to connect it to [name_m]Remus[/name_m] [name_u]Lupin[/name_u] from [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] though.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote goes to [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u].

[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] is very handsome!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_m]Ronan[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Renly[/name_m] and [name_m]Renan[/name_m] would also be nice. [name_u]Remy[/name_u] reminds me of the rat from Ratatouille, although it’s a lovely name. Also love [name_m]Cullen[/name_m] and [name_m]Alder[/name_m]. [name_m]Callum[/name_m] is very popular and you mentioned you didn’t want that, but I do like it. When I think of [name_u]Briar[/name_u], I think [name_u]Briar[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (Sleeping Beauty) so it’s just not a boy’s name to me.

I loooove [name_m]Renly[/name_m]! I think it’s so handsome, and nn [name_u]Ren[/name_u] is so cute. It does make me think of Game of Thrones, but I don’t think it’s a bad association at all. Also, I’m sure only fans of it will make the association anyway.
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] would be my second pick, I don’t think it’s too connected to Avengers.

(I also really love [name_u]Briar[/name_u]!!)

Another vote for Renley !

I love [name_u]Remy[/name_u] but I correlate it to a gun … [name_u]Remington[/name_u]. Which is very masculine

If you are looking for R suggestions I like [name_u]Regan[/name_u] !

I really love [name_u]Remy[/name_u]. Have you thought of [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] or [name_u]Rafe[/name_u]? Or [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] or [name_m]Roman[/name_m]? These, alongside [name_u]Remy[/name_u], are my favourite R names. Some other names you may like:

[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Fraser[/name_m]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_u]Lennox[/name_u]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_m]Miro[/name_m]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]

1 Like

You have some great choices. We had [name_m]Renly[/name_m] on our list for our twin boys but it didn’t make the final cut. I also think [name_u]Remy[/name_u] is really cute and I like [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] too.

I also love [name_m]Alder[/name_m]!

I like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] best.

I really like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]! Also [name_u]Briar[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] :heart_eyes:

I love [name_u]Remy[/name_u] and [name_m]Renly[/name_m] is nice too!

Some other ideas

[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]
[name_m]Breccan[/name_m]
[name_u]Calder[/name_u]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]

Remy is my favourite boy name so my vote goes here.

Hi @heidicm, welcome to the Nameberry community!

I adore [name_u]Remy[/name_u] too. Sweet, simple and handsome. [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], [name_m]Alder[/name_m] and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] are my other favourites from your list, but [name_u]Remy[/name_u] is just so effortlessly cool and distinguished.

I’m not wild about the -ly ending of [name_m]Renly[/name_m], but I do like just [name_u]Ren[/name_u]. It’s a really cool, simple, solid-sounding Japanese name meaning “water lily”, but really it feels seamlessly international and could work in any country or culture.

Ren ([name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]) Chisholm sounds :ok_hand: to me.

Best of luck! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Ronan [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] is a great name! Very handsome and strong. I have watched all the avengers movies and I had to think for a few minutes why would [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] be too attached to the avengers.
[name_m]Renan[/name_m] is nice too. I’m not crazy about [name_u]Remy[/name_u] or [name_m]Renly[/name_m]. [name_m]Cullen[/name_m], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_m]Alder[/name_m] and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] are fantastic names. I prefer [name_u]Briar[/name_u] on a girl, though. [name_m]Cullen[/name_m] it’s a great name, but if you’re worried about association, what do you think about the [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] books/movies? I love [name_m]Callum[/name_m]’s meaning and [name_m]Alder[/name_m] really cool too.

Favorite to least favorite:
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_m]Cullen[/name_m]
[name_m]Renan[/name_m]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_m]Alder[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_m]Renly[/name_m]

I really like [name_m]Renly[/name_m] and [name_m]Ronan[/name_m]. I haven’t seen GOT (shocker, I know) so I have no connection for [name_m]Renly[/name_m]. [name_m]Renan[/name_m] is cool too. [name_u]Remy[/name_u] immediately made me think of Ratatouille. As for your other names, [name_m]Callum[/name_m] and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] are my favorites. If I had to choose one of the names, I would say [name_m]Renly[/name_m].