Replacement Names

Need some help. I wrote this post earlier tonight but I got that ridic error message “This post needs to be approved by a moderator before you can see it.” I guess it’s probably not going to show up anyways from the looks of other questions about that.

I’m writing a novel and I have just read The Hunger Games this week but haven’t even seen the movie. It ruins some of the names I had picked out - it will just look like I’m copying the author. It’s really disappointing but I guess it gives me the opportunity to pick better names, I hope. I’m not going to give away the plot, just some crucial details but try and be imaginative please?

The novel is about a young girl (16), [name]Cordelia[/name] ____, who has curly, rusty-auburn hair that is shoulder-blade length. She has in-between skin, it is light tan in the summer months and fairer in the cold months. She always has a blush over her cheeks with pouty lips. Her wide-eyes are a green-grey and very startling - it always appears that she’s glaring even when she’s not. In the novel she is going to be a healer-type character who has an affinity with water. Although she appears dainty, she is far from it. She’s not clumsy, just clunky; except in the water where she is very graceful. She’s average height but appears much smaller, because she has curves. She’s not chunky, but not skinny. Ideally, her middle name should be something that has something to do with healing, water, the colors blue/green/grey, etc. It can be in relation to flowers, animals, colors, etc but not completely obvious and cheesy.

Her sister, Auriana _____, has bright red hair with blondish highlights, making her seem on fire in the sun. It’s wavy and reaches all the way down to her butt. She’s taller and more slender than [name]Cordelia[/name], with red-brown doe eyes with flecks of yellow-gold, that always appear innocent and benign. She has a very fiery personality (hence her affinity to fire) - she is quick to anger and very passionate in everything she does, even competitive. She is artistic and graceful in general, prettier in the face than [name]Cordelia[/name] but not by much. She is freckled across her cheeks and on her shoulders. She is younger (12) and very serious, she isn’t easy to joke around with. She loves summer naturally - and the colors of autumn. Ideally, her middle name should have something to do with fire, whether it’s in color, flower, animal, etc. I would like the middle names to match in some way (such as being two colors, or two flowers, in relation somehow etc) but it’s not essential. I originally had picked [name]Cinna[/name] - it was neutral, it could have been short for [name]Cinnamon[/name], Cinder, or [name]Cinnabar[/name]. The huz thinks I should just use it - but the Hunger Games have rendered it basically useless. Any suggestions? If you choose a color name - try purple or orange, trying to avoid too much red.

The last name should be medieval or ancient-sounding. I don’t want it to be random, but I also don’t know how to tie it in. Their father picks up odd jobs every day - he buys groceries for the elderly in their snow-topped mountain-village, prints for the town printing press, tends gardens, takes care of children, runs errands etc and is also a part-time grave-digger. He is highly respected in their village and has a really upbeat personality. Their mother has her own garden which she sells the excess of - fruits and veggies to general store and herbs to the apothecary (which is run by her sisters and grandmother) and is not anti-social, but very private and not very talkative, very down-to-business. The book begins with the girls running from an avalanche which has destroyed their village, and mostly children survive. At the bottom of the hill they are unsure of whether their parents made it, but assume not. By the end of the novel it does come out that their mother made it. Their father did survive but has amnesia and lives elsewhere - the sisters never find out this information, and presume him dead. You will eventually come to find out a secret about [name]Cordelia[/name] - she is not really their daughter, and is of a higher prophecy later on. I just don’t know how to find something that says something about the family - you know?

Other names of characters include [name]Sage[/name], [name]Aloysius[/name], are guys and the girls are [name]Aleta[/name] and [name]Jadis[/name]. I am unsure of which gender I should be using Arcturus or Arctura on. If you have further suggestions of character names to complement these, please suggest some because I have plenty of nameless characters fleshed out. I am not as picky about these names - but try and keep it similar, you know? Nothing too modern, popular, frilly, etc. Any of the names can be in another language - like [name]Anya[/name] or something, nothing too out-of-place.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any suggestions!

1 Like

Okay, so I eventually decided on [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Pomona[/name] [name]Reinard[/name] and Auriana [name]Brigid[/name] [name]Reinard[/name]. I also decided on [name]Jadis[/name] ___ Ravencroft and [name]Sage[/name] ___ [name]Brighton[/name], [name]Aloysius[/name] [name]Sage[/name] [name]Brighton[/name], and [name]Aleta[/name] ____ [name]Brighton[/name].

Does anyone have any middle name suggestions or similar name suggestions in general?

1 Like