Replies would be really appreciated!

May I have your honest opinions please? Is Cre$$ida a name you consider way too ‘OTT’?
Since our family doubled in size with one year old twins, I am unable to work f/t and take care of them as well. Understandably I hope or I feel useless.
To get some ‘me’ time I undertook a few hours work in which I have high level interaction with the public, especially women. I am hearing from older clients that they have never heard of my name but more importantly, they do not use or remember it. The job requires that I am the contact so I was trying to think of a name that is known to them and easy to say/pronounce, that I am okay with myself.

While DH and I were deciding on names for twins (one is a little girl) – I had thought of giving myself a middle name - but not just because of other people. I have hopefully resolved the problem for work - one name of our hyphenated surname sounds the same as a better known female name. I am going to try that.

There are many names that older people especially are unfamiliar with today, but I was so surprised to see Cre$$ida listed on the “eccentric aristocrat”/OTT thread alongside names such as Illyria Tamarisk Persephone Soledad Eponine Appolline Faustine Ptarmigan & Scheherezade.

I have not long returned from the UK where there are a quite few namesakes and I have had no issues in Australia until doing this job. I would really appreciate your replies in order to see how some may perceive my name. Many thanks.:slight_smile:

I’m not Australian, but [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] isn’t over the top to me. I don’t find it any less usable than [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].

Thank you for your reply @namenculture. I am glad someone agrees with me.:wink:

I don’t think it’s over the top. It has echoes of the very familiar [name_f]Jessica[/name_f].

[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] is rare but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as difficult to understand as the likes of Ptarmigan or Scheherezade. It has only three syllables and is fairly easy to spell and pronounce.

Thank you kindly for all your replies. I was beginning to feel a little ‘[name_m]OTT[/name_m]’ myself.:slight_smile:

I personally don’t think it’s too hard to remember, but I can see how others might. I’ve never heard of the name before, but it seems somewhat phonetically spelled and easy to pronounce. If it’s bothering you a lot, I’d suggest going by that one part of your surname you mentioned, if you think it’s easier to remember.

Good luck!

Yeah, [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] doesn’t seem too over-the-top at all. People who won’t put in the effort to remember it are just lazy/don’t care and that isn’t fair to you. Personally, I’d be delighted to know someone with the name!

I had never heard of the name before [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Harry[/name_m]'s now ex-girlfriend… Honestly I remember doing a double-take, not sure exactly why.

I have a rare name as well and am used to people getting it wrong and not remembering. If I were working with old people, I’d prob stick to my name but let them call me whatever they remember.

I don’t think so, since it feels very similar to other popular names ([name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]/[name_f]Tess[/name_f]). Is there an easier nn you could go by at work? Maybe Cress, [name_f]CeCe[/name_f], or initials if they work.

[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] is a pretty unusual name, but is by no means totally unheard of. [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Harry[/name_m]'s ex-girlfriend is a recent reference, and there’s also a [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] character named [name_f]Cressida[/name_f]. The pronunciation is straightforward too. When names are unfamiliar it often takes us a bit longer to remember, but they should get it with time :slight_smile: Wait awhile and see if the situation improves, then change it if it doesn’t. That being said, if you would prefer to go by something else anyways, change it.

Oh dear, I think it was me who suggested [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] on that thread blush I’m really sorry if I offended you!

In actual fact, I don’t find [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] [name_m]OTT[/name_m], though you’re right that a lot of the others I listed definitely are! I don’t think [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] is on a par with Ptarmigan and Scheherezade or anything like that, I was really just having fun with the thread topic and listed some way “out there” ones alongside a couple of more serious suggestions.

[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] for me fitted the “aristocratic” part of the description - and I promise you that I mean that in a good way! It’s an unusual name where I live, though I think very recognisable and well-known, and it has that very light, sophisticated, feminine vibe which has traditionally been quite popular with more well-to-do parents. Names like [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] were also initially much more used in that circle, but have now become much more mainstream choices here in the UK, so I think [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] could well get more widespread use in the future too.

I don’t think it’s a difficult name to understand or remember at all, so I’m surprised to hear that you’ve had some issues with that. I actually think it’s a lovely, fresh-sounding name and definitely much more interesting and memorable than mine ([name_f]Emma[/name_f])!

[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] is totally not over the top. It’s as usable as [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] which are gaining popularity nowadays.

Could you utilise a nickname that may be more memorable for those you work with that don’t get your name like Cressy/[name_f]Crissy[/name_f], Sida or [name_f]Ida[/name_f]?

Oh my goodness thank you all so much for replying.
Thank you for all your suggestions. I have solved my problem at work by using my surname, well half of my hyphenated surname. It sounds exactly like a well known girls name and so I recognize any query which is for me. It just took a little while for me to see the solution for myself.
Names like Cre$$y and [name_f]Cece[/name_f] and [name_f]Cre$$a[/name_f] which I am called from time to time don’t work any better- I tried but its
equally as new to some.

@summerskin - your comment made me feel quite special- and I am sorry to disillusion you but I doubt you’d be delighted -I am very very ordinary and so are two of the namesakes that I know- but I do know what you mean. I would like to meet an [name_f]Andromache[/name_f] or [name_f]Antigone[/name_f]. I know there is an [name_f]Andromache[/name_f] in a acquaintance’s class. :cool:

@katinka -Oh please I am delighted you made the post- it was the Ptarmigan and Scheherezade that made me wonder and ask, but I am not in the least offended. I just meant I felt a little dizzy at the thought! You have a beautiful list of ‘[name_m]OTT[/name_m]’ names.
I have discovered from nameberry we all have different perceptions and equally different groupings of names around us. I see you are UK too so I am surprised you don’t know somebody -I shall leave [name_f]Cre$$ida[/name_f] B0nas out of this discussion. So much media on that. I love your name and congrats to see you are adding to your family soon.

So much is what you are used to in your own world. Last year I had discussions over some boy’s name like [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] or vice versa on my sig. and the ‘aristocrat’ comment came albeit a very nice one. It happened that she - sorry @ ash… if you are reading… knew a family with one of the names mentioned - who were quite the aristocrats.
Thanks again.

I don’t think it’s [name_m]OTT[/name_m], or unusable. I quite like it actually. But it is unusual, I have never heard of an actual person with the name, only fictional characters.

I don’t think it’s over the top. Whilst uncommon it is still familiar to me, and to most in the UK as well I would have thought.