Respecting Unique Names

Hey Berries!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] thought I’d share this article. It really highlights the need to put effort into learning and respecting people’s names.

“We live in a deeply diverse community, yet there is still a lack of respect when it comes to unique names.”

:heart: :heart: :heart:

18 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely be sharing this with people in my life, I think there are many points here we should all take to heart.

1 Like

I always get very annoyed when people make no effort to get someone’s name right, even if it’s not my own.
I have a co-worker who’s very good at his job, but whenever one of his patients has a more unique name doesn’t even bother to get it right. Let’s say, for example, the patient is named [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]. When he goes to collect her in the waiting room, he’ll probably go “[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]… or something”. Literally like that. Sometimes it makes me want to punch him :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

“It’s my identity and who I am so show a little respect.” [name_m]Ah[/name_m] this sums it up so well. Honestly, I understand people getting your name wrong when it’s unusual where you live but not even trying is hurtful. It just shows such a deep lack of respect for you and your identity.

1 Like

100% my thoughts!

2 Likes

One of my friends is a Z0e, pronounced zoh-ee, and a teacher that we share refuses to call her by the right name because “Z0e is Zoh and Z0ey is zoh-ee!”. It drives me crazy because it’s not that hard to respect a persons name and pronunciation. I can’t imagine how hard it could be for someone with an actually unique name.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It must be so frustrating for the young woman in the article. Especially as Zesha (Zeesha) is not even that difficult to pronounce in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I always make an effort to learn how to pronounce names that are unfamiliar to me. I know an Adrián (who is Spanish) who hates it when people pronounce his name the [name_f]English[/name_f] way.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this! [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (I’m kinda questioning my gender identity so I want to be called [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for now) but people I know don’t respect that, or use my proper pronouns. As someone who had the name of [name_u]September[/name_u] people would constantly call me the wrong name like [name_f]Summer[/name_f], Sebrena, and [name_u]December[/name_u]. Now I just want to be [name_u]Robin[/name_u] which should never have a mess up. I’ve always hated my deadname ([name_u]September[/name_u]) because everyone would constantly ask me questions about it and it overwhelmed me so much. Now I try to live a normal life just as [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

2 Likes

I had an absolutely flooring experience with this the other day, my FIL of nearly 4 years spelled my name Cara… :flushed: Omg I nearly lost it. I don’t care so much if my name is spelled wrong on a coffee cup or whatever, but seriously! He should know better, and put in the effort to fix autocorrect (if that’s what it was)!! :triumph:

What on earth! Z.o.e has been “zoh-ee” forever (well before the -y version became popular!) That is just rude, especially if the teacher has been corrected! :roll_eyes::flushed:

@RobinCobblepot I’m so sorry that people aren’t respecting your name choices. That must be so frustrating and disheartening. Robin is such a sweet name - what made you chose it? I think of the birds, but perhaps it has a different meaning for you. :blush:

@choupette Exactly. Zesha isn’t even that complicated.

3 Likes

Well my favorite character from my favorite tv show, the guy that plays him, his name is [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Lord[/name_m] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] so I thought that name would suit me. Plus I just really like the name.

2 Likes

What a grand sounding name! :grin: I can definitely see the appeal.

2 Likes

I 100% agree with this. I used to get so upset when a co-worker continuously called me [name_u]Holly[/name_u] and did so in front of my mom - she didn’t like me enough to care what my name was for over a year, until I began dating someone she got along with.

I usually try to make a conscious effort to ask children that I work with how to say or spell their names if I can (if they’re too young to ask, I ask the educator in the room or parents when I see them). I know how upset I used to get whenever someone misspelled or mispronounced [name_u]Haley[/name_u], so I try to avoid doing it to others.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] mother does this all the time. She keeps spelling my SO’s name wrong. It’s not because she doesn’t care, I think, rather that she’s just really bad with names. She’s always terrified that I’ll name one of my children something “complicated that she can’t remember” :sweat_smile:

1 Like