Retro chic

I’m looking for suggestions for boy names that are old school, but that wouldn’t be too out there when shouting it in the playground. [name]Felix[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Chester[/name] etc. are what I’m talking about. Also, what are your thoughts on [name]Harvey[/name]? Is it too attached to [name]Sabrina[/name] the Teenage Witch? [name]TIA[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Milo[/name]! [name]Harvey[/name] isn’t a name I can picture on a grown man. I do think of [name]Sabrina[/name], but besides that, it just sounds childish to me.

Others:

[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]/[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name]
[name]Claude[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Byron[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]/[name]Bram[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Warren[/name]

I love [name]Harvey[/name], I personally do not think of it as an old man name because I knew someone that was my age with that name. Here are my suggestions:

[name]Clarence[/name]
[name]Clyde[/name]
[name]Bruce[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]/[name]Leonard[/name]
[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Murray[/name]
[name]Windsor[/name]
[name]Walt[/name]/[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Walden[/name]

[name]Felix[/name] is my 1st choice for a boy, [name]Milo[/name] is my friends nephew and he’s a really cool wee boy :smiley:

[name]Harvey[/name] is a great choice as well, i was a [name]Sabrina[/name] fan but didn’t make the connection with that program, i think [name]Harvey[/name] Keitel straight away and that’s not a negative association.

I’ve no suggestions though as over than [name]Felix[/name] all my boys names are old scottish ones which don’t obvioulsy fit your style.

I cannot see [name]Felix[/name] on anything other than a cat but that is just a personal opinion and I am probably the only one that thinks that way :wink:

I like [name]Milo[/name], I think I prefer [name]Miles[/name] but both have a retro chicness to them

I have a huge soft spot for [name]Chester[/name]!! I have considered it for my own list but I never seem to be able to make it fit, but with the names you like I think it fits well :slight_smile:

I was a [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Fan[/name] as well so I do think of that [name]Harvey[/name], but I have no other Harveys [name]IRL[/name] so I can totally see it on a real boy/man just fine. I think it is actually quite handsome :slight_smile:

Some good suggestions here - a couple I thought of were [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Wendell[/name].

I love [name]Felix[/name]! It’s one of my top mns, and I’d have it as a fn but I have an ‘f’ issue, plus it just sounds so good after [name]Oliver[/name]. [name]Milo[/name] is cute, [name]Miles[/name] is better. I’m not a fan of [name]Chester[/name], it always makes me think of Chestnuts & a camp song. [name]Harvey[/name] does not make me think of [name]Sabrina[/name], and I was a fan. I’m still not too much of a fan of it though.

You could also consider Zealand, [name]Mason[/name], [name]Manson[/name], [name]Vance[/name], [name]Vinnie[/name], [name]Van[/name], [name]Neo[/name], [name]Balthasar[/name], [name]Cornelius[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Juneau[/name], [name]Spencer[/name].

I think [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] are both outstanding names. They’re on my top 5 list, though, so we obviously share a style preference. I think that [name]Miles[/name] could be a cute nn for [name]Milo[/name], if you’re so inclined. I also like other posters’ suggestions of [name]Calvin[/name] and [name]Walter[/name] as retro chic. I prefer [name]Harry[/name] to [name]Harvey[/name]. What about [name]Arthur[/name]?

I like [name]Harvey[/name]. I have never seen [name]Sabrina[/name] the teenage witch, so that doesn’t affect my decision.

[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Bo/name
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Douglas[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]

Thanks everyone! I love [name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name] and pretty much every other name that’s been suggested.

Babiesk - I probably would use [name]Miles[/name] as a nickname for [name]Milo[/name] but whenever I say that people get really confused because its supposed to be the other way around haha. I’ve also been thinking about [name]Harrison[/name] a lot lately, though it’s popularity and trendy -son ending make me rethink it. I do think it has a very handsome sound, though (or I’ve just been watching too much [name]Dexter[/name]). Can I trouble you for some suggestions off your own list?

For sure! Regarding nicknames, we’ve found that more than anything, they just come. You might find yourself calling a [name]Milo[/name], [name]Miles[/name], even if you hadn’t planned on it. Or, something completely unexpected. I agree with your take on [name]Harrison[/name]. It seems a more natural formal name for [name]Harry[/name] than many others, but the -son thing can feel trendy. Oh, well. [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Ford[/name] did it a long time ago!

Others I like
[name]Adrian[/name] - my husband can’t separate from [name]Rocky[/name], but I like it
[name]Arthur[/name] - I like [name]Ari[/name] as a nn, but [name]Art[/name] or [name]Artie[/name] has the retro chic vibe
[name]August[/name] - nn Auggie or [name]Gus[/name], depending on your style
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] (our frontrunner for this baby, our third) - nn could be [name]Ellis[/name] or [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name] - nn [name]Ike[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]/[name]Miles[/name] - nn the other one :slight_smile:
[name]Oliver[/name] - my oldest’s name
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] - a bit trendy, but still a strong name
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] - nn [name]Teddy[/name] (I have a hard time getting past [name]Theo[/name]'s Cosby show reference, but I don’t think this is very common anymore)
[name]Walter[/name] - nn [name]Walt[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name] - nn [name]Wes[/name]

That’s what I’ve got off the top of my head. I’m sure I’ll think of many more after I post. Can’t wait to hear what you decide!

[name]Love[/name] your list! [name]Elliot[/name] is great. I’m loving [name]Ellis[/name], [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] as well. I’m worried [name]Ellis[/name] might be a but feminine sounding, though. I don’t think [name]Owen[/name] would be any good because his last name would McKeown ([name]Mac[/name]-[name]KEW[/name]-en) and I’m not sure about the flow/look/sound. Oh, and as a nick name for [name]Arthur[/name] I was thinking [name]Archie[/name] because I would like to use [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Charles[/name] as a combo after my great grandfather.

I think of [name]Harvey[/name] Dent from Batman first so it seems more appealing to me.

well I have [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Chester[/name] on my list so maybe we have similar taste (as I cant convince dh of [name]Milo[/name] I will be going with [name]CHester[/name] if I have a boy :slight_smile: )…I have two boys, [name]Archie[/name] and [name]Rupert[/name]. Others I like…
[name]Louis[/name]/ [name]Louie[/name]
[name]Claude[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Albert[/name] ([name]Albie[/name])
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]August[/name] ([name]Gus[/name])

good luck picking!!!

[name]Harvey[/name] always makes me think of [name]Peter[/name] [name]Harvey[/name]… he’s a political reporter on the Australian news. Talks in a really deep voice, with lots of ominous pauses. “[name]Peter[/name] [name]Harvey[/name], Canberra”.

I think [name]Felix[/name] is a lovely choice. [name]Milo[/name] is a milk drink here in Australia, so not a name you’d get away with here, but still nice. [name]Chester[/name] feels a bit stuffy to me.

[name]Frank[/name]
[name]Archie[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
Dean

I have a [name]Chester[/name], so I love that name! [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] are great, too! I didn’t even think of [name]Sabrina[/name] the Teenage Witch until you mentioned it, and I liked that show, so I don’t think that association is too strong. Other names I like that have the same feel to me

[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Phinneas[/name]
[name]Clint[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Clifford[/name]

Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas here.

[name]Sailor[/name] girl - [name]How[/name] old is your [name]Chester[/name]? I’m terrified about ‘[name]Chester[/name] the Molester’ jokes, but I love the name a lot. Loving [name]Flynn[/name], [name]Spencer[/name] (though I’m kind of afraid the girls have taken it) and [name]Walter[/name] from your suggestions.

oddcreature - I’m Australian! Haha, clearly not overly faised by the [name]Milo[/name] association, and I also know who [name]Peter[/name] [name]Harvey[/name] is, but don’t see a lot of him, so doesn’t bother me too much either. I actually know of an Aussie comedian who has a [name]Milo[/name], so hopefully it’s becoming more acceptable as a name here.

lynae - [name]Love[/name] [name]Arlo[/name]

[name]Lori[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Jack[/name] from your list, as well as other names I’ve previously mentioned liking.

My [name]Chester[/name] is three. It’s definitely not a name everyone loves, some people I know who are into trendier names say things like, “Who is he named after?” (the answer is no one, we just liked the name). But a lot of people say, “What a cool name!” We named him [name]Chester[/name] with the intention of calling him [name]Chet[/name] most of the time, but they usually call him [name]Chester[/name] at preschool and we call him both [name]Chester[/name] and [name]Chet[/name]. We haven’t heard any “[name]Chester[/name] the Molester” jokes, but he’s only three, so his peers won’t be thinking of that.