Returning Berry needing help to rebuild list!

Hello Berries!

Magalie here, returning to the glorious NB after a very long time away, having kind of fallen out of love with names for a little bit. Fortunately, I’ve rediscovered it and I’m really loving reading blogs and replying to posts so far! It’s fantastic to be back :blush:

Now it’s time for me to rebuild my list! Shockingly, I only have two names on my girls list, so I’m starting there. I’m not quite sure how to describe my style, other than names that are meaningful to me in some way and I suppose not too avant-garde or too popular (hopefully).

For reference, my boys list is currently:
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Jonty[/name_m]’
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Eliezer[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Eli[/name_u]’ or ‘Ezzy’
[name_m]David[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Ziggy[/name_u]’ (it’s a musical reference)

And here are the girls!

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]

There are stories and quite a bit of meaning behind the names but I don’t want to write on forever in my first post!

One more thing! I have a bit of a thing about not repeating initials, so no I, M, J, T, E or D names please. So, please feel free to flood me with suggestions! They are greatly appreciated for sure :blush:

*note: Girls’ names only please!

6 Likes

Welcome back, @magalie! I love your name and profile pic.

Your lists are lovely. [name_m]David[/name_m] “[name_u]Ziggy[/name_u]” is super cool :zap:

How about…

Arlo
[name_m]Samson[/name_m] “[name_u]Sonny[/name_u]”
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m] “[name_u]Rafa[/name_u]”
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] “[name_u]Sol[/name_u]”
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] “[name_m]Art[/name_m]” or “[name_m]Archie[/name_m]”
[name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] “[name_u]Cal[/name_u]”
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] “[name_m]Wilf[/name_m]”
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m] “[name_m]Rad[/name_m]”
[name_m]Ozias[/name_m] “[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]”
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] “[name_m]Xavi[/name_m]”
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] “Bash” or “[name_m]Baz[/name_m]”
[name_u]Amos[/name_u]
[name_m]Abram[/name_m] “[name_m]Bram[/name_m]”
[name_m]Nahum[/name_m]

Flora
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Orla[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]Honor[/name_u]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_u]Camille[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions :blush: I love [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]! I really like [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f], it’s just they’ve already been used by close family/personal ties

Iris [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is just the sweetest! Maybe you’d like:

Betty
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_u]Louise[/name_u] / [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lexa[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] / [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Nellie[/name_f] / [name_f]Nella[/name_f] / [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilma[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] / [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] / [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] / [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] / [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] / [name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you so much! It feels so good to be welcomed back :blush:

Your suggestions are amazing! I’m sorry, I really didn’t ask clearly but I’m just focusing on girls’ names to start with. That being said, I do love [name_m]Samson[/name_m], [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] and [name_m]Bram[/name_m]! I actually think they’re all great - you’ve definitely understood my style :slight_smile:

As for the girls, they are beautiful! I love:

Phoebe - The meaning and all associations I have are so positive! It’s not the deepest of namesakes but I do really love the character of [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] from Friends and I’ve taught two absolute joys named [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] too.

Beatrix - As a child, [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] was my favourite so this is a lovely reference to that. Again, beautiful meaning and the same sweet nn as [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]! Actually, [name_f]Bette[/name_f]/Betty could work too, right?

I really like:
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath and this seems like a lovely, lighter twist on her name
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f] - maybe as a nn? I’ve been thinking of this one a bit lately
[name_u]Honor[/name_u] - I live in country which uses the spelling honour, so it’s a double take for me to see this spelling but separating them, I quite like it as a name
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] - [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lovelace[/name_u] :blush:
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - I love this name but have a close friend named [name_f]Freya[/name_f] so will have to leave it off the list
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] - Really starting to warm to this one! [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is sweet but I’m much keener on a long form and the nn [name_f]Luci[/name_f]

1 Like

Ah, sorry! This is in #girl-baby-names :woman_facepalming: [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you liked some of my suggestions at least!

2 Likes

Penelope
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Leora[/name_f]
[name_f]Alessia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you very much! [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_u]Jean[/name_u] are my late grandmothers’ names. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] I love for so many reasons but above all its meaning and connection to rainbows bridging the heavens and [name_f]Earth[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Your suggestions are so wonderful! I apologise for not commenting on all of these - I’m actually just down to my left hand only atm which is why it’s taking an age for me to type replies!
I love:
[name_f]Betty[/name_f] - really crushing on this one right now!
[name_u]Louise[/name_u]/Louisa - this is prolific among my family so will be a middle name
[name_f]Zara[/name_f] - this is gorgeous! I do just slightly worry if it’s too closely connected to the clothing store?
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] - :heart_eyes:
[name_f]Alma[/name_f] - this one is surprising me but I find myself really loving how it sounds! And that meaning is swoon-worthy

I really like:
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]/Willa - not sure which more!

I also really, really love [name_f]Lily[/name_f] but I’m not sure I can have another floral name up front.

1 Like

Flora
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

I know you said no J/M/E names, but I’ll also suggest [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]!

1 Like

Lola
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]/Sylvie
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_u]Aza[/name_u]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Orla[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Xena[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Asha[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Poesy[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]

1 Like

Hi there.

Great lists! I’ve honestly never been a big fan of [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] or [name_m]Jonty[/name_m], but seeing [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jonty[/name_m] on your list made me find it super adorable.

Anyway, here are a few girls to go w/Iris & [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. Sorry for any repeats!

Anya

Amelie

Audra

Anthea

Chloe

Daphne

Delia

Flora

Freya

Fiona

Greta

Gwyneth

Holly

Lydia

Lucy

Louise

Louisa

Olive

Phoebe

Penelope

Ruby

Rose

Stella

Vivian

Vida

Zella

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Based on [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], how about:

Hazel
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

Rosemary
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Via[/name_f] (for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath)
[name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucina[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhea[/name_f]

maybe something like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] for [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]??

1 Like

Lila / [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Zari[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_u]Aza[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Kiera[/name_f]
[name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]

1 Like

Welcome back!

Lilia or [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Frida[/name_f] or [name_f]Frieda[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Polina[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ziva[/name_f]
[name_f]Salma[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Selah[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] or [name_f]Beata[/name_f]
[name_f]Yulia[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Ylva[/name_f], [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] (for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath)
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Amabel[/name_f]

1 Like

I love your names :purple_heart:

Lilia
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelica[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_u]Carmen[/name_u]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Fabienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]

1 Like

no I, M, J, T, E or D … Oh man, this is hard! Many of my favorites start with T, E, and D!

A
[name_f]Avalyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Avaline[/name_f] / [name_f]Aveline[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u] ([name_u]Lexie[/name_u])

C
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Casey[/name_u]

G
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]

H
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

L
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Liz[/name_f]
[name_u]Lexie[/name_u]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] (NN [name_u]Vinny[/name_u])
[name_f]Leticia[/name_f] / Laeticia (NN [name_f]Letty[/name_f])

N
[name_f]Nathalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]

O
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]

P
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]

Q
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u]

S
[name_u]Sidney[/name_u]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]

V
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f]
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]

1 Like

Iris [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is amazing :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you all so much! @Greyblue, @tileishamaree, @almostactually, @MichelleM, @scholastica, @Poseylee, @acajou, @tori101 and @LynnG you really came to the suggestions party and they are awesome! :partying_face:

There are lots of beautiful names that I really like the idea of but don’t feel quite like me - if that makes sense. Also, several lovely ones that are already too close to me, like Amélie, for example is one of my sisters’ names.

I have started to make a kind of ‘working’ list, using your brilliant suggestions, which I very much welcome feedback on and look forward to adding to more!

Phoebe
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]/Beatrice - nn [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
Noémi - [name_u]French[/name_u] version of [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] and I’ve just discovered, also Japanese
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]/Sarai
[name_f]Arielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] story of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], several associations and meaning but worry about it seeming a little harsh sounding?

These are a subcategory of names I love as nicknames, that I would love to find longer versions for:
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f] - @scholastica I love the idea of fn + mn giving this!
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Libi[/name_f] - I’m torn with this one, as I love the Hebrew spelling and meaning but the pronunciation of ‘[name_f]Libby[/name_f]’ more

Special mentions to [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Audre[/name_f] (for [name_f]Audre[/name_f] Lorde) and [name_f]Amabel[/name_f] - all of which might sneak onto the list at some point.

Finally, I’ve been really crushing on [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] recently, with the nn [name_f]Gia[/name_f]. Any thoughts?

Thank you :blush:

3 Likes

Georgia nn [name_f]Gia[/name_f] is so pretty, and goes perfectly with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f]!

A few more suggestions:
[name_f]Lourdes[/name_f] - another [name_f]Audre[/name_f] Lorde honor
[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] - softer than [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] on its own?
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f] - another “[name_f]Gia[/name_f]” nickname option
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Salome[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Livia[/name_f] - “[name_f]Liv[/name_f]” nickname options
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f] - “[name_f]Lily[/name_f]” nickname option
[name_f]Lilibet[/name_f], [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] - “[name_f]Lily[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Libi[/name_f]” nickname options
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

Lourdes is a beautiful name but not quite for me. [name_f]Salome[/name_f] is very interesting too but I’m not sure I’m bold enough for that one!

Ruthie is the sweetest and I’m sure if I did end up with a wee [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], she’d be called [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] but I do usually prefer not to use nicknames on their own.

Chloe is such a excellent name - just has been very popular where I’m from for a long while that I feel like I know a lot of Chloes in their 20s and can’t imagine it on any other age.

Liliana, [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f], [name_f]Livia[/name_f] and [name_f]Alaia[/name_f] are beautiful! [name_f]Alaia[/name_f] rhymes with [name_f]Maya[/name_f] a bit too much for me.

I actually had previously really considered [name_f]Liberty[/name_f], or even Liberté nn [name_f]Libi[/name_f]! I worried it was a bit too word-y with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and quite a different vibe but I do quite love it so reconsidering now…

The one I’m sticking on rn is actually [name_f]Olive[/name_f]! I previously had disliked it and found it a little odd as a name when I love eating olives, the food, so much! But I do love the idea of the olive branch representing peace, I loved [name_f]Olive[/name_f] in ‘[name_m]Little[/name_m] Miss [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f]’ and I really love the idea of [name_f]Olive[/name_f] nn [name_f]Liv[/name_f]!

2 Likes