Reuben on a girl?

I want to know what you think of [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] as a girls name! I was actually pretty surprised that it hasn’t made the leap to the ladies yet, especially considering the success of other boys-names-turned-neutral [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. Could you picture a little girl named [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]?

I’m sorry, but this is 100% masculine for me. I’m not a big fan of [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], but I really dislike it for a girl. [name_u]Rue[/name_u] would be cute, though.

4 Likes

First of all this is just my opinion and in no way am I trying to pressure you or saying that this would be a bad choice. These are just my personal thoughts, and if you want to use this name for a girl, by all means, go ahead!

First of all, I don’t really care for the Reu spelling it just doesn’t look good or feel good to me, and I don’t really love the name with either spelling, even for a boy. I mean with the right combo I can really love it, but I ususally don’t. [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] for a girl is not anything I would use, though I love ‘switching genders’. I don’t see any reason why not to use it; as -en is not a specifically male suffix in any language I know of (sorry if I’m wrong about that). It’s an interesting choice and yes, I can definitely picture a girl with that name of any age!!

I can’t really see it on a girl. The [name_u]Rue[/name_u] part of it is very soft sounding, but the name as a whole is very masculine to me.

[name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is all boy to me too. But then, I still can’t picture [name_u]James[/name_u] on a girl (perhaps because I haven’t met one).

i can see it on a girl, i actually asked on here a while ago too! except i went with the [name_m]Ruben[/name_m] spelling, although Ru/[name_u]Rue[/name_u] is cute i would lean to more of [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_m]Benny[/name_m] as nicknames! i think [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] fits in with all the [name_u]Parker[/name_u]’s, [name_u]Oakley[/name_u]’s, [name_u]Tatum[/name_u]’s, [name_u]Blake[/name_u]’s, etc

1 Like

I agree that this is really masculine :frowning: If you like the nn [name_u]Rue[/name_u], have you considered [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] or [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]?

@IrinaNicolaStrong I like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] but I’m not sold on it :confused: and I’m not a fan of [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] because it has “prude” in it. I do love [name_u]Rue[/name_u] though.

@daniemc That’s what I thought! It’s nice to see that I’m not the only one who thinks this could work :sweat_smile:

Thank you everyone for your opinions, even if you disagree with me I still love to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

The name [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] literally means “behold a son”. For me it’s hard to see past that and see it on a girl.

2 Likes

I can see where you’re coming from because the sounds do feel like they would work as a girl’s name but since the name literally means “behold, a son!”, I think I would feel a little weird using it on a daughter.
I know [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] etc. all mean “son of” but I can take that to mean descendant of. This one feels too literal for me to ignore.

4 Likes

[name_u]Beat[/name_u] me to it! Lol exactly what I was thinking.

I do find [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] a bit hard to picture on a girl, but that doesn’t mean it’s unusable–just my opinion! If [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] doesn’t appeal, I wonder if you might like [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]/[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] with [name_u]Rue[/name_u] as a nickname? Depending on how much you’re willing to stretch, a lot of other “R” names could also give you [name_u]Rue[/name_u]. It could also make a really lovely middle name. It has a bit of a melancholy meaning, but according to Nameberry it’s also a plant/nature name!

1 Like

Why not just [name_u]Rue[/name_u] if you’re going for that sound? [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] is very masculine and not appealing for a girl.

I don’t think it works, kinda like naming a girl [name_m]David[/name_m]. [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] also means “behold, a son”.

I’m not a fan… and I tend to like gender bender names more than some on this site. I just think it sounds super masculine. I prefer just [name_u]Rue[/name_u]/[name_u]Roux[/name_u] or [name_u]Ruby[/name_u].

No. No. No.

I can see it crossing over into unisex territory in the future tbh, especially due to its similarity to [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

I could picture a girl called [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] but I don’t really like the spelling. You could use [name_u]Rue[/name_u] or [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] as a nickname.

It’s very masculine to me, I’m afraid, and I’m normally down for unisex names! :grimacing: For me it’s a bit like naming your daughter [name_m]Adam[/name_m] or [name_m]Isaac[/name_m].

1 Like

I’ve never heard of [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] for a girl. I think people would automatically assume she’s a boy when they read the name, which could be annoying for her.