Rex.. Is it still seen as a dog name?

We’ve just found out that our 2nd child will be a boy and our top contender is [name_u]Rex[/name_u]. We’ve had mixed thoughts from others on the name, including 3 people saying its a dog’s name… So I thought I’d ask here. Is it wearable?

[name_u]Rex[/name_u] is one of my absolute favourite boys’ names! It’s a top contender for us and might even be #1 if it weren’t for the fact that my husband’s name is [name_u]Max[/name_u], which feels a little matchy to me. Personally, I’ve met more dogs called [name_u]Max[/name_u] than [name_u]Rex[/name_u], and no one seems to be put off by that!

I find [name_u]Rex[/name_u] very strong, punchy, dynamic and old-school - it’s great! Definitely wearable IMHO :slight_smile:

Most people in the real world still think it’s a dog’s name.

I agree with @boyandgirl

I think there aren’t “dog’s names”. I’ve met dogs named [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], or [name_f]Peggy[/name_f], or [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and it doesn’t make these names less “human”.
[name_u]Rex[/name_u] is believed a dog’s name because of the tv show, I think there are the same amount of dogs called [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Toby[/name_u].
And for the record, I think [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_u]Rex[/name_u] make a lovely sibset.

I’m a sub and had a [name_u]Rex[/name_u] and [name_u]Max[/name_u] in a 3rd grade class, it worked just fine on a real kid. Same class had a Mau ( which I think was the word for cat in [name_u]Egypt[/name_u])

[name_u]Rex[/name_u] has a history of being one of those “go to” dog names in books, articles, stories, etc. So to many people, it is definitely a dog name. As much as you like the name, that is the reality. [name_m]Just[/name_m] how much does that concern you (and your other half) is the question.

I don’t think people would be rude enough to say anything negative once meeting a baby [name_u]Rex[/name_u]. Often times seeing a name on a person adds a different perspective to the name (in this case the image).

It’s not my style, but I think it’s fine. If I met a [name_u]Rex[/name_u], I’d initially think hmm that’s a dog’s name. But then I’d move on.

Best!

I think it’s wearable, especially since I’ve heard of a few people who’ve named their child [name_u]Rex[/name_u]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it seems like a “dog name” to some people, you should go for it because after your baby is born and is named [name_u]Rex[/name_u] it’ll probably lose that status.

Still usable on a person.

It would be fine but could cause problems later on. I know someone named [name_f]Tia[/name_f] who was bullied badly for having a ‘dog’ name, and I feel a [name_u]Rex[/name_u] may face this problem

I’m on the dog side too

I actually think [name_u]Rex[/name_u] is perfectly usable. I am a big dog person but have never known an actual dog named [name_u]Rex[/name_u]. I do know a 60-something year old man named [name_u]Rex[/name_u], and this is his given name. It’s not strange at all to me.

I think its definitely wearable! I know a little boy (who is 5 and has brothers named [name_m]Cash[/name_m] and [name_u]Cruz[/name_u]) named [name_u]Rex[/name_u], and I don’t know any dogs named [name_u]Rex[/name_u] .

I love it and think [name_u]Rex[/name_u] is definitely wearable!

If you look up [name_u]Rex[/name_u] on the social security name lists you’ll find [name_u]Rex[/name_u] has a long history of usage and was a top 200 name the better part of a century ago. It’s ready for revival! As another commenter pointed out, [name_u]Max[/name_u] is similar in that way and has also been used extensively for pets. I think once your son is here no one will imagine him with any other name… [name_u]Rex[/name_u] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is an amazing style match.

I love [name_u]Rex[/name_u]!!!

For me it is too tied to being a dog’s name. It’s on par with Fido to me…

I have a cousin named [name_u]Rex[/name_u], and the family previously had a dog named [name_m]Jake[/name_m].
While there were some jokes that the son had the dog name, and the dog had the boys name, people generally get over it pretty fast. Once it’s attached to a little person it doesn’t feel like a dog’s name so much.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] my anecdotal 2 cents! :slight_smile:

It actually reminds me of the dinosaur from [name_m]Toy[/name_m] [name_u]Story[/name_u] more than anything else.