Ridiculous names at mothers group

[name]Hi[/name] everyone!
I just started going to mothers group and I have noticed some really ridiculous names! There was one woman whose child was called [name]Rainbow[/name]… Yep!! [name]RAINBOW[/name]!! I was just wondering if any of you have had an experience with some really weird children’s names!!

That is what my brother would like to name a girl. sigh My daughters middle name is [name]Rain[/name], so that furthers my irritation. lol

I actually think [name]Rainbow[/name] is suitable name.

When I worked in retail there was a regular customer who has a daughter named [name]Rainbow[/name]. He other daughters are [name]Princess[/name] and [name]Butterfly[/name]. Her sons names all have something to do with fire, [name]Blaze[/name], [name]Flame[/name] and another some who’s name I can’t remember (which is bugging me because I know it!)

In Australia [name]Rainbow[/name] really is not a name you would expect to hear. If someone told me they were planning on calling their baby [name]Rainbow[/name] I would think it was a joke!

I knew a sibset; (youngest to oldest) A a r o n, F l o, J u d a h and… A i o l i. Like the salad dressing. (The spaces are for google search reasons.:slight_smile:

Oh God… I thought this one was a joke at first! I was sure NO [name]ONE[/name] would name their kid this, but its on their FB page and I’ve seen the birth announcements + other ppl saying it on said FB page, so its got to be true (or an elaborate scam!)

Woman had two girls: [name]Princess[/name] DKNY (that’s Dikini, as bikini with D) and Babydoll … oh what was the other one… it was a perfume name! [name]Gucci[/name], [name]Dior[/name]… something like that!

She explained: Their first name is her ASPIRATIONS for her children ([name]Princess[/name], Babydoll) and the second is her favourite perfume!

I HOPING its just some pretty weird “cover” names for privacy reason…! I’m not convinced!

Another one is a mum who used to live on the same street as me - her eldest was in my eldest babygroup and although she was a perfectly pleasant girl, her name taste was pretty… questionable! She had three daughters: [name]Shakira[/name], [name]Beyonce[/name] & [name]Rhianna[/name] - I met her about 6-8 months ago and she was pregnant with a boy who she claimed was going to be called Tinchy! I’m hoping not O_O

There is a child named [name]Talon[/name] at my daughter’s school. I think parents who do this think they are being cool, or it’s a great joke, and they fail to think about the child. [name]Little[/name] [name]Rainbow[/name] might grow up to be very smart and go a long way, so don’t write her off because mom and dad are a bit different in their naming ideas. I knew a [name]Timber[/name] Wulff whose siblings all had normal names. I think her mom regretted giving in to her husband’s sense of humor. I haven’t seen her in years, as we moved away, but I wonder if she’s considering changing her name*. I went to school with a [name]Meadow[/name] Starchild. She loved her first name, but her middle name had to go. She was waiting for her 18th birthday to change it legally to something less out there.

*There are a few teenage nameberries who indicate they are looking to rename themselves. I often wonder if she’s one of them.

[name]Susan[/name]

Oops - forgot to add one of my daughter’s classmates is named Dizzy. Not [name]Desmond[/name], or something else you could use Dizzy as a nickname for, just Dizzy. Not a name I would give a child, but maybe his parents are fans of Dizzy [name]Gillespie[/name]? His name was actually [name]John[/name] according to wikipedia :slight_smile:

[name]Susan[/name]

I think part of the problem is that some people live too close to Hollywood & some people live too far.

[name]Talon[/name] is a cute boy name.
[name]Rainbow[/name] is a stripper name.
There has to be a happy medium.

I can’t see a [name]Doctor[/name] [name]Rainbow[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. Or a lawyer, politician, but she could be a meteorologist. But jokes aside, [name]Rainbow[/name] is a name that could hinder her when she tries to get a job. It’s not a name that once sounded ridiculous twenty years ago but now is totally accepted in society (i.e. [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Piper[/name]). It’s still going to be a cause of pain for her. [name]Rainbow[/name] looks like a name that a girl on Sixteen and Pregnant or Teen Moms would name their daughter (or [name]Jamie[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]).

The worst appellation I know personally is a [name]MyKenzie[/name]. No, it’s not said like [name]Mackenzie[/name], it’s said like My [name]Kenzie[/name]. She’s fourteen and despises it for its childish feel (I only hear a mom calling it out to a five year old) and pronunciation/spelling issues. She plans to change it to [name]Mackenzie[/name].

I know a girl with 4 sons named T a l o n, T a g g a r t, T a y t o n, and T r a v e n. (sorry, spaces to prevent her from googling their names and finding this)

They sound so infantilizing to me…imagine a grown man introducing himself as Tayton. It sounds childish, and the name lacks any sort of meaning at all. Is just a mash of syllables.

I actually like [name]Rainbow[/name]. So…

Lieutenant [name]Ford[/name] from Stargate [name]Atlantis[/name] is played by a lovely Plains Cree First Nation gentleman from [name]Canada[/name] whose name is [name]Rainbow[/name] [name]Sun[/name] Francks. I say kudos to him for rocking it! (and I have been known to point out his name in the credits to my husband after he’s turned down such gems as [name]Narnia[/name] and [name]Oberon[/name]…“see babe? I could be worse!”)

I’ve always thought the name [name]Poppy[/name] was a bit out there. Because of the sound (it sounds really nicknamey) and the connections (like popcorn). But I guess a lot of people like it, and I know it’s an established name. [name]Rainbow[/name] isn’t so bad, since the child could go by [name]Rain[/name] or [name]Raina[/name].

I knew a [name]Windy[/name] and a [name]Breeze[/name]. I’ve heard of other unusal names: Yes, [name]Truth[/name], Remedie.

My niece was nearly named [name]Poppy[/name]. I like the name, has a very English ring to it (and our mother is English, so I’m drawn to a lot of those names).

A lot of my mother’s groups seemed to be filled with children named with currently stylish names: [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Ada[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Isaac[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name]. And that’s just from one group! No bad names there.

I think a lot of people would baulk at [name]Reverie[/name], but I love it and would use it as a middle.

I went to school with a girl for a few months called [name]Cinnamon[/name] Waterfall. Her parents were both doctors, I believe, and their last name was [name]Smith[/name]. [name]Cinnamon[/name] Waterfall [name]Smith[/name]. Her younger brother had a normal name - I think it was [name]Jack[/name] or [name]Joshua[/name]?

While it would not be my choice, I don’t think it is the worst by far. I would actually rather see [name]Rainbow[/name] [name]Smith[/name] than:

[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Harlow[/name]
[name]Carson[/name]
Aniston
Naveah
[name]Campbell[/name]
Surname etc…

My friend teaches high school, and has students named Sixx (her mother’s sixth child), Lemonjello (yes, the rumors are true) and Lasagna. LASAGNA. The girl apparently has a pretty good sense of humor, though, and likes to make jokes along the lines of “Hey, Mrs. ___, guess what my mom’s making for dinner tonight? LASAGNA, MY [name]FAVORITE[/name].” No idea whether or not she plans to change it, but I give her kudos for making light of her own name.

I know a kid who is the seventh child in a family of about 10 kids, which in itself seems like a hard way to grow up…his name is [name]Seven[/name]. All of the other kids have real names. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he is pretty messed up as an adult