Riley for a boy?

What are your thoughts on [name_u]Riley[/name_u] for a boy’s name? And thoughts on first and last name starting with a R…[name_u]Riley[/name_u] and our last name both have the long “I” sound. Thanks in advance!

I think [name_u]Riley[/name_u] R-surname-with-long-I wouldn’t be a great combo. Too much.

1. One of my childhood best friends was a boy named [name_u]Riley[/name_u], so for me the name is all boy; however, it’s more popular for girls now (in the U.S., it’s No. 22 for girls and 225 for boys). So your kiddo could expect some confusion, some people assuming [name_u]Riley[/name_u] is a girl—but that shouldn’t stop you from using the name if you like it.

2. Depends on your last name, but I’m almost always a fan of alliteration. So cool. And memorable! Something like [name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_m]Ryland[/name_m] would be a bit much, but [name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_u]Rice[/name_u], for example, sounds fine to me.

I know five [name_u]Riley[/name_u]'s, two of which are men who are over the age of 20. To me, I find it much better on a boy. I don’t think [name_u]Riley[/name_u] would sound bad with a long "I " surname. It’s a great name!

I much, much prefer [name_u]Riley[/name_u] on a boy, so I’m a fan lol. I think that you’d definitely have to keep in mind how popular it is for girls right now, but if that doesn’t bother you, then go for it. As far as the last name thing, I agree with @ceryle.

I think [name_u]Riley[/name_u] is one of those perfectly unisex names…for a boy I prefer the spelling [name_u]Riley[/name_u], and for a girl I think [name_f]Ryleigh[/name_f] is more feminine.

On the last name–I think two ‘R’ names would have been fine, but the long-‘I’ might push it over the edge.

Since moving to [name_f]England[/name_f] it has becomes apparent that [name_u]Riley[/name_u] is a boy’s name here, its very popular!