Riley?

My friend is due the same time as I am, and she just found out she is having a girl. She is going to name her [name]Riley[/name] [name]Jo[/name]. Personnally I think this is a terrible name (not that I would ever tell her that), what do you think?

I do not think it is “terrible”, just terribly popular :wink:

Oh no, [name]Riley[/name]'s not to bad but as a whole name with [name]Jo[/name] it looks and sounds unfinished could you suggest perhaps [name]Riley[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] which isnt quite as bad:)

[name]Riley[/name] is ok. I quite like it.
It’s the [name]Jo[/name] that throws me off. It makes me think of [name]Cindy[/name]-[name]Lou[/name] or [name]Billy[/name]-[name]Joe[/name] or something like that. It’s very unisex too. Usual a unisex first name is paired with a middle that makes the gender of the child more clear like [name]Riley[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] for a boy or [name]Riley[/name] [name]Marie[/name] for a girl.

I wouldn’t use it, but it could be a lot worse . . .
Is she open to suggestions or is she set in stone?
If she’s set in stone, the good news is that you have a chance to make your peace with it before the baby is born :slight_smile:
If she’s still open to suggestions, now is the time to act fast (and let nameberry help you)!

[name]Josephine[/name] is a good alternative to [name]Jo[/name]. So is [name]Johanna[/name]!

[name]Riley[/name] is a little bit harder to find a replacement for . . . but some other unisex names with a similar sound that are better options are:
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]

Or maybe she could be talked into a different type of name that has a cute, modern-sounding nickname instead:
[name]Caroline[/name] (nn [name]Carlie[/name])
[name]Aurora[/name] (nn [name]Rory[/name])
[name]Milena[/name] or [name]Millicent[/name] (nn [name]Miley[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maisy[/name])

I think it’s a terrible name, too. Oh well, at least it’s not spelled Riyleeigh, or something…

I agree that [name]Riley[/name] is a fine name, it is the [name]Jo[/name] part that makes it “terrible”. It sounds like such a country name, and my friend is not a country girl. I know she is pretty set on [name]Riley[/name] and the [name]Jo[/name] part came because she wants to honor her father, who’s name is [name]Joseph[/name]. I will have to ask her if she has thought of [name]Riley[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Riley[/name] [name]Johanna[/name], those are much better than [name]Riley[/name] [name]Jo[/name].

^ I think [name]Josephine[/name] would be a more fitting tribute to her father since it would include his whole name.

I also went to school with a girl who’s father was called [name]Joe[/name]/[name]Joseph[/name] and she ws named [name]Joelle[/name] ([name]Jo[/name]-elle) in honour of him.

[name]Riley[/name] [name]Joelle[/name] would be quite pretty and more clearly feminine.

On the bright side, she’s spelling it [name]Riley[/name], and I think it flows well. :slight_smile:

If she’s not set on the name, she may also like:

[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Blakeley[/name]
[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Carlin[/name]
[name]Connelly[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Darien[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Flannery[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Hollis[/name]
Isaly
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name] (nn [name]Romy[/name])
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Sheridan[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]

Best wishes to you both!

P.S. [name]How[/name] are you doing with boys’ names, Mama?

Take care!

We have a few contenders. We are finding out the gender on [name]Monday[/name]. If it is a girl we are set with [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] (maybe [name]Finnley[/name], not sure yet), and if it’s a boy we will continue the search. Right now we like [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Finley[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Hudson[/name] and [name]Jett[/name]. I can’t wait for [name]Monday[/name], we are so excited to find out.

I am not a fan of [name]Riley[/name], Furthermore [name]Riley[/name] [name]Jo[/name] can be pontential teasing material, like “Hey [name]Yo[/name], I am [name]Riley[/name] [name]Jo[/name]”

sorry that is what comes to my mind!

We have a few contenders. We are finding out the gender on [name]Monday[/name]. If it is a girl we are set with [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] (maybe [name]Finnley[/name], not sure yet), and if it’s a boy we will continue the search. Right now we like [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Finley[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Hudson[/name] and [name]Jett[/name]. I can’t wait for [name]Monday[/name], we are so excited to find out.[/quote]

We find out [name]Monday[/name] too, if we’re having a girl or a boy. If it’s a girl, it’s our third one! I like the name [name]Riley[/name], but I am not the biggest fan of unisex names. It is becoming quite the popular girl name too.

[name]Riley[/name] [name]Jo[/name]'s pretty bad. I kinda think [name]Riley[/name]'s cute, but anything with a [name]Jo[/name] as a middle name is terrible, yeah.

Help me out! Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

I like [name]Riley[/name]. I have a cousin I’ve never met name [name]Lindsey[/name] [name]Jo[/name], I always thought my name, [name]Lyndsay[/name] Jenness was way better than hers. [name]Riley[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] would be quite pretty, I think.