River or Forest?

We both like nature names,and we can’t chose between [name]River[/name] and [name]Forest[/name].[name]Forest[/name] gives me a quiet and wise feeling,but it sounds old and may be related to [name]Forest[/name] Gump.[name]River[/name] sounds cheerful and creative,but I’m afraid it’s less formal and a little cliched for a nature theme.
We are also thinking of [name]Kai[/name],not sure to use as first name or middle name,though.Please also give us some suggestion on this:[name]Forest[/name] [name]Kai[/name],[name]River[/name] [name]Kai[/name] or [name]Kai[/name] forest,[name]Kai[/name] [name]River[/name]?
Thank you!:slight_smile:

I’m not a huge fan of [name]Kai[/name] because in NZ it’s Maori for food! So I read [name]River[/name] [name]Kai[/name] (which would be my favourite combination) as river food… I know it’s listed on Nameberry as being Hawaiian for sea, which is cool, but then I read river sea and it feels like too much water! So, as you might have realised by now I’m not crazy about [name]Kai[/name] :slight_smile:

I do like [name]Forest[/name] but I agree it might get caught up with [name]Forest[/name] Gump (if he’s a sporty kid I’m sure “run [name]Forest[/name]!” will be yelled out with much delight). It is an older name than a lot of people realise I think; [name]Eleanor[/name] Glanville named her son [name]Forrest[/name] back in the 1600s. I prefer [name]Frost[/name] to [name]Forest[/name]…

I love [name]River[/name] though! [name]One[/name] of my all time favourite boys names :slight_smile:

I much prefer [name]Forest[/name] to [name]River[/name] as I feel it can go two different ways – it can be seen as a patrician, buttoned-up surname name or a nature name, while [name]River[/name] to me is pretty purely hippie-ish nature name. Yes, many people will, upon hearing the name, say, “Like [name]Forest[/name] Gump?” and you may very well get tired of that.

On [name]Kai[/name], I know many people love it but I have a personal aversion to it. To me, it sounds very surfer boy or even surfer girl. But this is speaking as an individual and not as a mistress of Nameberry, so don’t give that opinion any extra official weight.

If you like nature names but would consider something that goes at the issue less directly, a few ideas from a blog I wrote that hasn’t run yet (maybe tomorrow) are:

[name]Cormac[/name] – tree trunk
[name]Danner[/name] – dweller near the fig tree
[name]Lennox[/name] – elm grove
[name]Laramie[/name] – canopy of leafy bows
[name]Mead[/name] – from the meadow
or check out the list here: Secret Nature Names Bring the Outside In | Nameberry

Yes…I agree there will be too much water…And I prefer [name]River[/name] to [name]Kai[/name],too.

I love both but prefer [name]River[/name] over [name]Forest[/name], however…
[name]Forest[/name] is more of a “real” name. Names like [name]Forest[/name], [name]Drake[/name], and [name]Glen[/name] are naturey but will be taken seriously. Names like [name]River[/name], [name]Fox[/name], and [name]Leaf[/name] are “hippy-dippy” flower-child names. I love [name]Rivers[/name] because just adding the S makes it sound more serious, as people will assume it’s a surname name

[name]Love[/name] [name]Kai[/name] but it has the same issue of seriousness. I’d only use it in the middle

As is, I like [name]Forest[/name] [name]Kai[/name] but [name]Rivers[/name] [name]Kai[/name] is my favorite

I actually really love [name]Forest[/name]. There is the Gump risk, which is really up to you whether that would bother you. It doesn’t really bother me as I’ve seen the name in other contexts. I think it’s handsome, and as others mentioned, it seems a little more - broad. [name]River[/name] I think has a very specific image, but [name]Forest[/name] could work on a multitude of men.

I like [name]Kai[/name] too but it’s feeling rather trendy at the moment, and rather different from the rest of your taste.

I prefer [name]River[/name]. I like [name]Forest[/name], but I just like [name]River[/name] a lot more. It feels calm, serene, but could be strong and fierce…like a river. I’ve known a [name]River[/name] too and he’s very cool and works in the professional world with no problems at all. I’ve also met Lakes, Leafs, Streams…etc…and they liked their names more than the Forests and more established nature names I’ve met.

I think [name]Kai[/name] with [name]River[/name] is a bit too much water.

I love both but I like [name]Forest[/name] on a girl only. I knew a nice young man named [name]Forrest[/name] once though. [name]River[/name] I want to use for my first child. So I’d pick that.

[name]Kai[/name] river sounds like a river in existence - I know there are movies called “the bridge over the river Kwai”

I prefer [name]Forest[/name] over [name]River[/name]. I think [name]Forest[/name] just has more of a masculine sound, plus the [name]Forest[/name]'s I knew growing up were very nice, focused guys.

I’m not a big fan of [name]Kai[/name]. It’s just too trendy to me and I think I may have too many tv shows/movies where the stoner surfer’s name is [name]Kai[/name]. I think [name]Kai[/name] should be in the middle name position, if used at all.

That being said, I prefer [name]Forest[/name] [name]Kai[/name] to [name]River[/name] [name]Kai[/name]. As the others said, I think [name]River[/name] [name]Kai[/name] is just too much water.

I prefer [name]Forest[/name] because – as pps have pointed out – it is a more serious and established name. My late father-in-law’s name was the unusual combination [name]Forest[/name] [name]Glen[/name].

[name]River[/name] has become one of my favorite names for a boy or a girl. The complexity behind the meaning: how rivers run through and over things, how they wear stones smooth, how they can affect change in the landscape over time…I just love it all. Plus I really like the way the name sounds & looks.
I [name]LOVE[/name] the suggestions of the names [name]Laramie[/name] & [name]Mead[/name] that [name]Pam[/name] mentioned above! I also really enjoy the nature-ish names [name]Reid[/name] (or [name]Reed[/name]) and [name]Leif[/name] for boys. I am not a fan of [name]Kai[/name]. I also get the surfer dude image–I knew a guy named [name]Kai[/name] and he sort of fit that profile, actually!
Best,
[name]Leslie[/name]

I love [name]River[/name] so that’s my pick! but as other’s have said I would use a different middle than [name]Kai[/name] because I also feel that its to much water for one name.

Actually we chose [name]Kai[/name] to honor my grandfather.He’s a [name]German[/name] and [name]Kai[/name] doesn’t mean sea in [name]German[/name].

Actually, [name]Kai[/name] means dock or pier (like quay) in [name]German[/name]; the [name]German[/name] for sea or ocean is meer or see, or…ocean.

[name]Kai[/name] means sea in Hawaiian.

I like [name]Rivers[/name] [name]Kai[/name]. I prefer [name]Rivers[/name] over [name]River[/name].