Roald

[name]How[/name] does everyone pronounce [name]Roald[/name]? I always pronounced it like rolled, but according to the site it’s supposed to be pronounced like ro-all I THINK. I’m pretty bad at reading pronunciation guides! We’re thinking of using it for a middle name if our [name]January[/name] baby is a boy. I don’t think it’s a big deal though since it’s the middle name but I’d really like to know what people think.

I always thought it was Raold, but yes [name]Ro[/name]-all does make sense as well. I htink back to one of my fave books as a little girl whose author was [name]Roald[/name] Dahl, and remember people saying “[name]Roll[/name] [name]Doll[/name]” - but i thought they were just being lazy and not pronouncing the “d”.

Great middle name idea! [name]Don[/name]'t know i would be so keen on it as a first though!

Use it if you love it though!
[name]Jac[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input! We’re thinking of [name]Roald[/name] Dahl when we name this little guy. I’m thinking [name]Lenore[/name] (from [name]Poe[/name]) will be the middle name if it’s a girl. BTW, I love the names your kids have!! This is our first but we’re totally hoping to follow in your literary footsteps!

Oh, you’re such a doll! Thanks!
[name]Roald[/name] Dahl is an amazing person to name after your child after, so kudos on my part! [name]Lenore[/name] is beautiful as well! I always thought [name]Poe[/name] would be a fun middle name but maybe a little too teletubbies hehe.
What are the first names you’re thinking about?

For a girl we like [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] or maybe [name]Juniper[/name]. Boys… That’s harder. We were all set on [name]Tristan[/name] but the first people we mentioned it to had such a bad reaction that now we’re not sure on it. We also like [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] but they’re both Twilight names and we’re not in love with either of them. :-/

I’ve always pronounced [name]Roald[/name] as “[name]RO[/name]-ald” and my baby name books have this pronunciation as well. It’s a rarely used gem so I’m glad you’re considering it for a middle name. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Agatha[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name]. Personally, I would only choose [name]Juniper[/name] for a middle name I think.