Robin middle name + Neele question

These are really two different questions but I don’t want to make two posts. Feel free to only answer one if you don’t have an opinion about the other. (Also I love that there’s a gender neutral name category now!)

Firstly I’m looking for middle names that go with Robin preferably something soft sounding but I’m open to any ideas. I have Robin Sasha and Robin Ashley on my list but I’m not sold.

Is Robin Ashley too close to Robin (of) Loxley?

• Yes, it’s too close
  • Yes, but only after you pointed it out
  • No, it’s not too close

0 voters

Secondly how is Neele perceived where you live? Masculine, feminine, unisex? Would it be a “weird” name where you live? I read somewhere that in French nee le means born on or something. (Ignore that the name will be shown pink it’s unisex.)

Congrats on the first #gender-neutral-names post! :grin:

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] does not make me think [name_u]Robin[/name_u] of [name_u]Loxley[/name_u] at all. It’s handsome and definitely has that softer sound you’re after. I think [name_u]Robin[/name_u] of [name_u]Loxley[/name_u] is much more familiar as [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood anyway.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]! Maybe…

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Pasha[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Seeley[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Shea[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Marley[/name_u]

I’d assume it was a surname name, unisex but leaning masculine here in the UK (where surname names are more commonly masculine), plus it sounds like [name_u]Neil[/name_u]. In the US, I would say more solidly unisex.

Née is the feminine past participle of “to be born”, so yes: if you said “Elle est née le 28 août” that would mean that she was born on Aug 28. But it’s two words, pronounced very differently, not a name at all and I don’t think would be perceived as weird by [name_u]French[/name_u] speakers for that reason.

2 Likes

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] wouldn’t make me think of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] of [name_u]Loxley[/name_u] at all - they sound different to me! [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] is brilliant btw!

A few [name_u]Robin[/name_u] middles

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Dash[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Marlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Tay[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Oakley[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Altair[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]

[name_f]Neele[/name_f] feels like a surnamey choice to me - unisex, but leaning masculine (as [name_f]Katinka[/name_f] says, that’s more common in the UK and because it sounds like Neil). I think it could work as a unisex name though :slight_smile: Neeley might be a similar option - actually [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Neeley would be cool

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]. How about …

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Fifer[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Solaris[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ever[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Merritt[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Sora[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Callaway[/name_u]

In my home country [name_f]Neele[/name_f] is strictly feminine (pronounced neh-luh), from an [name_f]English[/name_f] perspective I would assume the other way (As mentioned above, due to its similarity to Neil).

1 Like

I voted on the first that I think [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] is not too [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood! I think it’s a great combo, though I do prefer [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] a bit, myself.
I’ve never seen the name [name_f]Neele[/name_f] before. I think I’d assume it was a variation on Neil/Nil and thus is leans masculine to me, whereas Nila—pronounced knee-la—is feminine in my experience. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps!

1 Like

I’d assume [name_f]Neele[/name_f] is a feminine form of [name_u]Neal[/name_u] / [name_u]Neil[/name_u]. I think it sounds really quite nice for any gender—with any spelling. [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is wonderful. I love love that!

1 Like

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] is lovely!

[name_f]Neele[/name_f] to me is masculine, a variation on Neil/Neal that I would assume would be to honour someone with the surname [name_f]Neele[/name_f]. It doesn’t strike me as feminine at all even with the e ending

1 Like

I’m from the Netherlands. I’ve never met anyone named [name_f]Neele[/name_f]. I see [name_f]Neele[/name_f] as a feminine name. The spelling looks a bit unusual to me. Besides that the name doesn’t seem weird to me because I assume it is a short form of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], like Neeltje. I think most people here would view [name_f]Neele[/name_f] the same.

1 Like