Rockabilly meets French New Orleans

This is the best way I can think to describe my taste in names. My husband and I are thinking about ttc number 3 (and our last). Of course we have a boy’s name already picked out, but girl names seem to be more difficult. We tend to like feminie girl names that also have some roots. Something decadent yet strong. Picture a beautiful girl that wouldn’t be afraid to get her hands dirty. The rockabilly names we tend to like are simple like [name]June[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Analee[/name] ( I know a lot of people have a problem with this one), etc. The more french style New Orleans names we tend to like are [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Delphine[/name], Evangline, etc. We also like [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name] …not sure where these fits into the mix. Can anyone think of any other names that fit into this category? Thanks in advance for helping me brainstorm.

[name]Desiree[/name], [name]Emmylou[/name], [name]Pearl[/name]…I love [name]Claudia[/name], though!

I love [name]Pearl[/name] but not sure if I could use it as a fn. Although, I think it is darling mn. I also like [name]Delilah[/name] but wonder with the surge in [name]Lila[/name] whether it would get old. [name]Emmylou[/name] is very cute and if I heard this on someone else’s kid I would think it was adorable. But it might just be too “down home” for me. Same thing as [name]Jolene[/name]. I tend to like a tad bit more frill. [name]Hence[/name] the reason I put the French New Orleans in here. Let me know if you can think of any that have a bit of both styles.

[name]Claudia[/name] is a more recent obsession of mine. I can’t put my finger on the style of this name. Let me know what you think of when you hear a [name]Claudia[/name]. My first reaction might be a connection to Interview with Vampire…which may be my New Orleans connection :slight_smile:

hmmmm how about:

[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Scarlette[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Lake[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Maelle[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Lacey[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Antoinette[/name]
[name]Mercedes[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name]

The short rocker-type names

[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Jessa[/name]
[name]Leith[/name]
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Julie[/name]
[name]Jill[/name]
[name]Maura[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Blanche[/name]
[name]Avril[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Nola[/name] (how much more new orleans can you get than NO,LA) :slight_smile:

A few more longer/french sounding names
[name]Eloise[/name] /[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name] /[name]Mirabella[/name] /[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Nadine[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] / [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name] (not really french sounding, but I thought you might like it)
[name]Annette[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] / [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] / [name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Claudine[/name] / [name]Claudette[/name] / [name]Claudie[/name] (has a bit more french feel than claudia)
[name]Cornelia[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name] / [name]Estella[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Felicia[/name]

Thanks Jenevievem for all of the suggestions!

[name]Evangeline[/name] - [name]Love[/name], [name]Love[/name] this one. But, my husband is Jewish and I understand it is a christian name. Anyone know the story behind this?
[name]Scarlette[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this one too. This is my daughter’s name :slight_smile:
[name]Ruby[/name] - [name]Love[/name] but don’t think I can do with [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] - This is nice and could just go with [name]Eve[/name] despite the popularity. I like the long frilly with also the option of going for just a simple nn.
[name]Georgiana[/name] - Prefer [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] - This one is really growing on me
[name]Clementine[/name] - I like this one too but husband has already nixed it.
[name]Vivienne[/name] - I love this. Although, I have a [name]Julian[/name] already. [name]Do[/name] you think that is too much?
[name]Dahlia[/name] - like this one. husband already nixed.
[name]Antoinette[/name] & [name]Charlotte[/name] - don’t think I can do another et ending.
[name]Corinna[/name] - I saw another post with [name]Cordelia[/name]. Loved it. Husband already nixed it.

Thanks Crunchymama for your suggestions. Here are the ones that stand out to me:

• [name]Bianca[/name] (although i am not sure if this is too fusy or cute)
  • [name]Daphne[/name] (this one is really growing on me. do you think it goes with [name]Scarlett[/name] & [name]Julian[/name]?)
  • [name]Claudie[/name] (i love this but my husband only likes [name]Claudia[/name]. I guess i could use it as “my” nn :slight_smile:
  • [name]Beatrice[/name] (not sure if this goes with [name]Scarlett[/name] & [name]Julian[/name] either but I do really like it).

OK, so I went to the New Orleans Times-Picayune website & looked at obituaries for a selection. Sorry if that’s morbid.
[name]Rochelle[/name]
[name]Constance[/name] (x2)
[name]Genevia[/name]
[name]Mercedes[/name]
[name]Mildred[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] (there’s also a [name]Josie[/name])
[name]Alberta[/name]
[name]Flory[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] (this is a real N.O. name)
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name]
[name]Gertie[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Augustine[/name]
[name]Louvinia[/name]
[name]Mamie[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Marian[/name]
[name]Bernice[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]

I love [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Josephine[/name] - really, I love most of your names.

A couple other ‘[name]Louisiana[/name]’ names that come to my mind:
[name]Ollie[/name] [name]Mae[/name] - double first name.
[name]Babette[/name] (prn bah-bet)
[name]Acadia[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Marie[/name] (prn mah-ree)
[name]Rosella[/name]

I can’t really decide about [name]Bianca[/name] either. I used to really like the name (mostly from [name]Shakespeare[/name]) but lately I feel like it doesn’t quite fit in to my family and I don’t know if I like the sound of it in general. Like you said, yes, maybe a bit fussy

[name]Daphne[/name] works with you other two kids to me. [name]Lemon[/name] mentioned that she thought [name]Daphne[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] were a little close for me to use together. I agree there. So, I feel like (since I think [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] work so well together) [name]Daphne[/name] would be a great fit for you!

[name]Claudie[/name] is definitely an option for a nn of [name]Claudia[/name].

I like [name]Beatrice[/name] too. It may be a tad too British/proper sounding to be [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Julian[/name]'s sister… but I can also see it working just fine. Sometimes I think sib-sets can be created-- they don’t always sound ideal on paper, but basically anything “works” once you start using it together right?