Roger or Alistair?

Hello everyone,

I am new to Nameberry and would love some honest advice please!

We are expecting our second son, due in [name_f]September[/name_f] and we have narrowed it down to two names; [name_m]Roger[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m].

Our son’s name is [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and I love that his name is strong, yet gentle and that it’s old fashioned but not heard of too often.

I am seriously stuck. Ideally I’d like the name to be distinctive and distinguished. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband really likes [name_m]Roger[/name_m] and although I like it too I’m just not sure whether the reasons as to why [name_m]Roger[/name_m] is a distinctive name are positive reasons, if that makes sense?

I look forward to some advice please - it’s truly appreciated.

I really like the name [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. I think it goes perfectly with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. :slight_smile: [name_m]Roger[/name_m] is also cute though and feels a bit more unique (at least where I am). [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] does feel a bit more “distinguished” to me.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

[name_f]May[/name_f] I please ask where you’re from? You did mention that [name_m]Roger[/name_m] sounds a bit more unique which does appeal to me about this name tbh :wink: I do like the fact that a young [name_m]Roger[/name_m] would be a name to stand out in a crowd these days but I don’t want him to stand out for the wrong reasons. Like, is it a bit too stodgy and middle aged sounding??

I definitely don’t want him to be one of many others with the same name and as far as I know, neither [name_m]Roger[/name_m] or [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] appear in the top 100 … which is why I am torn. I wonder which name would age better?

Like you, I also like the distinguished feel of [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]!

I’m from [name_u]Texas[/name_u] :slight_smile:
I don’t know anyone by either name but [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] feels more familiar because of its similarity to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. I would be surprised to meet a little [name_m]Roger[/name_m] here. I don’t think either name sounds stodgy or middle-aged really because of all the old fashioned names coming back in style. [name_m]Roger[/name_m] feels ahead of the trend. Either name works great with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. [name_m]Roger[/name_m] feels a bit more friendly and down-to-earth to me and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] feels a bit more polished if that makes sense.

Thank you!! I really appreciate your kind words and advice. Now you’ve commented that [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] pairs up better with [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], I must say that I do agree :slight_smile:

Yep, totally makes sense :slight_smile: I’m with you on that one - [name_m]Roger[/name_m] definitely feels more friendly and down to earth. I quite like the sophistication of [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. Not too sure about potential nicknames yet for this one but that’s a different topic of conversation altogether.
Thank you again for your honest feedback all the way from [name_u]Texas[/name_u] :smiley: I’m in Australia and so pleased that you don’t find [name_m]Roger[/name_m] too daggy! It’s actually really reassuring to hear that you view it as being ‘ahead of the trend’. This is a tough one! I’ve got a lot to think about :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve read [name_m]Alec[/name_m] as a nn for [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] if you don’t want him to be an [name_m]Al[/name_m] or [name_u]Allie[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

Oh, I do like the name [name_m]Alec[/name_m] :blush: The most beautiful thing (for me) about this nickname is that it was my grandpa’s too!
You got it in one - I really wouldn’t want to shorten [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] to [name_m]Al[/name_m] or [name_f]Ally[/name_f]

1 Like

I also like the Scottish version [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] with the nn [name_f]Dair[/name_f]. But it sounds like [name_m]Alec[/name_m] would be perfect for you. :blush:

I think [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] is sooo handsome! It goes perfectly with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], too.
I really like that [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] is uncommon and unexpected, but still familiar. I think it also hits that sweet spot of strong, yet gentle. [name_m]Alec[/name_m] seems like it’s the perfect nickname for you too!

[name_m]Roger[/name_m] is a nice name, but it feels more dated rather than old fashioned, if that makes sense!

I really like [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]! To me it sounds handsome and familiar without being overly popular/common.

[name_m]Roger[/name_m] feels super-dated to me, unfortunately. But I’m in the UK so maybe it’s perceived differently in other countries.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal vote for [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. It’s very handsome, charming, old fashioned, dapper…all of those good qualities that [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] has. It’s fairly simple, yet rather unique. The spelling may trip people up occasionally, but they’ll figure it out. [name_m]Roger[/name_m] on the other hand is also an unique choice. I bet that there are very few babies called [name_m]Roger[/name_m] in the 21st century. It does go pretty well w/[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] too. I just personally think that [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] is nicer.

I guess just let the baby tell you what his name is. :grin:

I think [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] works better with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m].

@adelaide_pearl [name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry! :blush:

I’m thrilled to see someone considering [name_m]Roger[/name_m]! I definitely agree that it’s ahead of the trend and I do think it will come back. It’s one of the more suave and distinguished feeling names of its generation, and that two-syllable, er-ending shape is very cool right now. [name_m]Roger[/name_m] feels like an underappreciated member of that group!

[name_m]Alistair[/name_m] is very handsome too. I know three little ones under 5 (I’m in [name_f]England[/name_f]), and no [name_m]Rogers[/name_m], but I must be in an [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] bubble because it’s really not popular. I don’t like [name_m]Al[/name_m]/[name_u]Allie[/name_u] either, but [name_m]Alec[/name_m] is cool and meaningful to boot.

Much as I appreciate your love for [name_m]Roger[/name_m], I’m also going to cast my vote for [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] really do make a perfect pair, and I feel like [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] fits your brief a little better.

Have you considered [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]? Or even [name_m]Rufus[/name_m] :heart_eyes: (not for everyone I know!)

I really, really love [name_m]Roger[/name_m] so it gets my vote. It’s very handsome and friendly but so underrated.

1 Like

This Is really tough! I like [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] a lot but [name_m]Roger[/name_m] is so familiar yet so unusual and old fashioned that it just feels cool

I have such a soft spot for [name_m]Roger[/name_m] so that gets my vote. Though [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] is very dashing as well

I love [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], I think it’s such a handsome name! I think it would be a perfect fit for a brother for [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], both names feel soft but strong, and just a little bit whimsical while being sturdy. [name_m]Alec[/name_m] makes such a handsome nickname too, and I love how meaningful it would be for you!
[name_m]Roger[/name_m] is a handsome name as well, but it doesn’t have the magic that [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] does. It also feels more dated still, though I’m sure it will be making a comeback soon enough.

[name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_m]Roger[/name_m] would both sound great with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]: you cannot go wrong here. But I am going to vote for [name_m]Roger[/name_m]. I think it’s a very handsome, yet underappreciated classic that could use some love (much like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]). [name_m]Roger[/name_m] has a strong meaning and a gentle sound, works well on any age and personality, and ultimately feels so familiar yet uncommon, which are all pluses, imho.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this could help! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] & [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
[name_m]Roger[/name_m] is a fantastic name, but I love [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] together!