Romantic, classic but strong girl names?

My friend is expecting her first child soon and like so many is struggling to choose the perfect name. She would like a classic name which is elegant, feminine and classy but also strong for a girl.

So far her shortlist includes [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] (too Disney?), [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

If anyone could provide their views to help narrow it down and/or offer further suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

From your list, I like [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], & [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] – just my opinion. And also, I [i]do[i] think that [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is too Disney. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] I helped!

Romantic, classic and strong, from your list-
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]

Suggesting-
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]

I love the names on the list. None of them I dislike so that’s not helpful for you. My favs are violet, [name_f]Christine[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] , [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Susan[/name_f].

[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Holly[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f]

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] are my favorites from that list!!
Other suggestions:

[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Brenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Vienna[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f]

The names on the list are beautiful classics (perhaps a couple aren’t as classic, though). The problem is that I don’t know what you mean by “strong”. These names themselves are strong in the sense that they aren’t weakened by the usual extra syllables such as “ella” or “iana” or “ina”. To me, a strong name should also suggest fortitude of character. Here are names from your list that I believe are strong:

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] (not [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], unless you are [name_m]French[/name_m])
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] ([name_f]Eve[/name_f] is stronger)
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] ([name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is stronger)
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (not [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], unless you are [name_m]French[/name_m])
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] (depends a bit on the wearer, though, because it also contains the suggestion of a “shy violet”.)

These names have slightly less personality. They are usable for what you want but more unassuming and middle-ground.
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]

More classic romantic names that are strong:

[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
Margeurite
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Regina[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Charmian[/name_f]
[name_f]Desdemona[/name_f]
[name_f]Phaedra[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_u]Nicola[/name_u]
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Phillipa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]/[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]/[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] (a rare frilly name that is also strong… but not in the form of [name_f]Georgette[/name_f])
[name_f]Antoinette[/name_f] (another slightly frilly name that is also strong)
[name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxana[/name_f]/[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Esperanza[/name_f]
[name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]

These names are plain and simple, no nonsense…but they are soft and don’t inspire confidence!
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]

Names that I don’t believe fit what you want (romantic, classic and strong):
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (not strong)
[name_f]Christine[/name_f] (although it belongs in all categories, it isn’t high in any of them)

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

I thought up some more:
Belle
Veronica
Angelique
Eliza
Lorraine
Artemis
Charlene
Jude
Constance
Valerie
Honora
Gloria
Sybella

I think that [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is lovely.

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], [name_f]Lilian[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Adele[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f]

Thank you everyone for such in depth feedback. After some consideration the list has now been narrowed down somewhat to [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Constance[/name_f]. She also likes [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. Any further thoughts?

To me, these names from her current list are classic but strong:

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

Another suggestion is [name_f]Mae[/name_f].

I love these from their list:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]- I think right now Frozen is in its popularity peak and will fade eventually. I don’t think the Disney association is all that terrible anyway, but I won’t let Disney ruin the name for me.
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

My favorites are [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] ( I once had a kindergarten student named [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and I thought it was adorable!) and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - all lovely and vintage. I personally don’t care for [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] very much. They are often used on pets. [name_f]Susan[/name_f] is my mother’s names. There are not too many baby Susans. That would be a refreshing choice.
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] (too Disney?) - Yes, it’s not a good time to be using [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] [name_m]IRL[/name_m]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - way too popular, still lovely though
[name_f]Constance[/name_f] and [name_f]Christine[/name_f] feel a bit blah - better as middle names
My faves are bold

What a gorgeous list! My favs:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]

All those names are beautiful and seem like my style. My favorites are [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], and maybe you could call her [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] so it wouldn’t be so Disney. But at this point, it may sound a bit too Disney, even though I love it. Some other suggestions are [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_u]Blair[/name_u], [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Farrah[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], and [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. So basically my whole list. Congratulations to your friend by the way!