Romeo and Juliet

I am rewriting [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. I need some name ideas for [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. I would like the names to tie back to the origanal characters some how. The story takes place in 2017 in [name_m]Washington[/name_m] DC. Thanks!

some ideas:

related to [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]: [name_f]Juliane[/name_f], [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_u]July[/name_u], [name_m]Julian[/name_m], [name_m]Julius[/name_m], [name_f]Giulia[/name_f]
related to [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]: [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_u]Roma[/name_u], [name_m]Romulus[/name_m], [name_m]Romain[/name_m], [name_f]Romana[/name_f], [name_f]Romola[/name_f], [name_m]Romanus[/name_m]

use other names from the play, like [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m] or [name_u]Paris[/name_u], or [name_m]Montague[/name_m] as a firstname

just any other medieval italian names:
[name_m]Adamo[/name_m], Aloisio, [name_m]Cesare[/name_m], [name_m]Domenico[/name_m], Doriano, [name_m]Ettore[/name_m], …
[name_f]Agata[/name_f], Alfonsina, [name_f]Carmela[/name_f], [name_f]Fabia[/name_f], [name_f]Federica[/name_f], [name_f]Gioconda[/name_f], …

[name_u]Julie[/name_u] and [name_m]Roman[/name_m] would be my choice, or [name_u]Julie[/name_u] and [name_u]Roy[/name_u].

I wouldn’t use a [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] variant, personally, because I’d find it hard to write the not-[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] as a different person to the actual [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. If that makes sense.

[name_m]Raymond[/name_m] & [name_f]Jolie[/name_f] / [name_u]Jodie[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_m]Paul[/name_m] & [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] & [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] & [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] & [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m] & [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_m]Damian[/name_m] & [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_m]Marshall[/name_m] & [name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_m]Todd[/name_m] & [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m] & [name_f]Saskia[/name_f]

You could switch the initials around, so:

[name_m]Julian[/name_m] & Romida
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] & [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] & [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] & [name_f]Rowena[/name_f]

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]:

• [name_f]Gillian[/name_f] / [name_f]Jillian[/name_f]: feminine variation of [name_m]Julian[/name_m], similar to [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] without being obvious (she could even go by [name_f]Jill[/name_f])
  • [name_f]Giulia[/name_f]: Italian variation of [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
  • [name_u]June[/name_u]: [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] sort of relates to [name_u]July[/name_u], so maybe another month name could work

[name_m]Romeo[/name_m]:

• [name_m]Adrian[/name_m]: [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] means “from [name_m]Rome[/name_m]”, and [name_m]Adrian[/name_m] means “from [name_u]Adria[/name_u]”, another Italian commune
  • [name_u]Remy[/name_u]: could work as an offbeat nickname for [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m]: means “where roses grow”, kind of relates to the “a rose of any other name” line from the play

It’s hard not finding names that don’t sound too obvious. I feel like I’ve already heard every Jul- name for [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] (both female and male) and there aren’t a lot of variations for [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] besides [name_m]Roman[/name_m] (since they share similar meanings).

I tried to find names relating to stars (like “star-crossed lovers”) but there aren’t a ton of options for masculine names. Then I tried to find names related to the sun ("…and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is the sun") but didn’t find a ton of usable results for that either.

From Capulet (it originates from the Italian word “capo” meaning “head”, or “headstrong”):

• [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]: means “misshapen head” (from what I can find, it derives from “helmeted head”, so, in a way, you could say it means strong head)

From [name_m]Montague[/name_m] ([name_m]French[/name_m] meaning “pointed hill” or “steep mountain”):

• [name_m]Aaron[/name_m]: “high mountain”
  • [name_m]Landon[/name_m]: “long hill”

I hope something here helps :slight_smile: Good luck

Personally, I like the aforementioned [name_f]Jolie[/name_f] for [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], and I like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] for [name_m]Romeo[/name_m], but I don’t think [name_f]Jolie[/name_f] and [name_u]Remy[/name_u] go together very well.

Suggestions:
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Monty[/name_m] (for [name_m]Montague[/name_m])
[name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] (^)

[name_f]Jill[/name_f]
[name_f]Jolie[/name_f]
[name_u]Justice[/name_u]
[name_f]Lettie[/name_f] (for Capulet)
[name_f]Callie[/name_f] (^)
[name_f]Tulia[/name_f] (sounds a bit like [name_f]Julia[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliet[/name_f])

[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] could be [name_m]Monty[/name_m] as a reference to [name_m]Montague[/name_m]

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] could be [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a reference to the famous “a rose by any other name”

I love [name_u]Roy[/name_u] for [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]!

[name_u]Julie[/name_u] feels dated to me. [name_u]Roy[/name_u] is so grandparent-age that it’s stylish.

One approach would be to write them as being from different cultural backgrounds and name her something very Hispanic, [name_f]Indian[/name_f], or middle-eastern that starts with J. [name_m]Add[/name_m] to your story the dimension of inherent prejudice from both families.

You could also go the socioeconomic difference route and name her [name_f]JaeLyn[/name_f], [name_f]Journee[/name_f], or similar. I don’t like this as much. It’s kind of bad chick flick but eh.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought.

You could always go with similar name meanings

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] means youthful
Auvita
[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Avivah[/name_f]
[name_f]Delight[/name_f]
[name_f]Ernestine[/name_f]
[name_f]Gillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Giulia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hebe[/name_f]
Hehe
[name_f]Hyacintha[/name_f]
[name_f]Iulia[/name_f]
Iulius
[name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
Joiyon
Julene
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Julianne[/name_u]
Juliarah
[name_u]Julie[/name_u]
[name_f]Julienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Julietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Julinka[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliska[/name_f]
[name_f]Julita[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
Juventas
Kesara
Kesare
[name_f]Leana[/name_f]
[name_f]Leanne[/name_f]
Leianna
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]
[name_f]Neola[/name_f]
[name_u]Page[/name_u]
[name_f]Sile[/name_f]
Sileas
Ujana
Yauvani
Yulene
Yulenka
[name_f]Yuliya[/name_f]

[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] means pilgrim to rome, roman
(here are names meaning pilgrim)
Baldner
Balter
Bilger
Dewar
[name_m]Doran[/name_m]
Pehl
[name_m]Pellegrino[/name_m]
Pellerin
[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
Waller

I particularly love a longer name with a modern nickname so [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] could be [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] called [name_u]Perry[/name_u] or [name_m]Roman[/name_m] called [name_f]Roe[/name_f] or [name_m]Manny[/name_m]. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] could be [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] called [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] or [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f] called [name_f]Tiny[/name_f]/[name_f]Tina[/name_f].

You could always use [name_m]Jerome[/name_m] “[name_m]Rome[/name_m]” for [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]