Romilly

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate hearing from some Australians especially!

I am loving the name Romilly at the moment but am just not sure how it flows off the tongue with an Aussie accent. Has anyone actually met a Romilly and how was it pronounced?

And what nickname did they typically go by? Part of the appeal is how many nickname options there are. I love the nickname Milly but can’t use Emilia so this would be a way to reach that. I also love the idea of Romy or Ro as well.

Also, what are siblings you know of a Romilly or suggestions?

Keen to hear people’s interactions with a Romilly!

[edit to add: not sure why it’s formatted like this - couldn’t get it to skip a line between paragraphs!]

[name_m]Not[/name_m] Australian, but [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] was one of the first names I fell in love with. I love her so much. Obvious nicknames, Ro, [name_f]Romy[/name_f], [name_f]Milly[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] could work too. I don’t know any Romilly’s, but my favourite siblings for her are [name_m]Tolliver[/name_m], [name_m]Pruitt[/name_m], and [name_f]Briony[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Romilly[/name_f] is gorgeous!

[name_m]Not[/name_m] an [name_f]Aussie[/name_f], so I can’t speak to pronunciation, but here in the US it would be ROM-ih-lee. At least, that’s the only way I’ve ever heard it? I found this example of a [name_f]Brit[/name_f] saying it and it sounded pretty similar to me, as well: https://forvo.com/word/romilly/#fr

[name_f]Milly[/name_f] is cute, but [name_f]Romy[/name_f] in general has so much of my heart that I’m not sure I could consider anything else. I would love to meet a [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] nn [name_f]Romy[/name_f]!

I only know of one person who used [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] - and her older daughter was named [name_f]Waverly[/name_f]. [name_f]She[/name_f] almost used [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Romilly[/name_f], so the 3 of them feel like a match made in heaven to me! I’m also majorly crushing on [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] lately so I also really love the idea of [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] as sisters too.

Good luck!

1 Like

I’m in the UK, so can’t comment on the Austrailian pronunciation but I do love [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] – my fave nickname is [name_f]Romy[/name_f], but [name_f]Milly[/name_f] and Ro are lovely too – maybe even [name_f]Mim[/name_f], [name_m]Mims[/name_m], or [name_m]Rollo[/name_m]

Some sibling suggestions…Romilly and…

[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Indigo[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Merryn[/name_f]
[name_m]Nash[/name_m]
[name_f]Marlowe[/name_f]
[name_m]Auden[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_f]Sasha[/name_f]
[name_f]Winry[/name_f]
[name_m]Sullivan[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Endellion[/name_m]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_m]Adair[/name_m]
[name_f]Cadence[/name_f]

1 Like

I’m in the UK, where it became familiar because of a newsreader named [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] Weeks. It has never been super popular, but I did know a [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] at school, she was two year groups above me. It’s such a beautiful name.

[name_f]She[/name_f] had a brother called [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], and a sister named [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f].

Australian here! I’ve never met a [name_f]Romilly[/name] but I find it really fun to say and I think it sounds good in our accent – I would pronounce it as rhyming with ‘homily’ (ROM-uh-lee), with the emphasis on the first syllable. I think it would be pretty wearable here, and [name_f]Romy[/name] and [name_f]Milly[/name] are both lovely nicknames.

I’m not from [name_m]Australia[/name_m] UK perspective here

I absolutely love [name_f]Romilly[/name_f]! I think [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] is elegant, sleek and distinctive. I really love the connection to [name_m]Rome[/name_m] and would take full advantage of this connection (mini break to [name_m]Rome[/name_m] to celebrate our [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] :rofl::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)! I love the nicknames [name_f]Millie[/name_f] & [name_f]Romy[/name_f] as well. I’m using the same pronunciation as @The_Bookwyrm.

I really like [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] & [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] together such a pretty pairing for siblings very starry. I also think [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] or [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Romilly[/name_f] is perfection.

[name_m]Brother[/name_m] names: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Laszlo[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Florian[/name_m], [name_m]Magnus[/name_m], [name_f]Pascoe[/name_f], [name_m]Etienne[/name_m], [name_m]Moses[/name_m] + [name_m]Philemon[/name_m]

[name_f]Sister[/name_f] names: [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Amalia[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f] + [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

[name_f]Aussie[/name_f] here! I personally have not met any Romilly’s yet but would be delighted to as it’s such a lovely name! I’ve heard it pronounced both ‘ROM-uh-lee’ or ROM-il-lee’ - so some put emphasis on the [name_f]Milly[/name_f] part but I think when said fast or called out it’s less defined. Also the ‘o’ with a short sound, like in the word [name_f]Opera[/name_f] not [name_m]Ocean[/name_m].

I love [name_f]Romy[/name_f] and [name_f]Milly[/name_f] as nickname options too. For siblings, I could see it pairing beautifully with [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_m]Felix[/name_m] or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. Such a pretty name!