Ronald/Veronica = Ronia?

Hello all! This is my first post. Very exciting.

I recently came across the name [name]Ronia[/name] (I would pronounce it [name]RAHN[/name]-ya), possible nn [name]Ronnie[/name]. I really like it because I’ve been looking for a name to honor my late grandfather, [name]Ronald[/name]. My husband said “no” to naming a child [name]Ronald[/name], so that’s out. But I figure it can also be like passing on my name, which is [name]Veronica[/name]. All in one!

Does it seem like too foreign of a name? I also like its Hebrew meaning, “God’s joyful song”. I’m very caucasian, so I don’t want it to be TOO out there.

Thanks!

I really like it. It has a lovely sound, a lovely meaning, and is easy to spell/pronounce. It’s unusual, but that’s a plus in my book. To top it off, it’s an elegant way to honor your grandfather. It has a lot of attributes that add up to making it a wonderful name.

I don’t think it would be weird on a Caucasian child. I don’t have any previous association with the name, so I have no assumptions about what a [name]Ronia[/name] would look like. That being said, there will always be some rude person who will make a snotty comment about any name they haven’t heard before.

I understand that you are trying to honor your father’s name, but I wonder if it bothers you that [name]Ronia[/name] is extremely similar to your own name, [name]Veronica[/name]. Also, I would be inclined to pronounce [name]Ronia[/name] as Row-nia. If you really like the name, I would spell it [name]Rania[/name], as in [name]Queen[/name] [name]Rania[/name] of [name]Jordan[/name] (who is an excellent role model by the way!)

What about using your grandfather’s last name as a first or middle name?

Thanks, everyone! This is even more exciting than getting e-mail.

[name]Do[/name] you think if it was spelled Ronya it would look more like the “rahn-yah” sound?

My grandfather’s last name is a good idea (and a good last name for that matter), but it’s not much of a “real” name name. It’s Veberes, which is hazardous for people to spell and pronounce, and my last name starts with a V also.

I don’t see it as a problem on a Caucasian child at all. It sounds very Russian to me. I’m personally not a fan of the name, but if you like it then that’s all that matters. For a son, you might want to consider [name]Ronan[/name] to honor a [name]Ronald[/name].

Maybe you could consider the name [name]Ronica[/name] also. I know a lovely girl with that name. She went to HS with me, and everyone liked her name. I always thought it had an exotic flair.