Rook?

Going through our list of names and my partner put down the name Rookwood. At first it sounded funny to me, but as the list narrows i keep leaving it on there as sort of a special favorite. Im not sure and am rather conflicted about how it sounds or feels… Weird but sorta unique, but very hard to say for children. Perhaps shortening it to Rook, or Rouke perhaps? I dont know, but i keep coming back to this potential name.

Where I live Rook is an extremely popular card game (google it) not a name. What about a different R name like [name_m]Rourke[/name_m], [name_m]Rhett[/name_m], [name_u]Rowen[/name_u], [name_u]Rory[/name_u] etc.

Yes I thought of the card game as well.

To me is it a surname and a bird. It could work though, I prefer Rook to Rookwood.

Rook makes me think of the chess piece. I like the idea but it may be a bit too odd for everyday use… probably best as a middle, or for a pet. Rookwood seems like a surname if anything, but more like a combination of two more or less unrelated words, rook (the chess piece) and wood (the building material, or a forest).

I like Rook but not as a first name. I would pronounce Rouke different to Rook, I would say it more like Roo-ick.

I prefer Rockwood with the possible nickname of [name_m]Rocky[/name_m].

Rook is quite intriguing as a name! I like the suggestion of [name_m]Rourke[/name_m] or even [name_m]Yorke[/name_m] as a more accessible alternative. Rook would make a lovely middle, though.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was the part of the ear called a rook. It’s a place people sometimes like to get pierced. [name_f]My[/name_f] second thought was a chess piece.

[name_m]Both[/name_m] Rook and Rookwood are a no go for a person name, [name_f]IMO[/name_f].