Rory vs. Rowan

If I end up having a redheaded boy I was thinking about using one of these two names (given their meanings). I was thinking that [name]Rowan[/name] might not flow as well with my surname (since it is also two syllables and ends in -n, -son to be exact), but it seems that [name]Rory[/name] is more difficult for some to pronounce (as [name]Pam[/name] can attest to). I know that both names are more or less unisex, but that doesn’t bother me. Which one do you like better?

I like [name]Rowan[/name], but its hard to say without knowing exactly what your last name is.
[name]Rory[/name] is nice as well, but I think [name]Rowan[/name] is a little more masculine sounding.
[name]Just[/name] my opinion of course. You will be happy with whatever you pick!
good luck!

I believe [name]Reed[/name] also has the same meaning!?

I agree with [name]Gracie[/name], and really like [name]Erin[/name]'s [name]Reed[/name] idea.

Other names meaning red:
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Radley[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Redmond[/name]

Good luck!

i work i child care and have come across 2 rowan’s but there names are spelt rohan and they are both lovely kids but they can be cheeky at times i haven’t yet come across a rory yet but i really like that name but there both nice names

I think I like [name]Rory[/name] best. I have taught a few Rorys’ (I’m Scottish) and a few Rowans’ too, but the little Rowans’ I know are all girlies. In fact, a friend of mine just had a baby girl and has named her [name]Rowan[/name], I think I prefer it for girls :slight_smile:

[name]Gracie[/name]

I really dislike the name [name]Rory[/name] - I find it very very hard to say.

[name]Rowan[/name]/[name]Rohan[/name] is a much better name. I consider [name]Rowan[/name] the more feminine spelling and [name]Rowen[/name] more masculine, but either work. [name]Rohan[/name] is definitely masculine but it is pronounced slightly differently - not sure if that would bother you.

(the only [name]Rory[/name] I ever knew was a girl)

BTW when do you know is your child is a redhead? Doesn’t the hair color of some babies change?

[name]Both[/name] of these sound too feminine for my taste. [name]Redmond[/name] is cool.

I vote for [name]Rowan[/name] (or [name]Rowen[/name]) for a boy. But I’m biased…DS is named [name]Owen[/name]!